Justice's wife launches 'tea party' group

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Justice's wife launches 'tea party' group - latimes.com

As Virginia Thomas tells it in her soft-spoken, Midwestern cadence, the story of her involvement in the "tea party" movement is the tale of an average citizen in action.

"I am an ordinary citizen from Omaha, Neb., who just may have the chance to preserve liberty along with you and other people like you," she said at a recent panel discussion with tea party leaders in Washington. Thomas went on to count herself among those energized into action by President Obama's "hard-left agenda."

But Thomas is no ordinary activist.

She is the wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, and she has launched a tea-party-linked group that could test the traditional notions of political impartiality for the court.

In January, Virginia Thomas created Liberty Central Inc., a nonprofit lobbying group whose website will organize activism around a set of conservative "core principles," she said.

The group plans to issue score cards for Congress members and be involved in the November election, although Thomas would not specify how. She said it would accept donations from various sources -- including corporations -- as allowed under campaign finance rules recently loosened by the Supreme Court.

"I adore all the new citizen patriots who are rising up across this country," Thomas, who goes by Ginni, said on the panel at the Conservative Political Action Conference. "I have felt called to the front lines with you, with my fellow citizens, to preserve what made America great."

Virginia Thomas has long been a passionate voice for conservative views. She has worked for former Republican Rep. Dick Armey of Texas and for the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank with strong ties to the GOP.

In 2000, while at the Heritage Foundation, she was recruiting staff for a possible George W. Bush administration as her husband was hearing the case that would decide the election. When journalists reported her work, Thomas said she saw no conflict of interest and that she rarely discussed court matters with her husband.

Although Liberty Central is a nonpartisan group, its website shows an affinity for conservative principles. Her biography notes that Thomas is a fan of Rush Limbaugh and Mark Levin, author of "Men in Black: How the Supreme Court is Destroying America."

"She is intrigued by Glenn Beck and listening carefully," the bio says.

As a 501(c)(4) nonprofit, Liberty Central can raise unlimited amounts of corporate money and largely avoid disclosing its donors.

And it all comes full circle.

Thoughts USMB?

Virginia has the same right as any citizen to engage in the political process.

Right.

And if a more Liberal member's wife or husband of the SCOTUS created a Coffee Party and took unlimited amounts of donations from corporations, I don't think you'd be feeling the same way.

Last edited:

Right.

And if a more Liberal member of the SCOTUS created a Coffee Party and took unlimited amounts of donations from corporations, I don't think you'd be feeling the same way.

Of course not!

And in my opinion Thomas is the biggest partisan whipping boy of the Supreme court.

Right.

And if a more Liberal member's wife or husband of the SCOTUS created a Coffee Party and took unlimited amounts of donations from corporations, I don't think you'd be feeling the same way.

You are implying that the spouse of a famous or influential person doesn't have rights. Seems pretty wrong to me.

I don't see a problem with what she is doing legally speaking. As to the donation aspect, I see no reason to get corporations involved. The whole purpose of the move is to be a grass roots campaign of "We The People."

You are implying that the spouse of a famous or influential person doesn't have rights. Seems pretty wrong to me.

Nope, what you're doing is making assumptions on my part.

Quite dishonest of you Annie. And a long stretch of dishonesty at that.

Maybe you could actually address my question instead of trying to attack me?

YOu are too much of a partisan hack to get Dogbert's point.

His point is to insinuate that the wife of a Supreme Court Justice is less than a citizen.

And you are too dense to grok it.

I don't see a problem with what she is doing legally speaking. As to the donation aspect, I see no reason to get corporations involved. The whole purpose of the move is to be a grass roots campaign of "We The People."

No, of course not. Corporations wouldn't donate to her, I mean it's not like she's married to a SCOTUS or anythi- OWAI. :redface:

His point is to insinuate that the wife of a Supreme Court Justice is less than a citizen.

And swing and a miss. 0 for 2 on your part. Want to try again?

Right.

As long as she follows the law, including full disclosure, then she is within her rights.

As long as she follows the law, including full disclosure, then she is within her rights.

You didn't read the article. That much is apparent.

As a 501(c)(4) nonprofit, Liberty Central can raise unlimited amounts of corporate money and largely avoid disclosing its donors.

Nope, what you're doing is making assumptions on my part.

Quite dishonest of you Annie. And a long stretch of dishonesty at that.

Maybe you could actually address my question instead of trying to attack me?

Nothing dishonest at all. Stop projecting.

And swing and a miss. 0 for 2 on your part. Want to try again?

Discussing anything with you is like shooting fish in a barrel.

But go ahead - continue to attack Virginia Thomas for exercising the freedom which is available to you as a citizen.

Only one of us who is projecting is you. I've posted nothing but the facts. You're projecting your emotions out on my posting of this because you don't like it.

Quite sad that you have to act in such a dishonest manner to those who post topics that you disagree with. :eusa_eh:

Only one of us who is projecting is you. I've posted nothing but the facts. You're projecting your emotions out on my posting of this because you don't like it.

Quite sad that you have to act in such a dishonest manner to those who post topics that you disagree with. :eusa_eh:

I think I missed where you even stated your opinion?:confused:

:lol::lol:

Forum List

Back