Justice Department signals it plans to ask the Supreme Court to reinstate Biden's student debt relief program

peacefan

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2018
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Justice Department signals it plans to ask the Supreme Court to reinstate Biden's student debt relief program
The Justice Department indicated in a court filing Thursday that it plans to ask the Supreme Court to reinstate the Biden administration's student debt relief program.

Remote : Thu, 17 Nov 2022 23:29:23 GMT
Local : 2022-11-18(Friday) 00 : 29 : 23

Found via World Headlines on nicer.app

i think this is a good idea.
people shouldn't be kept in debt all of their lives.

how about you people reading this thread?
please provide proper argumentation, and try to stay polite towards each other.

Millions have paid off their student loans, why should they be responsible for shirkers?

Millions never had student loans, why should they be responsible for shirkers?

Congress could allow the discharge of some or all of the debt in bankruptcy which would be far more appropriate.

The Justice Department indicated in a court filing Thursday that it plans to ask the Supreme Court to reinstate the Biden administration's student debt relief program.

No. It is a money thing. It should be decided by the House and Senate and if they can get it through it, sent to a president.
Most (except for idiots) are not in hock on student debt all their lives. The ones that are, make poor decision, but responsible for their decisions, starting at age 18.
Parents and student loans didn't pay mine and I graduated student debt free. I helped all three of mine as was needed to the extent I could or the wanted it. One didn't choose to stay in school. The other two came out without owing more than they could pay off, the first few months after finishing, having worked part-time/full time and/or military while attending, of course, smart kids, get lots of scholarship and grant money, too. If you go out and borrow the money for the most expensive degree(s) and it does not pay off, you either can't handle money intelligently, can't pick a major in demand 4 to 6 years out, or you just Fkd around in school, avoiding the real world while running up debt you are responsible for. Tough luck, kid.

No. It is a money thing. It should be decided by the House and Senate and if they can get it through it, sent to a president.
Most (except for idiots) are not in hock on student debt all their lives. The ones that are, make poor decision, but responsible for their decisions, starting at age 18.
Parents and student loans didn't pay mine and I graduated student debt free. I helped all three of mine as was needed to the extent I could or the wanted it. One didn't choose to stay in school. The other two came out without owing more than they could pay off, the first few months after finishing, having worked part-time/full time and/or military while attending, of course, smart kids, get lots of scholarship and grant money, too. If you go out and borrow the money for the most expensive degree(s) and it does not pay off, you either can't handle money intelligently, can't pick a major in demand 4 to 6 years out, or you just Fkd around in school, avoiding the real world while running up debt you are responsible for. Tough luck, kid.
yeah... you're right.. some people just work themselves into debt on their own all the time.. (i didn't, nor will, for the record)..
i'll leave this one for the House & Senate & all other applicable branches of government then, which may need to include the Supreme Court (nobody knows yet)..

It is not news that the case will be appealed to the USSC. Furthermore, it is clear that the gambit will be shot down; the only question is which of the several reasons will be cited most prominently - Unconstitutional or illegal.

THis is part of the current Democrat/Leftist strategy. Try to pin everything "bad" on Republicans. Consider also the slapdash legislation now being pushed to "protect" gay marriage. It is superfluous and silly, but the Democrats want to get some Republicans on the hook for "voting against gay rights."

Leftists are evil.

This is a matter of the divisions of government in the US.

It is a power, strictly reserved for the Congress. I don't even know why the administration is bothering to appeal, unless for optics for its political base?

Even High School students should know this.

Power of the Purse​

1668740414335.png

yeah... you're right.. some people just work themselves into debt on their own all the time.. (i didn't, nor will, for the record)..
i'll leave this one for the House & Senate & all other applicable branches of government then, which may need to include the Supreme Court (nobody knows yet)..
It has nothing to do with that, that is just not how our government is organized.

If the people want the government to relieve folks of their student debt, or take the government elites to task for their misguided laws, that make ONLY student debt, nearly ineligible for bankruptcy laws, they need to elect representatives that are not beholden to big bankers and financial industry lobbyists.

I lost count of how many times Trump was able to have his corporate holding companies declare bankruptcy which affected the lives of thousands. If dumb eighteen year olds run into life problems? TOO BAD.

What if some poor folks take out student loans, and then, for whatever reason, have a series of unexpected life circumstances, that make paying them back, impossible, w/o living their entire lives in debt? I've seen documentaries on it. It happens. Folks dumb at eighteen, switch to useless majors, or industries where it costs way more to get a degree than the degree pays? It is like upside down mortgages. But in this case? They are screwed, for life. All they can do, is make the interest payments and maybe a bit of principle a year.

. . . and it lasts decades. It makes buying homes, getting married, and having children, impossible.

I'm not opposed to making dumb people be punished for their stupidity. . . but for the rest of their lives? Denying them the chance to get married, own homes, or have a family?

It has nothing to do with that, that is just not how our government is organized.

If the people want the government to relieve folks of their student debt, or take the government elites to task for their misguided laws, that make ONLY student debt, nearly ineligible for bankruptcy laws, they need to elect representatives that are not beholden to big bankers and financial industry lobbyists.

I lost count of how many times Trump was able to have his corporate holding companies declare bankruptcy which affected the lives of thousands. If dumb eighteen year olds run into life problems? TOO BAD.

What if some poor folks take out student loans, and then, for whatever reason, have a series of unexpected life circumstances, that make paying them back, impossible, w/o living their entire lives in debt? I've seen documentaries on it. It happens. Folks dumb at eighteen, switch to useless majors, or industries where it costs way more to get a degree than the degree pays? It is like upside down mortgages. But in this case? They are screwed, for life. All they can do, is make the interest payments and maybe a bit of principle a year.

. . . and it lasts decades. It makes buying homes, getting married, and having children, impossible.

I'm not opposed to making dumb people be punished for their stupidity. . . but for the rest of their lives? Denying them the chance to get married, own homes, or have a family?

Several things need to happen here: first is that student loans need to be taken out of the hands of government and given back to the private market where this will never be an issue again. Second thing that needs to happen is pass a law that nobody can attend college until at least the age of 20. That would give kids time enough to actually weigh all their options when choosing a course, and if they continue to live with mom and dad, enable them to save all their money thus lowering their liability on borrowing money.

When I was working I ran across several other drivers that had a college degree. They went into trucking because the jobs were plentiful and better paying than the jobs they could get with their degrees. You learn these things by working first instead of going blindly into a college with no experience at anything expecting a six figure job carrying a briefcase around.

I think in many cases after working a few years first, younger people will totally not consider college and perhaps find a career in another field of work or attend trade school. Much cheaper, get into the workforce faster, enable them to run their own business if they like, and never be a burden on taxpayers ever again.

They can ask away. Others have already posted why it is wrong in the first place but I think the obvious reality here is that the SCOTUS is not going to agree with Biden here.

This is obviously a political move as DGS pointed out. They are only doing this because they want to blame the republicans for stopping Biden's unconstitutional act. That has been the standard for congress over the last few years, complain that something needs to be done until Biden does it unconstitutionally rather than through legal legislation. Complain about republicans when the courts slaps it down.

Everyone says they do not want a king then bitches that the president isn't acting like a king. It is fucking old.

This is a matter of the divisions of government in the US.

It is a power, strictly reserved for the Congress. I don't even know why the administration is bothering to appeal, unless for optics for its political base?

Even High School students should know this.

Power of the Purse​

View attachment 727552

So they can blame the Republicans when it is shot down. The fact it was totally illegal to introduce the way it was is lost on the Dim sheeple.

Forum List

Back