Justice Department rushing to expand execution methods like firing squads for federal death row inmates

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
I'm curious as to what the rush may be about

By Christina Carrega

Updated 4:30 PM ET, Fri November 27, 2020
Lethal injection table. Source: Death Penalty Information Center

(CNN)The Justice Department has rushed to change the rules around federal death penalties as they expedite a slew of scheduled executions in the final days of the Trump administration, including expanding possible execution methods to include electrocution and death by firing squad.
The approved amendment to the "Manner of Federal Executions" rule gives federal prosecutors a wider variety of options for execution in order to avoid delays if the state in which the inmate was sentenced doesn't provide other alternatives.

The rule was included among three dozen policy changes President Donald Trump is attempting to push through before the end of his term. The proposed changes were first reported by ProPublica.
Attorney General William Barr and the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs pushed the rule forward. Once the approved amendment is published in the Federal Register -- which could come as early as Friday, according to a Justice Department official -- it will become effective in 30 days.

It ultimately may be moot since President-elect Joe Biden campaigned to abolish the federal death penalty and four of the five inmates scheduled for execution already have their manner selected -- lethal injection.

The Justice Department did not provide comment on why the new rule was made.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/27/politics/federal-execution-new-rule-firing-squads/index.html

It ultimately may be moot since President-elect Joe Biden campaigned to abolish the federal death penalty and four of the five inmates scheduled for execution already have their manner selected -- lethal injection.
The go unconscous, quit breathing, heart stops, pronounced dead, and then a doctor comes into the morgue with an antidote to the lethal injection, and the patient come back to life under witness protection with new identity papers, as long as he agrees to forfeit his gun rights.

People like me don't need or want that kind of "protection."

We are going to have to put a lot of people down in the next several years. Comrade Stalin didn't have nearly as many people to deal with, and they were largely unarmed. By the time we're done Mao's statistics are going to be a blip in history, at least until we erase it. Progress simply can not be made when so many people are programmed to be greedy racists who think they should be able to have millions of dollars simply because they manage a few hundred employees. Soviet Commissars easily controlled 1000's of workers each and ushered in 40 years of constant prosperity for the real workers after WW2 because the proles were finally put in line with a little brutality.

Reminds me of the Nazis rushing to execute Jews because they knew the Allies were coming
Are you comparing criminals who were tried and convicted to completely innocent Jewish people? Wow.

Yes, I am condemning rushing executions because you are afraid someone may allow them to live.

Despicable.
The US should be better than that

By Christina Carrega

(CNN)The Justice Department has rushed to change the rules around federal death penalties as they expedite a slew of scheduled executions in the final days of the Trump administration, including expanding possible execution methods to include electrocution and death by firing squad.
The approved amendment to the "Manner of Federal Executions" rule gives federal prosecutors a wider variety of options for execution in order to avoid delays if the state in which the inmate was sentenced doesn't provide other alternatives.

The rule was included among three dozen policy changes President Donald Trump is attempting to push through before the end of his term. The proposed changes were first reported by ProPublica.
Attorney General William Barr and the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs pushed the rule forward. Once the approved amendment is published in the Federal Register -- which could come as early as Friday, according to a Justice Department official -- it will become effective in 30 days.

Justice Department rushing to expand execution methods like firing squads for federal death row inmates

The "rush" is due to the high degree of probability that the end of the Trump Era may be nigh.

Last chance.

In any event, I don't see the problem at all. A firing squad doesn't attract some of the same bullshit lethal injection does and this will cut out some of the silly appeals.

Reminds me of the Nazis rushing to execute Jews because they knew the Allies were coming
Are you comparing criminals who were tried and convicted to completely innocent Jewish people? Wow.

Yes, I am condemning rushing executions because you are afraid someone may allow them to live.

Despicable.
The US should be better than that

where is the "rush", rw? The people getting sat down in the electric chair have been waiting for a dozen years or more.

goody for them.

I prefer treating cancer harshly.

not babying it.

By Christina Carrega

There are too many Dimbocraps.

I'm against capital punishment now. To big of a chance of an irreversible error.

In in favor of life in prison in solitary confinement. Perfectly legal in the United States.

Forum List

Back