Justice delayed is justice denied

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Relief delayed for prisoners deemed wrongfully convicted - latimes.com

Justice delayed was justice denied for Omer Harland Gallion. He died in prison in his sixth year of waiting for U.S. District Judge Percy Anderson to act on a decision that he had been wrongfully convicted and should be released or retried.

Anderson took no action until December, when he dismissed the matter as moot after an attorney brought Gallion's death to his attention.

Two other cases in which junior judicial officials found grounds for striking prisoners' felony convictions also languished unattended by Anderson for five and a half and eight years, respectively. Another prisoner who petitioned for relief in 2002 is still waiting for an answer.

Prisoners who appeal to federal judges with claims of wrongful conviction are rarely successful in their quests for relief, known as writs of habeas corpus, "the great writ" that is a hallmark of American justice. Only 1 in 284 petitions is approved, according to a 2006 report by a Vanderbilt University law professor. But ignoring recommendations for relief in the few meritorious cases among the 17,000 or so filed each year raises concern about a judge's objectivity, judicial scholars say.

Gee. YA THINK?!

Justice denied is inversely proportional to the average retainer paid to the attorney entrusted.

It's 'American Style'.

:D

Typical, Betty the liberal leaves out a critical part of the argument. Gallion was indicted and tried and convicted in a timely Constitutional manner. Federal appeals are taken up on a first come first serve basis. Let's say he served six years. The appeal was probably four years old. Not bad for the federal system.

Relief delayed for prisoners deemed wrongfully convicted - latimes.com

Justice delayed was justice denied for Omer Harland Gallion. He died in prison in his sixth year of waiting for U.S. District Judge Percy Anderson to act on a decision that he had been wrongfully convicted and should be released or retried.

Anderson took no action until December, when he dismissed the matter as moot after an attorney brought Gallion's death to his attention.

Two other cases in which junior judicial officials found grounds for striking prisoners' felony convictions also languished unattended by Anderson for five and a half and eight years, respectively. Another prisoner who petitioned for relief in 2002 is still waiting for an answer.

Prisoners who appeal to federal judges with claims of wrongful conviction are rarely successful in their quests for relief, known as writs of habeas corpus, "the great writ" that is a hallmark of American justice. Only 1 in 284 petitions is approved, according to a 2006 report by a Vanderbilt University law professor. But ignoring recommendations for relief in the few meritorious cases among the 17,000 or so filed each year raises concern about a judge's objectivity, judicial scholars say.

Gee. YA THINK?!

I concur. However, if there is evidence showing a prisoner did not commit a crime attributed to him or her, on what grounds then is such a person being held in prison?

You know, while I am tough on crime, I do not believe in having people convicted without solid evidence. I would rather see even the guilty walk free than see an innocent behind bars. And considering the mindset of some of our party politicians, I somewhere stated that:

For the well-being of a State or the nation, it would be best to have more democrats in criminal courts (to ascertain innocent people are not wrongfully convicted) and more republican judges in family courts (to make sure deadbeat parent, not taxpayers, are held liable for the upbringing of their offspring).

I concur. However, if there is evidence showing a prisoner did not commit a crime attributed to him or her, on what grounds then is such a person being held in prison?

You know, while I am tough on crime, I do not believe in having people convicted without solid evidence. I would rather see even the guilty walk free than see an innocent behind bars. And considering the mindset of some of our party politicians, I somewhere stated that:

For the well-being of a State or the nation, it would be best to have more democrats in criminal courts(to ascertain innocent people are not wrongfully convicted) and more republican judges in family courts (to make sure deadbeat parent, not taxpayers, are held liable for the upbringing of their offspring).

Politics do not override justice in family courts, imho. Criminals convicted on circumstantial evidence include:

Scott Peterson
Timothy McVeigh
Richard Schmidt
Charles Stobaugh

Elizabeth Hawes
Debra Brown

For the well-being of a State or the nation, it would be best to have more democrats in criminal courts (to ascertain innocent people are not wrongfully convicted) and more republican judges in family courts (to make sure deadbeat parent, not taxpayers, are held liable for the upbringing of their offspring).

Wrongful convictions don't bother today's conservatives. For them, the arrest is the conviction. Once that has taken place, they find trials a bothersome nuisance standing between the fact of the arrest and inevitable imprisonment.

Wrongful convictions don't bother today's conservatives. For them, the arrest is the conviction. Once that has taken place, they find trials a bothersome nuisance standing between the fact of the arrest and inevitable imprisonment.

Except some of us, Mr. Costanza, who think a certain professor from Northwestern University School of Law rocks... :)
Whose amazing legacy is the Innocence Project.:thanks:

I agree that justice has to given in due time but delaying doesn't mean that it is denied.It takes a lot of time in the Govt offices to get the job done but it doesn't mean that they aren't working.

For the well-being of a State or the nation, it would be best to have more democrats in criminal courts(to ascertain innocent people are not wrongfully convicted) and more republican judges in family courts (to make sure deadbeat parent, not taxpayers, are held liable for the upbringing of their offspring).

Politics do not override justice in family courts, imho. Criminals convicted on circumstantial evidence include:

Scott Peterson
Timothy McVeigh
Richard Schmidt
Charles Stobaugh

Elizabeth Hawes
Debra Brown

I know what politics is not supposed to do, though it is known to do otherwise. All I am saying is that since republicans tend to be folks who love to cross t and dot i (especially when it comes to other people), putting them in positions where they can exercise their toughness skills to benefit of society and without unnecessarily hurting society is best. And, I gave you my opinion where I believe republican judges would best serve the public.

Such a sorry story. Down here in Texas, we convict and send people to death row faster than you can say your name without evidence and without ever considering just how costly such hate-driven and hasty tactics can backfire upon innocent taxpayers. In the past several months, several innocent on death row have been exonerated after years behind bars and at millions billed to taxpayers!

Forum List

Back