Justice Breyer says Constitutional not important

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061203/ap_on_go_su_co/breyer_democracy

Justice Stephen G. Breyer says the Supreme Court must promote the political rights of minorities and look beyond the Constitution's text when necessary to ensure that "no one gets too powerful."

No Justice Breyer. You are supposed to promote the Constitution and the law. Not ignore it when you feel its covenient. If the law says the minority wins, the minority wins; if the law says the minority loses, the minority loses. You dont have the right to ignore the Constitution because you dont like the results.

In his interview, Breyer argued that in some cases it wouldn't make sense to strictly follow the Constitution because phrases such as "freedom of speech" are vague. Judges must look at the real-world context — not focus solely on framers' intent, as Scalia has argued — because society is constantly evolving, he said.

Moral relativists and Clinton SCOTUS nominees, hand and glove.

"Those words, 'the freedom of speech,' 'Congress shall pass no law abridging the freedom of speech' — neither they, the founders, nor those words tell you how to apply it to the Internet," Breyer said

???

He has trouble applying the phrase "freedom to speech" to the Internet? Then, he'd better look at the real-world context - there is an Internet and there is the constitutional phrase "freedom of speech" - but NOT focus on framers' intent because society is constantly evolving?

"Evolving" coming from an activist judge always spells "T-R-O-U-B-L-E", and to think he's Clinton better choice.

Too bad he wasn't a Bush appointee, then we'd have our liberal Constitutional defenders screaming about it too.
:lalala:

This is another example why we need an impeachment mechanism for justices who, like Breyer, exhibit a total lack of understanding of the basic tenets of their job.

And how ironic that he is afraid of people "becoming too powerful", when I would be hard-pressed to think of a better example of someone who is becoming just that.

This is another example why we need an impeachment mechanism for justices who, like Breyer, exhibit a total lack of understanding of the basic tenets of their job.

And how ironic that he is afraid of people "becoming too powerful", when I would be hard-pressed to think of a better example of someone who is becoming just that.

Or better yet not elect people that put such morons in these positions.

Wait, so relying on federal politicians to appoint federal (lifetime) employees to jobs where they are supposed to check the power of the politicians doesn't work very well? You mean to tell me that one branch of the feds won't protect against excessive power-grabbing by another branch of the feds?

Why, that's preposterous!

Wait, so relying on federal politicians to appoint federal (lifetime) employees to jobs where they are supposed to check the power of the politicians doesn't work very well? You mean to tell me that one branch of the feds won't protect against excessive power-grabbing by another branch of the feds?

Why, that's preposterous!

right, who would've dreamed they'd work together like that...:shocked1:...hand and glove...i'm shocked, just shocked....political appointees who are biased...it's a conspiracy i tell ya....

New Topics

Forum List

Back