Just started writing about aging and let it go where it went.

Ray9

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2016
As some age their world’s become smaller and their minds less sharp. I am now 75 years old and processing speed is not what it once was. Everything is still there but it takes a few seconds or sometimes minutes to access it. I find this when I watch Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy with my wife. We used to be 50-50 on wheel, now she is a little faster. Jeopardy was always better for her because I have never been a fact or trivia person.

She knows all the names of all the people who ever did anything on TV, films, or politics. I just never cared about facts that much. To me it is more important to understand what happened, not who did it. Maybe it’s the way my brain is wired genetically or something.

I have trouble with names; always have. It just took me about five minutes to think of the word “esoteric”. I knew the word I wanted but I could not get it instantaneously while I was writing. Sometimes it is like I go to the library and forget the Dewey Decimal System but eventually get the word by dead reckoning. I knew that word existed and was appropriate to use but it was camouflaged in the bottom of the box with a bunch of junk that had to be sorted and shifted first. I hope you understand.

The brain is a mysterious artifact of the human organism. My brain is not like my wife’s brain. I guess my brain has a mind of its own. Incidentally, my wife’s brain is smaller by volume and weight than mine as are the brains of most females compared to males. Poor Adam did not know this. He loved Eve but did not realize she could be gullible and easy to trick because of that smaller brain. They make them cute so we will overlook that fact-it worked in paradise, and it is still working here in the modern world.

My wife knows esoteric stuff that is worthless unless she goes on one of those shows and competes with others to win. I see the big picture very clearly and that is all that matters.

As some age their world’s become smaller and their minds less sharp. I am now 75 years old and processing speed is not what it once was. Everything is still there but it takes a few seconds or sometimes minutes to access it. I find this when I watch Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy with my wife. We used to be 50-50 on wheel, now she is a little faster. Jeopardy was always better for her because I have never been a fact or trivia person.

She knows all the names of all the people who ever did anything on TV, films, or politics. I just never cared about facts that much. To me it is more important to understand what happened, not who did it. Maybe it’s the way my brain is wired genetically or something.

I have trouble with names; always have. It just took me about five minutes to think of the word “esoteric”. I knew the word I wanted but I could not get it instantaneously while I was writing. Sometimes it is like I go to the library and forget the Dewey Decimal System but eventually get the word by dead reckoning. I knew that word existed and was appropriate to use but it was camouflaged in the bottom of the box with a bunch of junk that had to be sorted and shifted first. I hope you understand.

The brain is a mysterious artifact of the human organism. My brain is not like my wife’s brain. I guess my brain has a mind of its own. Incidentally, my wife’s brain is smaller by volume and weight than mine as are the brains of most females compared to males. Poor Adam did not know this. He loved Eve but did not realize she could be gullible and easy to trick because of that smaller brain. They make them cute so we will overlook that fact-it worked in paradise, and it is still working here in the modern world.

My wife knows esoteric stuff that is worthless unless she goes on one of those shows and competes with others to win. I see the big picture very clearly and that is all that matters.
Get back in the game....

Nice post Ray. I'm not sure I concur with brain volume equating to intelligence but it is amazing how differently they all process information. The most amusing about my wife is her total inability with directions. We've been living in the same city for decades but I still have to tell her where to turn when we're going somewhere she has been to many times. I have no idea how she gets around by herself. I envision lots of loop backs during her drives around town.

Thanks for the nice, thoughtful post, Ray. Well done. I find that as I get older (I'm 61) things and words are a little bit harder to remember. I'm also not as good as remembering people's names. It's all part of aging and we all have to deal with it sooner or later.
I have been doing Sudoku puzzle whenever i fly, because not only does it pass the time, but keeps my mind sharp with numbers. Great mental exercise.

Amazon product

Thanks for the nice, thoughtful post, Ray. Well done. I find that as I get older (I'm 61) things and words are a little bit harder to remember. I'm also not as good as remembering people's names. It's all part of aging and we all have to deal with it sooner or later.
Start putting movies with names and soon you can remember what the name is. Had a server come to my table in a local restaurant and her name was Molly. I put the unsinkable Molly Brown as the movie, never forget the name now.

Nice post Ray. I'm not sure I concur with brain volume equating to intelligence but it is amazing how differently they all process information. The most amusing about my wife is her total inability with directions. We've been living in the same city for decades but I still have to tell her where to turn when we're going somewhere she has been to many times. I have no idea how she gets around by herself. I envision lots of loop backs during her drives around town.
You should let her drive once in a while.

Only lazy, careless writers or drug addicts let things "go where it will."

One of the things I have observed is that older people tend to become silent when faced with contraversay. They seem to become children who are seen but not heard. I am certain that silence is not going to guarantee anything good for older Americans. This is of particular importance to Boomers because the Great Society destroyed the family connection for many.

Staying alert and in control is incredibly important and health is paramount to remaining independent. Once you are shepharded into the system it is over. We saw that with Covid.

One of the things I have observed is that older people tend to become silent when faced with contraversay. They seem to become children who are seen but not heard. I am certain that silence is not going to guarantee anything good for older Americans. This is of particular importance to Boomers because the Great Society destroyed the family connection for many.

Staying alert and in control is incredibly important and health is paramount to remaining independent. Once you are shepharded into the system it is over. We saw that with Covid.
The first thing I do in the morning is go outside and yell "GIT OFF MY LAWN"!!!! You should see them rabbits scatter.

The first thing I do in the morning is go outside and yell "GIT OFF MY LAWN"!!!! You should see them rabbits scatter.
I feel sorry for you and those like you. There is nothing original or creative in your minds. There is no purpose, there are no goals. You are like skunks. The only defense for your actions is to throw foul smelling ephitets at anyone that does join the goon squads. This is not going to end well for you.

I feel sorry for you and those like you. There is nothing original or creative in your minds. There is no purpose, there are no goals. You are like skunks. The only defense for your actions is to throw foul smelling ephitets at anyone that does join the goon squads. This is not going to end well for you.
Foul smelling epithets? Where? No sense of humor I see.

Forum List

Back