Just ordered this sweet thing...

Do you have to wait until next year to enjoy it, or do you live in a warm climate state where you can use it all year round?

The fall,winter and spring are the best times in Texas.
The summers can be brutal but with a Honda generator a fan does a reasonable job of keeping you cool.
Although I plan on installing this come summer....
View attachment 55086

Well that's good, that you live in a climate where you can enjoy it year round. Here in Massachusetts, that would not be the case. Lol.

My gosh, it's going to be better than house by the time you're done! :lol:

Actually with the proper set up you can enjoy it anywhere you want.
They have an insulation kit that raises the inside temp by 42 degrees or more depending on your heating system.
You have to remember these things are made for this kind of stuff and are used in harsh environments all over the world.
And cold is much easier to overcome than heat.
View attachment 55094

I'm the opposite. I can deal with the heat much better than the cold. I should have been born in Texas instead of Massachusetts! :lol:

I suppose being shut up in one of those little things is akin to being in an oven when it's extremely warm like you get in Texas though, so I hear you!

Oh I like the heat as well,it's the humidity that kills you when you're trying to sleep.
But with a box fan set in the window you can sleep in relative comfort.
But to hell with that,I want hanging meat temps when I sleep.

Oh we get terrible humidity here in the summer too. It's like the worst of both worlds, TBH. :D Freezing in the winter and wicked hot in the summer. Of course, it's rare for us to get into the 100s, but 90s with very high humidity is not unusual at all in the summer. I would definitely have a fan or something too though. Sleeping in a tent when it's really hot and humid is not very fun either, waking up feeling all sticky and dirty. Lol.

We don't have that humidity up here in northern Maine in the summer like we did in Massachusetts, and the nights where I live, all summer long are mid to high 60's with days in the high 70's or low 80's....so camping up here in the summer months is really pleasant!

The only thing that would be scary in the middle of the woods or on a lake or river are the bears, and coyotes, and wolves.... :eek:

we have no poisonous snakes in the State, nor Mountain lions.

We don't have that humidity up here in northern Maine in the summer like we did in Massachusetts, and the nights where I live, all summer long are mid to high 60's with days in the high 70's or low 80's....so camping up here in the summer months is really pleasant!

The only thing that would be scary in the middle of the woods or on a lake or river are the bears, and coyotes, and wolves.... :eek:

44 MAG for the bears,not worried about wolves or coyotes.
But thats perfect camping weather!!!

I've been camping at Sebago Lake in Maine. That is a HUGE lake. It was a lot of fun. :D No dangerous creatures thankfully.

This just came in yesterday...
Going to do some modifications to it,of course:wink_2:, so it'll make 60 hours of hot water on a tank of propane.
View attachment 55095
That beats putting a coiled copper tube in the campfire. I made steam with a rig like that several times. If you control the flow with a petcock, you can get just about any exit temperature you want from lukewarm to over 200degF. Since the outlet is above the level of the coil, when you turn the flow off, you get some steam.

I'm designing a copper coil for the inside of my butane smoker.

Going to do some modifications to it,of course:wink_2:, so it'll make 60 hours of hot water on a tank of propane.
View attachment 55095
That beats putting a coiled copper tube in the campfire. I made steam with a rig like that several times. If you control the flow with a petcock, you can get just about any exit temperature you want from lukewarm to over 200degF. Since the outlet is above the level of the coil, when you turn the flow off, you get some steam.

The faulty design on this one was you cant stop the flow of water through the coil or you risk burning it out.
I simply added a three way valve at the shower head and a return hose to the water reservoir..
upload_2015-11-26_14-6-23.png

And I'm ditching the cheesy pump that came with it and replacing it with a pump with an auto shut off when the system is closed,this allows you to shut off the burner and use your hot water when needed rather than having to let it run
upload_2015-11-26_14-8-51.png

The pump will plug into the truck through the grill giving you pretty much unlimited electricity rather than changing out the 4 D Cells all the time.

View attachment 55095

Are you putting the coil in for added moisture in the smoker?
I've seen this done in my BBQ Cook off days and it seemed very effective.
You run a flat copper coil in the top of the firebox with a drip system and you have the terminal end routed into the smoke chamber.
From what I've seen you just have to be careful how much you use it or you wont get good bark formation.
It's pretty much a substitute for mopping.

View attachment 55095

Are you putting the coil in for added moisture in the smoker?
I've seen this done in my BBQ Cook off days and it seemed very effective.
You run a flat copper coil in the top of the firebox with a drip system and you have the terminal end routed into the smoke chamber.
From what I've seen you just have to be careful how much you use it or you wont get good bark formation.
It's pretty much a substitute for mopping.
No. I'll be pumping water through it to be heated. A mixing valve will control the flow coming from a 12v pump fed from a reservoir of potable water. On the high temp end, the adjustments are more sensitive and may cause bursts of steam. It will mainly be used for washing hands, dishes and cooking utensils. I'm building a kitchen on wheels--complete with generators, coolers, freezers, gas grills, gas smokers, sinks, a toilet and fold-down sides that become eating decks to seat 12 on each side. I may stretch it out a bit and include a storage box and a single bed overhead.

I'll probably end up with an instantaneous gas water heater instead of the smoker coil method. The top will be a railed deck also. One those pop-up tents like yours would work nicely on top...and save room underneath.

It's just now coming out in sketches and there's no schedule for actual construction yet. Right now, there's no budget either, so it may get pared down some in the building.

And the almost complete hot water/shower system.
Still waiting on the power lead and plug for the pump to truck connection but it's finished for the most part.

upload_2015-11-28_10-36-47.png

The only extra baggage will be the small ammo can/pump housing and the heater. The rest of the stuff is already on the trailer.

upload_2015-11-28_10-41-22.png

upload_2015-11-28_10-42-48.png

The power lead and hoses will store in the pump box.

Attachments

• upload_2015-11-28_10-42-5.png
    upload_2015-11-28_10-42-5.png
    106 KB · Views: 108

Forum List

Back