Just got a meat grinder

I've never had homemade, but I've never liked any kind of sausage. It's greasy and there's gristle hidden in it. Ugh.

I put a few links of Italian sausage in my spaghetti sauce, but someone else can eat it.
Ask someone what they serve in our wonderful jails and prisons-
I believe lots of it is emu meat, and in a can marked 'for inmate consumption only'.

Sounds delicious! Ribeyes are my favorite!
Don't go gucking them up with a bunch of weird shit, now, TN.
Salt and pepper. Thats it for rib eyes. Beef has such a good flavor, i dont want to mess it up.
After that, im going to make my own sausages! I just got to find out where i can get casings. Might have to order them. I had to order those seaweed wraps :rolleyes:
Sea salt and cracked fresh pepper I hope.

I plan on doing some rib eye burgers tomorrow for dinner.
When i cube the meat, should i lightly freeze it or get it to room temp?

LOL. My dad had a nice one still in the box he never used before he died. I eventually gave it to one of my brothers who lives out of town. As soon as I did I was, "%^&$ now I want that meat grinder!!!!!!" I only gave it away because I have no idea where I could get the casings locally. I have a hand crank one but that is way too much work. I could get the attachment for one for the kitchen aid but I still have no idea where to get the casings locally. Not sure that is something I would want to try through the mail.
I googled casings, and it looks like it's the only way to get them. Unless it's deer season. The grocery store I worked at in college sold casings then because everyone was trying to use up their tougher pieces of deer meat.

I've never had homemade, but I've never liked any kind of sausage. It's greasy and there's gristle hidden in it. Ugh.

I put a few links of Italian sausage in my spaghetti sauce, but someone else can eat it.
Well that is the beauty of of making your own sausage.
You control what is in it.
When I make it with Pork Shoulder, I make sure those hard bits of gristle/tendon is not ground with it.

casings, info, anything.

OL, make your own. Won't be gristle, you control fat. Try simply grinding 20-80 or even less than 20% fat, 1# Tube stuff can run much higher, you can control that. Add a bit of breakfast sausage seasoning. Make patties, make gravy with the drippings, biscuits and eggs :cool:

I believe lots of it is emu meat, and in a can marked 'for inmate consumption only'.
Yeah, God only knows. When you chomp down on a bone nugget, it does kind of make you wonder what else is in it.

But what's wrong with emu? A farmer near here had two; they got loose and one ran out in the road in front of a car sailing along at 60 mph. Bet he had some good sausage out of it.

I still chuckle at that one--around here, you get used to deer, even the occassional bear or moose, but the driver of that car must have thought he was tripping.

casings, info, anything.

OL, make your own. Won't be gristle, you control fat. Try simply grinding 20-80 or even less than 20% fat, 1# Tube stuff can run much higher, you can control that. Add a bit of breakfast sausage seasoning. Make patties, make gravy with the drippings, biscuits and eggs :cool:
I've always wanted to try Red eye gravy with a nice piece of real ham, not that gelatinous formed shit they try to sell you. But that's getting off topic.

What'd ya get?
I picked up a LEM Big Bite last year and it's a hog!!! You can feed it 1 inch square strips as long as you can cut em and It doesnt even slow down.
Got the foot controlled stuffer and the 15 lb sausage mixer as well.
I just picked up a cheap one.
If my plans work out like they should, I might invest in an automatic one

Sounds delicious! Ribeyes are my favorite!
Don't go gucking them up with a bunch of weird shit, now, TN.
Salt and pepper. Thats it for rib eyes. Beef has such a good flavor, i dont want to mess it up.
After that, im going to make my own sausages! I just got to find out where i can get casings. Might have to order them. I had to order those seaweed wraps :rolleyes:
Sea salt and cracked fresh pepper I hope.
Always

Emu is good

LOL. My dad had a nice one still in the box he never used before he died. I eventually gave it to one of my brothers who lives out of town. As soon as I did I was, "%^&$ now I want that meat grinder!!!!!!" I only gave it away because I have no idea where I could get the casings locally. I have a hand crank one but that is way too much work. I could get the attachment for one for the kitchen aid but I still have no idea where to get the casings locally. Not sure that is something I would want to try through the mail.
I googled casings, and it looks like it's the only way to get them. Unless it's deer season. The grocery store I worked at in college sold casings then because everyone was trying to use up their tougher pieces of deer meat.

We had one mom and pop store that used to sell them that was well known for its meat counter. Those folks eventually got so old that they sold it and now it has become a blah blah high-priced "market" with lots of weird tea, coffees, and snooty people things.

Omg. This was such a good idea!
I made a creamy spread with a tomato, jalapeño and avocado. Muenster cheese.

I've always wanted to try Red eye gravy with a nice piece of real ham, not that gelatinous formed shit they try to sell you. But that's getting off topic.

Red eye is good. Need cured VA ham, (yes real and old style cure) fry it, remove, add coffee to the drippings and simmer. I like it on biscuits. They got the cured ham here, the right kine. Sits in an isle no refer necessary. If you can't find it I can send you some and you can make red eye. Sent my bud in Wa state some, he freaked. Slices or diced, even whole available.

Red eye is good. Need cured VA ham, (yes real and old style cure) fry it, remove, add coffee to the drippings and simmer. I like it on biscuits. They got the cured ham here, the right kine. Sits in an isle no refer necessary. If you can't find it I can send you some and you can make red eye. Sent my bud in Wa state some, he freaked. Slices or diced, even whole available.
What do you fry it in, and is coffee the only thing you add ?

Forum List

Back