Just finished the Breaking Bad series.

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
Wow, that was an amazing series to watch. In case you haven't watched it, there is little in it that makes the series "dated", with one notable exception: flip phones. Other than that, it looks like it could have been filmed yesterday. Really a tour de force of both writing (Vince Gilligan) and acting (Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul).

I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before, so glad I finally got around to watching it. Has anyone watched "Better Call Saul"? It is written and produced by Vince Gilligan. Saw the first episode, looks okay so far.

Wow, that was an amazing series to watch. In case you haven't watched it, there is little in it that makes the series "dated", with one notable exception: flip phones. Other than that, it looks like it could have been filmed yesterday. Really a tour de force of both writing (Vince Gilligan) and acting (Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul).

I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before, so glad I finally got around to watching it. Has anyone watched "Better Call Saul"? It is written and produced by Vince Gilligan. Saw the first episode, looks okay so far.

Agreed, we’ve watched the series twice. Just plain good tv.

My wife was hooked on the series when it came out. I watched a few episodes it was well done for sure.
If you watch a few more, you'll be hooked too. When I had Covid over Christmas and couldn't get off the couch for a few days, Breaking Bad was my relief for a full week.

I've heard that, I remember hearing that it was as popular with the critics as Breaking Bad was. I'm definitely going to watch it. I like that it is filmed in flashback as I get to see the BB characters again.
Characters in Saul are more like able and the ending is not as depressing

My wife was hooked on the series when it came out. I watched a few episodes it was well done for sure.

It took a while for me to get into Breaking Bad, but at the end of the first season, I was hooked

I don't know if I would say BCS is as good as BB, but yes... it is a very good series also.
Breaking Bad sets the bar so high, there may not be another series that is better.
It is virtually unheard of for a series to make 62 episodes without jumping the shark, turning it into a soap opera... wasted episodes etc.
It was balls to the wall from start to finish

You might give "Boardwalk Empire" a try also.
Another outstanding series by HBO. Balls to the walls like BB... and also like BB... they end the show when it needed to be ended before it became spaghetti.

You might give "Boardwalk Empire" a try also.
Another outstanding series by HBO. Balls to the walls like BB... and also like BB... they end the show when it needed to be ended before it became spaghetti.

Another good one was Sons of Anarchy

Better Call Saul is is similar to Breaking Bad except it more comical. I don't think it is quite as good as Breaking Bad but it is still superior to most TV series.

What makes Breaking Bad so good is that the writers, director, and actors created very flawed characters with very good intentions. Secondly, they were determined that the series would not be formalistic. A high school chemistry dying of cancer, turning to manufacturing drugs to provide funds for his family is certainly unique but it is not unreasonable within the context of the story. The same is true of the murder on an innocent child. The audience never knew what to expect.

BTW, when you consider the garbage being passed off as entertainment today, being dated is not so bad. In fact, some of the best productions go back over 50 years. When this series was being made in the 2000's flip phones were still being used and were being sold in stores as late as 2010.

Last edited:
Better Call Saul is is similar to Breaking Bad except it more comical. I don't think it is quite as good as Breaking Bad but but it is still superior to most TV series.

What makes Breaking Bad so good is that the writers, director, and actors created very flawed characters with good intentions. Secondly, they were determined that the series would not be formalistic. A high school chemistry dying of cancer, turning to manufacturing drugs too provide funds for his family is certainly unique but it is not unreasonable within the context of the story. The same is true of murder on an innocent child. The audience never knows what to expect.
The art of a great film/series is making the unbelievable... believable.
The concept of a school teacher becoming a major drug manufacturer/dealer and all the things he does, including murder is not very realistic. But between great writing and brilliant acting - you not only buy it, but love it.
Another mark of a great series is writing the series with a known end time and sticking with it no matter how popular it becomes.
Walking Dead is a prime example of how a great show is completely ruined by dragging the series out to keep the show going. Walking Dead could have easily been up there with BB if it would have been written for 5 or 6 seasons and ended.

3 episodes into BCS, and the formula for this series is just too ridiculous. That's what I liked about BB, while many situations were very improbable, many of them were not, and the show had a ring of authenticity to it. I'm not seeing that at all with BCS.

I will say the follow up to Breaking Bad, "El Camino", which closes out Jesse Pinkman's story, was very good, and very much like the series BB itself. It is a 2 hour movie that all BB fans should watch.

3 episodes into BCS, and the formula for this series is just too ridiculous. That's what I liked about BB, while many situations were very improbable, many of them were not, and the show had a ring of authenticity to it. I'm not seeing that at all with BCS.

I will say the follow up to Breaking Bad, "El Camino", which closes out Jesse Pinkman's story, was very good, and very much like the series BB itself. It is a 2 hour movie that all BB fans should watch.
Keep watching
BCS first season is probably the worst season.
It gets better.
We also liked El Camino, critics didn't. But we thought it was well done

The concept of a school teacher becoming a major drug manufacturer/dealer and all the things he does, including murder is not very realistic. But between great writing and brilliant acting - you not only buy it, but love it.
Another mark of a great series is writing the series with a known end time and sticking with it no matter how popular it becomes.
Walking Dead is a prime example of how a great show is completely ruined by dragging the series out to keep the show going. Walking Dead could have easily been up there with BB if it would have been written for 5 or 6 seasons and ended.
The idea is that he is not just a Chemistry Teacher but a master chemist
A Chemist capable of creating the best Meth ever seen

He gradually learned the trade and found out he was very good at it….along with the killing
It was the major accomplishment of his life

Characters in Saul are more like able and the ending is not as depressing
It took a while for me to get into Breaking Bad, but at the end of the first season, I was hooked
I've found that to be the case with a lot of series. Sometimes I can tell after the first episode if I will like it but just as often it takes a number episodes.

I watched the first episode of the Extraordinary Attorney Woo on Netflix. The central character was so extraordinarily cute, enthusiastic, but so unrealistic, that I could not watch the whole series. Then I gave it a second try and the episodes seem to get better and before long I found myself loving the performance of Park Eun-bin as Woo. I figured it was just me. No one else would really like this thing so I checked with Rotten Tomatoes. They gave it a 100% and audience score of 93%.

"
One of the MOST ADORABLE TV series out there! The characters are extremely sweet, endearing and lovable - in their own unique ways. This storyline is also extremely unique on it's own, standing out of so many other generic forms of K dramas out there."

Last edited:
Keep watching
BCS first season is probably the worst season.
It gets better.
We also liked El Camino, critics didn't. But we thought it was well done
I watched all of El Camino but did not like it as well as Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul.

Last edited:
Yes, isolated events may seem unbelievable but when put within the right context they become reasonable. This is one of the major challenges in making superhero movies. It can be difficult to make an audience believe that a man can be faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Forum List

Back