Just curious,. but when exactly did this Satan guy become part of the Christian narrative?

Ben Thomson

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2020
'Satan' is only mentioned about 19 times in the Old Testament and only once in the New Testament. No where in those bibles is he referred to as the ruler of a place called hell or that he was once an angel but was cast out of heaven by God. The word Satan is used more as a description of evil than an actual evil deity ruling over a place called hell. I think the idea of Satan and his realm of hell is a narrative created less than a few hundred years ago to keep people in line....Who Is Satan?

'Satan' is only mentioned about 19 times in the Old Testament and only once in the New Testament. No where in those bibles is he referred to as the ruler of a place called hell or that he was once an angel but was cast out of heaven by God. The word Satan is used more as a description of evil than an actual evil deity ruling over a place called hell. I think the idea of Satan and his realm of hell is a narrative created less than a few hundred years ago to keep people in line....Who Is Satan?
Hell was invented by The Church to make the peasants give them money.

Untrue.

Isaiah 14:12-15 and Ezekiel 28:11-19 allude to the angel Lucifer's original position as a very exalted being, and likely the highest ranking of all the angels. Ezekiel 28:12-15 also states that in addition to being powerful, it's likely that Lucifer was the most beautiful of all of God's creations.

Satan rebelled against God and upon learning of Lucifer's plan, God removed him from his dignified position and cast him out of Heaven (Isaiah 14:15; Ezekiel 28:16-17).

In addition to that, Hell has not yet been created and won't until the Second Coming of Christ. John prophesieses that in
Revelations 9, where he sees a star fall from heaven to the earth, having the key of the "bottomless pit". He opens the bottomless pit; and smoke arises out of it, like the smoke of a great furnace, which darkens the sun.

That's all in the Bible.

Last edited:

You could try just reading the Bible, or at least Googling the answer before jumping to a conclusion and asserting it. He's mentioned multiple times in the Bible, not always by that same moniker (since "Satan" is more of a descriptor than a proper name). And Hell is mentioned many times.

And no, he's not a deity.

God does worse things in the Bible than Satan ever did

Imagine if Satan had created the Great Flood, killed the first born of Egypt or created plagues?

All Satan is accused of is “tempting”

Untrue.

Isaiah 14:12-15 and Ezekiel 28:11-19 allude to the angel Lucifer's original position as a very exalted being, and likely the highest ranking of all the angels. Ezekiel 28:12-15 also states that in addition to being powerful, it's likely that Lucifer was the most beautiful of all of God's creations.

Satan rebelled against God and upon learning of Lucifer's plan, God removed him from his dignified position and cast him out of Heaven (Isaiah 14:15; Ezekiel 28:16-17).

In addition to that, Hell has not yet been created and won't until the Second Coming of Christ.

That's all in the Bible.
Almost a winner. If I remember my Christian Mythology , Lucifer was the Angel of Light. The most beautiful and favorite of God. It was Lucifer who rebelled against God however, and God caught him and a third of the other angels who backed his Coup, were cast out of Heaven and became Satan and all his demons and stuff.

Imagine if Satan had created the Great Flood, killed the first born of Egypt or created plagues?

That was all in the Old Testament which is why I think they ditched that version and came up with the New Testament where God doesn't do those awful things because He loves us all so much. I think they were losing converts with the old book and its vengeful God who would smite you on a whim.

Yeah, go with that.

:auiqs.jpg:

Untrue.

In addition to that, Hell has not yet been created and won't until the Second Coming of Christ.

That's all in the Bible.
Almost a winner. If I remember my Christian Mythology , Lucifer was the Angel of Light. The most beautiful and favorite of God. It was Lucifer who rebelled against God however, and God caught him and a third of the other angels who backed his Coup, were cast out of Heaven and became Satan and all his demons and stuff.
Thing is, you don't find that narrative anywhere in the bible, so how did it become such a believable part of Christianity?

Untrue.

In addition to that, Hell has not yet been created and won't until the Second Coming of Christ. John prophesieses that in
Revelations 9, where he sees a star fall from heaven to the earth, having the key of the "bottomless pit". He opens the bottomless pit; and smoke arises out of it, like the smoke of a great furnace, which darkens the sun.

That's all in the Bible.
Satan literally means ADVERSARY----any adversary initially.

Untrue.

That's all in the Bible.
Thing is, you don't find that narrative anywhere in the bible, so how did it become such a believable part of Christianity?

I just pointed it out to you. I'm assuming you didn't actually retrieve that Bible you have hidden away in a closet or drawer and look it up.

So I can't do anything else for you. I'm not your preacher or spiritual leader, you're going to have to find one of those for yourself.

the great flood must be informative for those in doubt - satan is dead. and all others, eventually who bear ill will.

for admission, the Everlasting is by those that rule without the presence of evill. or all is lost.

Forum List

Back