Judge Strikes Down Citizenship Question in 2020 Census

Should the census be allowed to ask this question

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There’s a reason they removed the question in the 1st place.

Oh yes because there's nobody who wants or needs to know how many American citizens live in the US.
The Justice Department sought to include the question because it uses data about eligible voters – the citizen voting-age population – to help enforce protections for minority voters (including those who speak languages other than English) under the federal Voting Rights Act. The Justice Department now relies on data from the Census Bureau’s American Community Survey, a sample survey that covers 2.6% of the population each year. The department wants more “scope, detail and certainty” that only the full census can provide to enforce the Voting Rights Act, Ross said.

This is the biggest load of codswallop I've heard in awhile. The Justice Department has no need to delve into voting data; that's as political as it gets.
The question however, is not that alarming.

FT_18.03.29_CensusCitizenship_feature.jpg

The citizenship question planned for 2020 census: What to know
There are plenty of noncitizens here LEGALLY. However, illegal immigrants, who make up a large portion of some cities and counties, will probably shy away from taking the census at all or will lie, afraid the government may take that information and start using it for other purposes, like deporting them.

Who are you to say what data the justice department needs?
Why wouldn't we want to get information on illegals so we can deport them?
Last I knew the DOJ has no involvement in the political arena. If they are collecting information on "voters," it smacks of politics to me. Unless they're are just lying and are collecting the information for other reasons.

Oh yes because there's nobody who wants or needs to know how many American citizens live in the US.
The Justice Department sought to include the question because it uses data about eligible voters – the citizen voting-age population – to help enforce protections for minority voters (including those who speak languages other than English) under the federal Voting Rights Act. The Justice Department now relies on data from the Census Bureau’s American Community Survey, a sample survey that covers 2.6% of the population each year. The department wants more “scope, detail and certainty” that only the full census can provide to enforce the Voting Rights Act, Ross said.

This is the biggest load of codswallop I've heard in awhile. The Justice Department has no need to delve into voting data; that's as political as it gets.

There are plenty of noncitizens here LEGALLY. However, illegal immigrants, who make up a large portion of some cities and counties, will probably shy away from taking the census at all or will lie, afraid the government may take that information and start using it for other purposes, like deporting them.

Or get information about them to determine if they should be deported.

Or get information about them to determine if they should be deported.

The census data will be released in early '21, just after Trump's second inauguration. I'm hoping Trump will authorize a program to round them up. It will require 10s of thousands of bounty hunters.

I'm getting ready.

Well, it's not a simple question. Article One speaks of the enumeration of the number of "free persons" - not citizens - for the various purposes stated. So, presumably, the census should count all "free persons" and not just citizens and legal residents.

It goes without saying that in the Age of Trump, there would be people in the country illegally, who, looking at the survey and seeing a Citizenship question, will either decline to fill it out or limit their response to those in that household who are in the country legally, if any.

Presumably, in California and other states with large populations of people who are not in the country legally, the enumeration will fall short of the actual number. Those affected states complain that, since the USSC has decreed - insanely, in my opinion - that those states must feed, house, clothe, medicate, and educate the children of those in the country illegally, the same as if they were fine upstanding citizens, they will lose out on not only Congressional representation (each H.R. seat being allocated to populations of 750,000 or so) but also Federal largesse that is passed out on the basis of population.

So we have the bizarre situation where these states generally identify themselves as "sanctuary" jurisdictions, where they decline to help the Feds enforce our existing immigration laws, and hence ENCOURAGE illegal intrusions into our country, and now want to insist that all of their illegals be COUNTED when they stand at the capacious teats of the Federal Government. [In California, anyway, where many of them VOTE and some pay taxes, I suppose this makes some perverse sense].

I would not BET on the USSC siding with the Government here. They may find that the citizenship question will impede the purpose of the census.

In my own silly opinion, I want the Gub'mint to FINALLY know and PUBLISH the actual number of illegals, so that the Media and the Leftists will get off this bullshit ELEVEN MILLION number that they have been claiming for more than a decade, and we can recognize the REAL number which is AT LEAST TWENTY MILLION.
Just curious where you get the 20 million number from?

Start with eleven million in 2007. There have been at leqsy 800,000 new illegals crossing the border each year since then. All of the females are of child-bearing age, and essentially all are Catholic. Do the math.

While the offspring are technically considered "Americans," they are no less sucking the lifeblood of the country, what with education costs, welfare, Medicaid, food stamps, etc.

20 million is a low estimate.

Start with eleven million in 2007. There have been at leqsy 800,000 new illegals crossing the border each year since then. All of the females are of child-bearing age, and essentially all are Catholic. Do the math.

While the offspring are technically considered "Americans," they are no less sucking the lifeblood of the country, what with education costs, welfare, Medicaid, food stamps, etc.

20 million is a low estimate.
What is your source for those numbers? I'm not trolling, I'm just curious.

Third judge blocks citizenship question from 2020 census

U.S. District Judge George Hazel in Maryland wrote that Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross's decision to add the question to the census was arbitrary and capricious, therefore violating federal law.

Hazel is one of Obammy’s judges. The Democrats want to count non-citizens because it gets them more congressional seats and it gives them more money. The Democrats are not compassionate. They are racist. They are trying to displace Anglo voters.

Let’s finish the debate over the citizenship question on the census

SCOTUS seems to approve

One of the problems for these obstructionist judges is that the citizenship question has been asked of tens of millions of Americans every ten years since before most of you were born.

The Supremes heard oral arguments in the case and the general consensus seems to be that we’re heading for yet another Trump win.

Dems fear that illegal immigrants may not return the forms for fear of being detected, detained and deported. So they want to create policy based on the suspicion that a person who is in the process of breaking one law (being in the country illegally) may then break another law (filling out and returning the form is mandatory under the law) by throwing out their census form. Is this seriously how we’re going to be making policy now? On the basis of not wanting to offend criminals?

With the exception of 1960, we’ve been asking the citizenship question to as many as fifty million people every time we do the census. (And yes, that includes 2010 because we swapped out the long form for the American Community Survey that year and it included the citizenship question.) The odds that none of the households receiving those forms included illegal aliens is effectively zero. So why aren’t we in court battling to eliminate the long form and/or the American Community Survey? Those forms ask far more intrusive questions of all sorts, including the citizenship question.

I’ll tell you why. Because nobody cared about it until a change was requested by the administration of the Bad Orange Man. But since he was the one making the latest change, it had to be #RESISTED. This isn’t a question of constitutionality or even accuracy in the census. It’s just more politics.

New Topics

Forum List

Back