Judge rules for Kountze cheerleaders in Bible banner suit

Lonestar_logic

Republic of Texas
May 13, 2009

AUSTIN — A judge says an East Texas school district policy barring cheerleaders from quoting biblical scripture on banners at high school football games appears to violate their free speech rights.

KFDM television in Beaumont reports that District Judge Steve Thomas issued an injunction allowing the Kountze High School cheerleaders to continue displaying such banners pending the outcome of a lawsuit about the matter. He previously granted a temporary restraining order allowing the practice to continue.

The school district ordered the cheerleaders to stop quoting Bible verses after receiving a complaint from the Freedom From Religion Foundation. The group says it received a complaint from an atheist attending a game who felt the school was promoting Christianity.

Thoughts?

AUSTIN — A judge says an East Texas school district policy barring cheerleaders from quoting biblical scripture on banners at high school football games appears to violate their free speech rights.

KFDM television in Beaumont reports that District Judge Steve Thomas issued an injunction allowing the Kountze High School cheerleaders to continue displaying such banners pending the outcome of a lawsuit about the matter. He previously granted a temporary restraining order allowing the practice to continue.

The school district ordered the cheerleaders to stop quoting Bible verses after receiving a complaint from the Freedom From Religion Foundation. The group says it received a complaint from an atheist attending a game who felt the school was promoting Christianity.

Thoughts?

it will be overturned if real judges get to it.

if they take state money they can't do that.

I dunno. A bit much?

cheer.jpg

As opposed to a judge that still has his balls?

why does it take balls to violate the constitution?

How are the cheerleaders violating The Constitution?

Do they not have 1st Amendment rights as well?

if you can't avoid praying for the time you're in school, you should go to a parochial school and not to a public school which has rules about those things.

i'm pretty sure that if it were a school in michigan and the cheerleaders were muslim you'd be whining about creeping sha'ria

Last edited:
I dunno. A bit much?

cheer.jpg

so, come on, h, you're a conservative... is that ok in a public school?

does it make being christian a requirement of being a cheerleader?

i'm pretty sure it, minimally, creates an environment where the state is fostering religion.

what say you?

I will answer.... they are doing this on their own.
The school is NOT doing it. Those are messages that the CHEERLEADERS are making.

If the school required it, I would be on your side, but they aren't and the cheerleaders are perfectly withing their 1ST Amendment right to do so.

Please tell me how this is a bad thing.... :confused:

Prayer_at_football_game_zps0dc56e60.png

628x471_zps9eeada5f.jpg

There is no freedom from religion. That would entail censorship. What we all share is freedom to express our religions or lack there of privately and in public. That is freedom.
Political correctness often comes at the expense of balls. Tuck them away enough times and they seem to just fall off.

Last edited:
why does it take balls to violate the constitution?

How are the cheerleaders violating The Constitution?

Do they not have 1st Amendment rights as well?

if you can't avoid praying for the time you're in school, you should go to a parochial school and not to a public school which has rules about those things.

i'm pretty sure that if it were a school in michigan and the cheerleaders were muslim you'd be whining about creeping sha'ria

Stop telling me what I would be doing... If the cheerleaders wanted to do that in Michigan, I'd say nothing... are they inciting violence? If not, so what.... they can do what they want.

Why must you ALWAYS take the wrong side on the Constitution?

Plus, when did anyone say the school required prayer?

Stick to the topic... the signs are made by the kids. Leave them alone for Gods sake!!

Remember... it is freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion.

Thoughts?

Tell the atheist to grow up?

there is no freedom from religion. That would entail censorship. What we all share is freedom to express our religions or lack there privately and in public. That is freedom.
Political correctness often comes at the expense of balls. Tuck them away enough times and they seem to just fall off.

bs

Tolerance does not apply to Christians I see....

Forum List

Back