JP Morgan Chase CEO says "Why can't we get it through out thick skulls..."

At the present time, I wouldn't necessarily disagree, but that's changing fast
Yes, for the worst. Ford just announced MASSIVE price increases for their Lightning 150 as the cost of actual production begins to hit home.

and the climate bill that was just signed is going to push us toward cheaper renewables production.
You really that gullible to believe a bill from Congress is going to "push us" toward cheaper renewables we couldn't have otherwise just done on our own as every indicator in industry is that renewables and EVs all point to massive INCREASES in energy and transportation costs not to mention environmental destruction while having ZERO effect on the climate.

At the present time, I wouldn't necessarily disagree, but that's changing fast and the climate bill that was just signed is going to push us toward cheaper renewables production.

In poorer, developing countries that don't yet have much of a green energy portfolio -and even in richer ones that have one but are still developing - it's true that they're going back to coal because they need something, anything. I get that. Dimon's right about that.

But the solution to that problem is to push all countries toward developing a cleaner and more diverse energy portfolio that includes some fossil but a lot more renewables. And richer countries need to help subsidizes the poorer ones that can't do this on their own.
This message brought to you by...the same people who demanded we replace paper bags with plastic....to "save the trees and the environment"!

I'll bet he cried as an infant as well. He is a free man, how is this if he was convicted of five felonies? Bottom line, what does this irrelevant post have to do with the meat of the OP? Please stick to the topic.

How much more investment do we need to make renewables cheap and reliable?

Fair question.

Honest answer without Googling, I don't know, but enough for us to reach a critical mass. I know Elon Musk has said that extracting the raw materials out of the ground is a bigger challenge than we now realize and from what I can tell, he's probably right, but he's built a billion dollar fortune on the idea that electric cars are the future.

Fair question.

Honest answer without Googling, I don't know, but enough for us to reach a critical mass. I know Elon Musk has said that extracting the raw materials out of the ground is a bigger challenge than we now realize and from what I can tell, he's probably right, but he's built a billion dollar fortune on the idea that electric cars are the future.
We should spend more money on clean energy that works, nuclear, and less on stuff that doesn't.

Jamie Dimon is a financial expert, not a climate expert. The solution is to make more renewable energy readily available and cheaper through more supply.
And climate experts are not the people that can or should be coming up with solutions to climate change. They come up with targets and metrics that need to be met. You realize that it is economic experts and policy experts that know how to make those targets happen. Because, you know, they are experts in how people act.

Climate scientists do not know everything, they know climate. Economists know how markets work and what needs to be done to make people move to other products.

Right or wrong no one should listen to a word Dimon says. He should be in prison over the 2008 financial debacle.
The bank has also pled guilty to five felony counts under Dimon's leadership:

After JPMorgan Chase Admits to Its 4th and 5th Felony Charge, Its Board Gives a $50 Million Bonus to Its CEO, Jamie Dimon

"The unthinkable is happening with alarming regularity at the Frankenbank JPMorgan Chase. Over the last seven years, with Chairman and CEO Jamie Dimon at the helm, JPMorgan Chase has managed to do what no other federally-insured American bank has managed to do in the history of banking in the United States.

"The bank has admitted to five separate felony counts brought by the U.S. Department of Justice, while regulators took no action to remove the Board of Directors or Jamie Dimon.."

The bank has also pled guilty to five felony counts under Dimon's leadership:

After JPMorgan Chase Admits to Its 4th and 5th Felony Charge, Its Board Gives a $50 Million Bonus to Its CEO, Jamie Dimon

"The unthinkable is happening with alarming regularity at the Frankenbank JPMorgan Chase. Over the last seven years, with Chairman and CEO Jamie Dimon at the helm, JPMorgan Chase has managed to do what no other federally-insured American bank has managed to do in the history of banking in the United States.

"The bank has admitted to five separate felony counts brought by the U.S. Department of Justice, while regulators took no action to remove the Board of Directors or Jamie Dimon.."

It obviously makes no difference to many. To them financial crimes are not crimes.

It obviously makes no difference to many. To them financial crimes are not crimes.
To many, white collar crimes are victimless crimes which is part of a breakdown of fundamental norms as Ralph Nader points out:

Opinion | Beware the Corporations and Lawmakers Trampling On Our Established Norms

"In our country, voluntarily recognized fundamental norms have been breaking down.

"The chief impetus for this collapse is the ascending supremacy of commercial power over civic values.

"The surrender of the latter to the former in sector after sector has spelled the decline of our country as measured by its own promise and pretensions.

"Compared to seventy years ago, there are almost no commercial-free zones anymore.

"Almost everything is for sale—or should be in the minds of dogmatic free market fundamentalists and its apologists like Milton Friedman and his disciples."

They do now, but that can change with more investment.
More investment, more price rises, so invest more, so raise the price again. The wind turbines and solar panels that have now defunct after a short period time, no problem, more investment to replace them by raising prices.

More investment, more price rises, so invest more, so raise the price again. The wind turbines and solar panels that have now defunct after a short period time, no problem, more investment to replace them by raising prices.

Consumption also raises prices. Less consumption is probably most important goal, but in a profit- and shareholder-driven economy, I doubt we get there. So I guess the whole system will just eventually collapse.

Consumption also raises prices. Less consumption is probably most important goal, but in a profit- and shareholder-driven economy, I doubt we get there. So I guess the whole system will just eventually collapse.
Take France and Germany as examples. France generally relied on nuclear and enjoyed low energy prices. Germany heavily invested in renewables and have to have high energy prices to pay for it. So Germany encouraged France to get into renewables, so energy prices increased and continue to do so in France. And Germany had to fire up coal and gas energy plants to meet demand.

Take France and Germany as examples. France generally relied on nuclear and enjoyed low energy prices. Germany heavily invested in renewables and have to have high energy prices to pay for it. So Germany encouraged France to get into renewables, so energy prices increased and continue to do so in France. And Germany had to fire up coal and gas energy plants to meet demand.

Oh Germany was even dumber than that: they relied on Russia for a large chunk of its energy needs. They would have been better off doubling down on alternatives, including nuke.

Oh Germany was even dumber than that: they relied on Russia for a large chunk of its energy needs. They would have been better off doubling down on alternatives, including nuke.
This is one of the core problems with the current green movement. Much of it is steeped in the 'not in my backyard' mentality. We want to control emissions by removing and controlling our local power creation but forget that when that forces us to buy from other sources it is far worse.

There is a real disconnect between what we want to get done, what people will accept and what our current measures actually achieve.

Jamie Dimon is a financial expert, not a climate expert. The solution is to make more renewable energy readily available and cheaper through more supply.
Similarly, climate activists are not economists. Further, Climate activists are too quick to think renewable can replace fossil energy immediately; worse, that US fossil fuel companies must be punished while Eastern Europe and Asian fossil fuel companies get a pass.

Forum List

Back