Jonah Goldberg Goodness

Sep 12, 2008
I get a weekly email blog from the National Review, which included this gem:

The late senator Alan Cranston had a great line during the Watergate hearings: "Those who tried to warn us back at the beginning of the New Deal of the dangers of one-man rule that lay ahead on the path we were taking toward strong, centralized government may not have been so wrong."

Anyway, I bring all this up because I think Nancy Pelosi's now-familiar promise to get the bill passed is a good synopsis of my point: "We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn't work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed for the American people."

Now, keep in mind, that it seems not to have occurred to Pelosi that these "gates" and "fences" are not merely hypothetical obstacles, but real obstacles put there for good reason. Few people put up fences and gates for no reason. Usually, people who disregard locked fences and closed gates do so because they are trying to go some place they shouldn't go. Most often, we call them "criminals."

It speaks for itself, so I have nothing to add. But I thought I would pass it along for your delectation.

The late senator Alan Cranston had a great line during the Watergate hearings: "Those who tried to warn us back at the beginning of the New Deal of the dangers of one-man rule that lay ahead on the path we were taking toward strong, centralized government may not have been so wrong."

Anyway, I bring all this up because I think Nancy Pelosi's now-familiar promise to get the bill passed is a good synopsis of my point: "We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn't work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed for the American people."

Now, keep in mind, that it seems not to have occurred to Pelosi that these "gates" and "fences" are not merely hypothetical obstacles, but real obstacles put there for good reason. Few people put up fences and gates for no reason. Usually, people who disregard locked fences and closed gates do so because they are trying to go some place they shouldn't go. Most often, we call them "criminals."

It speaks for itself, so I have nothing to add. But I thought I would pass it along for your delectation.

Yea, the fences, gates and obstacles were put in place by for profit cartels spending 1.4 million dollars per day to stop this legislation and right wing scum called Republicans that want to destroy our President...

sorry to hear that, but i guess you can unsubscribe anytime.

Yea, the fences, gates and obstacles were put in place by for profit cartels spending 1.4 million dollars per day to stop this legislation and right wing scum called Republicans that want to destroy our President...
Neither mentioned that the Senate health reform bill, which is the basis for Democrats' last best chance at comprehensive reform, would give the insurance companies millions of new customers required by law to buy health insurance. It would also require insurers to cover everyone, regardless of age, gender or pre-existing condition.

To help pay for the new insurance requirements the government would give to people money to buy insurance - $336 billion over the next ten years. That money, ultimately, would have to go to... drum roll... insurance companies.

A Complicated Enemy: Obama Seeks to Vilify Health Insurers, Give Them $336 Billion Check - The Note

Neither mentioned that the Senate health reform bill, which is the basis for Democrats' last best chance at comprehensive reform, would give the insurance companies millions of new customers required by law to buy health insurance. It would also require insurers to cover everyone, regardless of age, gender or pre-existing condition.

To help pay for the new insurance requirements the government would give to people money to buy insurance - $336 billion over the next ten years. That money, ultimately, would have to go to... drum roll... insurance companies.

A Complicated Enemy: Obama Seeks to Vilify Health Insurers, Give Them $336 Billion Check - The Note

It's not how I would do it...we should have a single payer system or at the very minimum a public option...but progressive's have little power in Washington. This reform is far to the right of progressive ideas...so as usual, the closer you get to Republican ideas, the more the people lose...

It is not a final solution, but it's progress, and something to build on...

The Congressional Progressive Caucus (CPC) is the largest caucus within the Democratic caucus in the United States Congress with 83 declared members, and works to advance progressive issues and positions.[1]
The CPC was founded in 1991 and currently has more than 80 members. The Caucus is co-chaired by Representatives Raúl Grijalva (D-AZ) and Lynn Woolsey (D-CA). Of the 20 standing committees of the House, 11 are chaired by members of the CPC.

The Congressional Progressive Caucus (CPC) is the largest caucus within the Democratic caucus in the United States Congress with 83 declared members, and works to advance progressive issues and positions.[1]
The CPC was founded in 1991 and currently has more than 80 members. The Caucus is co-chaired by Representatives Raúl Grijalva (D-AZ) and Lynn Woolsey (D-CA). Of the 20 standing committees of the House, 11 are chaired by members of the CPC.

And all they can do is forward progressive ideas and legislation. But it doesn't have the votes or the power to pass or enact their ideas.

Glenn Beck is a moron...and so are you...

And all they can do is forward progressive ideas and legislation. But it doesn't have the votes or the power to pass or enact their ideas.

Glenn Beck is a moron...and so are you...

I got your sentiments earlier .

You are SCUM and your mother had to be scum too...you will always get back a neg rep

It's not how I would do it...we should have a single payer system or at the very minimum a public option...but progressive's have little power in Washington. This reform is far to the right of progressive ideas...so as usual, the closer you get to Republican ideas, the more the people lose...

Was "final solution" a Freudian slip because Eugenicist Ezekiel Emaunel is advising Obama on Health Care ?

Progress to what?

Progress to what?

Affordable health care, so families aren't forced to invest huge sums of their hard earned money in insurance cartels just itching to fire them when the NEED coverage the most.

Progress to what?

Affordable health care, so families aren't forced to invest huge sums of their hard earned money in insurance cartels just itching to fire them when the NEED coverage the most.

And how does making the system work progress is toward that?

New Topics

Forum List

Back