Jon Stewart Takes On Bernie Goldberg ;)

I wonder who will win the match of....

JewJitsu.jpg

A long, long time ago, we met this other couple and became fast friends with them. We were all in the Army at the time. Decades passed and we went our separate ways. About 15 years ago, we reunited with them and began going on vacations together - which we still do to this day.

He is a retired, U.S. Army officer. She was born and raised in Charleston, SC. I think you may be beginning to get the picture. Our politics are not essentially in synch . . .

Whenever we are guests at their timeshare, they run the television. We watch a lot of Fox News during these periods - a LOT of Fox News. Because that is basically all they ever watch, I kid you not. These are truly, Fox News Republicans.

I always come away from vacations with them just shaking my head. How they can buy into the junk that is shoved at them 24/7 from Fox News is totally beyond me. They are not stupid people, not in the least.

Anyway, kudos to Stewart - as always, he hits the mark dead center in this piece.

I always come away from vacations with them just shaking my head. How they can buy into the junk that is shoved at them 24/7 from Fox News is totally beyond me. They are not stupid people, not in the least.

Anyway, kudos to Stewart - as always, he hits the mark dead center in this piece.

I feel that way when i leave my parents' home. :lol:

Another thought, more in point with regard to the video . . .

Looks like Jon and Bernie are each chiding the other for "generalizing." Recent posts I have read on USMB cause me to ask: What's so damn wrong with generalizing?

For example, I think there are a number of generalizations that can be made about both liberals and conservatives which are quite correct. What I see happening on this Board is, that whenever someone throws out a generalization about the other side that is bad, they are immediately accused of generalizing and derided as being an idiot and a partisan hack - the unstated implication, of course, being, that the author of the generalization attack is an exception to the generalization.

Are we going to have to preface every statement we make about the other side with "most" or "many" under pain of being attacked for generalizing if we fail to observe this technicality? I think there ought to be a requirement of a personal disclaimer from a generalization attacker that they do not hold the view that is claimed to be held by the entire group, before they can be allowed to make a generalization attack.

I know that all liberals feel this way. ;)

Looks like Jon and Bernie are each chiding the other for "generalizing." Recent posts I have read on USMB cause me to ask: What's so damn wrong with generalizing?

For example, I think there are a number of generalizations that can be made about both liberals and conservatives which are quite correct. What I see happening on this Board is, that whenever someone throws out a generalization about the other side that is bad, they are immediately accused of generalizing and derided as being an idiot and a partisan hack - the unstated implication, of course, being, that the author of the generalization attack is an exception to the generalization.

Are we going to have to preface every statement we make about the other side with "most" or "many" under pain of being attacked for generalizing if we fail to observe this technicality? I think there ought to be a requirement of a personal disclaimer from a generalization attacker that they do not hold the view that is claimed to be held by the entire group, before they can be allowed to make a generalization attack.

sometimes, not always, generalizations are just a shorthand based on certain basic realities. other times, not so much.

the trick is knowing which is which...

sometimes, not always, generalizations are just a shorthand based on certain basic realities. other times, not so much.

the trick is knowing which is which...

Agree. There are a number of generalizations that could be made about liberals that I think few people would disagree with. Same about conservatives.

I would feel a lot better if someone attacking another person for "generalizing" would say something like: "Well, yes - I would agree that what you are claiming is certainly believed by most (whatevers). I personally do not hold that view, however, and here's why. . . "

This, at least, would be a springboard to (hopefully) an at least halfway rational discussion about the point in contention.

But then, I keep forgetting that this is an Internet message board . . .

Forum List

Back