Joint Chiefs of Staff issue military-wide memo condemning Capitol riot, confirming Biden will become next commander in chief

I said a long time ago on USMB that all those assholes here who were talking up civil war by stopping the Congressional reading of the already confirmed electoral votes ... should go ahead and try it.

I warned them that it would be the end of Trumpism. That it would be messy and a tragedy, but would have only one result. Most of the fools who followed Trump all the way to this logical, almost inevitable end ... will not pay any price. They were allowed to stroll out of the Congress building and most will never even be prosecuted. Most of the keyboard warriors for Trump will continue to apologize for him and regurgitate Trump-like demagogy.

The maniacal narcissist Trump himself will pay a (small) price. I am glad the Democrats — no angels themselves — and groups like the Lincoln Project, and corporate America too, seem finally to be taking this popular authoritarian threat seriously. It is important that the military and police forces do so as well. The U.S. remains highly vulnerable.

Even if the Republican Party can purge itself of Trump’s cult, and Trump is politically destroyed, other authoritarian threats will arise — because the U.S. is losing its once overwhelming military and economic world supremacy. Our police and military forces, like our people, are not yet fully ready to face the new world that is coming. The rank-and-file military and police may not always be reliable defenders of our Republic. But it will take a lot more than the incompetent narcissist and play actor Trump to win them away from their duty.
You are a funny man... First you trash Trump, then in the next breath you claim weaknesses in our nation (the very weaknesses Trump was trying to fix), and then you trash the police and such, basically saying to what in effect, that we might have to be monitored by the blue helmets soon ???
I do not believe Trump was trying to fix the weaknesses in our nation.

My position is both “progressive” and radically democratic (small “d”). Corporate (collectivized economic) power is probably counterposed ultimately to the real interests of the people. But our corporate-dominated democratic Republic — like in the days of our founding Republic of slave owners — is absolutely worth defending.

There may indeed come a day when Wall Street supports an authoritarian strongman who openly flouts our Republican institutions, but it damn well has not come yet. If and when that day comes, only then will it be the job of the people to rally to defend our democratic institutions and expose the corporate backers of dictatorship.

Forum List

Back