John Bolton Should Stay at U.N.

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
If you think Bolton's done a good job as America's ambassador, take a few minutes of your time and let your elected representatives know that you think he should remain at the U.N. Without people making their wishes known, Bolton's nomination will never leave the committee for a floor vote.

John Bolton's U.N. Success
By Suzanne Fields, The Washington Times
November 27, 2006

Bias against the West in general and the United States and Israel in particular is not an isolated issue, but demonstrates clearly what's wrong at Turtle Bay. "Member states must choose," says John Bolton. "Do we desire a viable United Nations system, composed of agencies respected for their role in conflict resolution, human rights, economic development, education and culture, or will we continue to acquiesce to a narrow agenda of bias, stalemate and polemics?"

Many of Mr. Bolton's former critics concede now that he has "no horns." He's a lot better than that. He offers insight with a moderate tone, and works diligently with other countries in public and behind the scenes to focus on the serious problems, such as the nuclear-weapons programs in North Korea and Iran and the deepening human-rights catastrophe in Darfur.

Most of all, he has been forceful in arguing that if the United Nations wants to be taken seriously by serious people it must reexamine its mission: "Member states must demonstrate the will to break with the past and make the United Nations a relevant voice not only for the Israel-Palestinian conflict, but for all the conflicts and issues worldwide that are equally in need of the U.N.'s attention." What a pity -- for the United States and for the United Nations -- if John Bolton himself isn't around to guide in confronting those challenges.

for full article:
http://www.washtimes.com/op-ed/sfields.htm

John Bolton is out..

you know.. like Ken Mehlman and a whole class of republicans in congress.:dev3:

If you think Bolton's done a good job as America's ambassador, take a few minutes of your time and let your elected representatives know that you think he should remain at the U.N. Without people making their wishes known, Bolton's nomination will never leave the committee for a floor vote.

John Bolton's U.N. Success
By Suzanne Fields, The Washington Times
November 27, 2006

Bias against the West in general and the United States and Israel in particular is not an isolated issue, but demonstrates clearly what's wrong at Turtle Bay. "Member states must choose," says John Bolton. "Do we desire a viable United Nations system, composed of agencies respected for their role in conflict resolution, human rights, economic development, education and culture, or will we continue to acquiesce to a narrow agenda of bias, stalemate and polemics?"

Many of Mr. Bolton's former critics concede now that he has "no horns." He's a lot better than that. He offers insight with a moderate tone, and works diligently with other countries in public and behind the scenes to focus on the serious problems, such as the nuclear-weapons programs in North Korea and Iran and the deepening human-rights catastrophe in Darfur.

Most of all, he has been forceful in arguing that if the United Nations wants to be taken seriously by serious people it must reexamine its mission: "Member states must demonstrate the will to break with the past and make the United Nations a relevant voice not only for the Israel-Palestinian conflict, but for all the conflicts and issues worldwide that are equally in need of the U.N.'s attention." What a pity -- for the United States and for the United Nations -- if John Bolton himself isn't around to guide in confronting those challenges.

for full article:
http://www.washtimes.com/op-ed/sfields.htm

Man, I hate having to agree with the WATimes.... and I particularly hate Bush having by-passed congress in Bolton's appointment. but...

Bolton's got real issues in the diplomacy department, but he happens to be good on the Is/Pal issue.

how does the saying go?

elections have consequences?

something like that?:bye1:

Man, I hate having to agree with the WATimes.... and I particularly hate Bush having by-passed congress in Bolton's appointment. but...

Bolton's got real issues in the diplomacy department, but he happens to be good on the Is/Pal issue.

Issues? Because he offends our enemies?

If we had more men like him and Rummy we'd be much better off.

Issues? Because he offends our enemies?

If we had more men like him and Rummy we'd be much better off.

It's the job of a diplomat to be diplomatic. And what enemies? Everyone else in the world? How about our traditional allies? But I'm not even speaking only to that... he was insane with the people who worked for him.

This thread isn't about Rummy and I'm not going to address him except to say good riddence to bad rubbish.

And in case you didn't notice, there are actually things about Bolton I like. So there ya go.

Too bad he's supposed to be Americas' voice--not Israels. I bet that's a tough choice for some folks.

It's the job of a diplomat to be diplomatic. And what enemies? Everyone else in the world? How about our traditional allies? But I'm not even speaking only to that... he was insane with the people who worked for him.....

In this case diplomacy with our enemies- which there are many, including all those who support terrorism, and all those who thwart our efforts to combat terrorism- means a blunt punch in the nose. A liberal like you will think this is simplistic and will only cause resentment- but that's because you don't understand how the real world works, never having been there. Our enemies only respect power and when you show weakness they see that as an opening to kill you.

In this case diplomacy with our enemies- which there are many, including all those who support terrorism, and all those who thwart our efforts to combat terrorism- means a blunt punch in the nose. A liberal like you will think this is simplistic and will only cause resentment- but that's because you don't understand how the real world works, never having been there. Our enemies only respect power and when you show weakness they see that as an opening to kill you.

You do know, don't you, that being opposed to Bush's little misadventure in Iraq isn't opposing fighting terrorism in any way, shape or form.

And if you think I'm liberal when it comes to terrorists, you've been far too busy labeling and not reading.

You do know, don't you, that being opposed to Bush's little misadventure in Iraq isn't opposing fighting terrorism in any way, shape or form.

And if you think I'm liberal when it comes to terrorists, you've been far too busy labeling and not reading.

To deny the obvious, that Iran is central to the war on terrorism, is beyond stupidity. :splat:

The fact that GWB had to use a recess appointment to get around a GOP controlled Senate, shows just how inept the Republicans have been. The GOP didn't deserve to be the majority party in Congress, because the Republicans don't know how to act like a majority.

Is Bolton the reason why GWB (like all other U.S. Presidents since Eisenhower) forced Israel to accept a cease-fire in its latest battle with terrorists, i.e., Hamas in Lebanon?

It is interesting the God promised Isaac that He would bless the people that blessed Isaac and curse the people that cursed Isaac. Isaac transferred this promise to his own son Jacob: Genesis 27:29 Let people serve thee, and nations bow down to thee: be lord over thy brethren, and let thy mother's sons bow down to thee: cursed be every one that curseth thee, and blessed be he that blesseth thee.

In October 1956 Egypt’s president took over the Suez Canal and closed the Straits of Tiran to Israeli shipping. The British and French invaded the canal region while Israel captured Sharm el Sheik to re-open the straits. When the Israelis, British and French (OK mostly the Israelis and Brits) were on the verge of total victory over Egypt Eisenhower and the UN forced them to accept a ceasefire and Israel was compelled to return Sharm el Sheik to Egypt. About 2 week or so later the Republicans lost both Houses of Congress.

Sound familiar?

[1]The fact that GWB had to use a recess appointment to get around a GOP controlled Senate, shows just how inept the Republicans have been. The GOP didn't deserve to be the majority party in Congress, because the Republicans don't know how to act like a majority.

[2]Is Bolton the reason why GWB (like all other U.S. Presidents since Eisenhower) forced Israel to accept a cease-fire in its latest battle with terrorists, i.e., Hamas in Lebanon?

1. Amen to that.
2. I think it was Rice who did that, which surprised me.

It's the job of a diplomat to be diplomatic.

You cannot win when being diplomatic except when you have the military and economic power to either gain what you want or deny your adversary what he wants.

Since GWB and Company all seem to have one-tract minds that keeps them from admitting defeat while squandering our military and economic power, you are not likely to win diplomatically, militarily or economically.

Forum List

Back