Joey Vento, Founder Of Philly's Geno's Dies

bitterlyclingin

Silver Member
Aug 4, 2011
(You were not not only not going to pay for your cheesesteak sandwich at Geno's in Pesos, you were going to order it in English as well. There won't be any remnants of the Tower of Babel in Heaven, either, before long.)

"South Philly legend Joey Vento, who opened Geno’s Steaks at 9th and Passyunk in 1966, died today of a massive heart attack. Vento was 71.

“We’re a little tragic here right now,” Vento’s nephew Joseph Perno, manager at Geno’s, said tonight. “We’re doing fine. So far, so good.”

Vento was a controversial figure, perhaps known best for signs at his steak shop requiring customers to order in English that prompted a lawsuit in 2006. Geno’s Steaks also had a longstanding feud with Pat’s King of Steaks, which claims to have invented the cheesesteak in 1933.

Perno, 50, said Vento had come to work this morning. When Perno came in for his night shift, he found out that Vento had suffered a fatal heart attack. “He was here every morning,” Perno said. “He was here this morning. He was dedicated to his business and his family.”"

Michelle Malkin » Joey Vento, R.I.P.

Last edited:
Old age, stress from defending himself against the Nanny State's lawsuit.
Bill Clinton had a piece of pandering, Nanny State legislation passed when he was in office requiring all health care providers and agencies to have translators available to translate every language and dialect spoken in their clientele's area.
How many translators do you need to hire in the NYC area? What do they do to earn their pay when they're not translating?
"Government is not the answer to the problem. Government is the problem."
Barry Hussein's government regulators promulgated 600 new regulations last month at an estimated cost to the economy of some 9 billion dollars.
My empathy for Mr Vento is partly derived from a story my mother told me of her childhood.
When she arrived for her first day of school in this land, freshly bathed, powdered, wearing a brand new starched dress, everything went along fine until she spoke. At which point she was told to leave and not darken the schoolhouse door again until she learned to speak English. Which she, and millions of other newly arrived American 6 year olds, obligingly did. They learned enough English to sustain them through and defend America and its ideals through the entire Second World war.

Forum List

Back