Joe warned of food shortages so CA cuts water rations to farmers & another food producer set on fire. Pre-planned famine coming

Interesting how farmers are reacting.

Within 1/4 mile of where I'm sitting there are several farms which mostly raised potatoes. But not this year. The crops are different so I asked the family that has the one closest about what's going on. Here's the short summary:

The oldest of the family owns the farm. About 90 acres total.
The next (two) of the generation down live in houses they built on a part of the farm; their children range from 5 to about 14. Naturally they live at thome. In each of the second generation families one of the spouses works at things like graphic design and staffing of a private elementary school. So there is cash flow.

They work closely together and, as a group, decided that they're only going to use about half of their land for potatoes. The rest is heavily diversified. Food for their own family use. That means there'll be fewer potatoes in the local stores and the prices will be higher. It also means they'll be nearly self-sufficient especially since they also erected a shelter for six pigs that are fed the trimmings from the vegetables they're "putting up". Five of the six are pregnant so they'll have an ongoing supply of protein though pork isn't the best, it still works.

Shortages:

They are having a difficult time finding the plastic bags their vacuum-sealer uses and "canning jars" are a little less available than a year ago.

Most clever, I think:

Their summer project is restoring the old "wind machine" that used to drive the well pump before they got "district water" piped in.
The well is still workable but parts for the old pump aren't to be found. So they're working toward converting the old rig to generate electricity and come up with a unique storage idea so they'll have power to run some lights and pump some water (it's a fairly shallow well). I'll share that idea with you because it's clever and cheap.

---
New batteries are more than doubling in price. Used batteries are very close to free; check local gas stationsl Most lead-acid batteries respond well to "rejuvination" - there are plenty of devices available that do that. I know because I've used some to bring back to life batteries for mountaintop radio relay sites. True the retreaded batteries aren't good for the long term but a year or two of added life is very helpful.
---

None of this is practical for most people but once Xiden's rationing plan (no "books" or "stamps" - just plastic cards) kicks in you'll be assurred of enough to maintain a spark of life and the well-connected will profit mightily from :"Selling Access" (Thank you for the idea, Hunter!).

But Ithink I know who WILL be eating high on the hog(s).

Forum List

Back