Joe vs. Joe

Billy_Kinetta

Paladin of the Lost Hour
Mar 4, 2013
Joe wins!

With just 15 words, Joe Manchin ended the possibility that Joe Biden's first term would live up to the hopes that liberals had for it on everything from gun control to voting rights to even, possibly, the size and scope of the President's $2 trillion infrastructure bill.
"There is no circumstance in which I will vote to eliminate or weaken the filibuster," wrote the West Virginia Democratic senator in a Washington Post op-ed published Wednesday night.

Which is pretty dang airtight when it comes to pledges. And which means, assuming Manchin sticks to it, that Democrats do not have the 50 votes they would need to change the Senate rules to eliminate the legislative filibuster. Which, in turn, means that the idea of passing meaningful gun control legislation or moving forward on the election reform bill passed by the House are simply not possible.

Analysis: Joe Manchin just crushed liberals' dream for Joe Biden's first term

"There is no circumstance in which I will vote to eliminate or weaken the filibuster," wrote the West Virginia Democratic senator in a Washington Post op-ed published Wednesday night.

Which is pretty dang airtight when it comes to pledges.
He is a politician, so he has his price for being bought off.

Dunno. I get a strong impression he doesn't much like the hardcore Commie side of the party.

Some Repubs have said they would support an Infrastructure Bill that just fixes roads, port, and bridges.

Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) said over the weekend that Republicans could support a $615 billion package that only covers traditional infrastructure such as roads, ports and bridges.

But the Dems want to throw in a bunch of other shit that has nothing to do with infrastructure. Same as they did with the COVID Relief Bill, but I don't think Manchin is going to allow that again, but we'll see. And he isn't the only moderate Dem to be concerned about letting the Far Left run wild either.

Forum List

Back