Jewry

Wow it seems to be a given that I should just accept the conclusion that the Catholic Church is responsible for antisemitism and the Holocaust without any supporting facts.

Catholic Church and Judaism - Wikipedia
My intent was not to dump on the Catholic church as being the only persecutor of Jews in Europe. In fact, Martin Luther split from the Catholic Church and was rabidly anti-Semitic.

But to ignore the role that the Catholic Church played in anti-Semitism is disingenuous, even though you bring up instances where those in the Catholic church have tried to curb anti-Semitism. For example:

1. In 325 AD the Council of Nicea decided to separate the celebration of Easter from the Jewish Passover saying, "For it is unbecoming beyond measure that on this holiest of festivals we should follow the customs of the Jews. Henceforth, let us have nothing in common with this odious people."

2. In 327 Christian Emperor Constantius created a law which made the marriage of a Jewish man to a Christian punishable by death.

3. In 367 St. Hilary of Poiteiers referred to Jews as a perverse people who God has cursed forever. Saint Ephroem referred to synagogues as brothels.

4. In 380 the Bishop of Milan was responsible for the burning of a synagogue, he referred to it as an act of pleasing God.

5. In 415 the Bishop of Alexandria, Saint Cyril, expelled the Jews form an entire city.

6. In 561 the Bishop of Uzes expelled the Jews from his diocese in France.

7. In 613 Jews were given the choice of converting to Christianity or being expelled entirely from Spain. Jewish children over 6 years of age were taken from their parents and raised as Christians.

8. In 855 Jews were exiled from Italy.

9. In 1096 Crusaders passed through Europe to the Holy Land and along the way challenged Jews yelling, "Christ killers, embrace the cross or die!". About 12,000 Jews were murdered. Then when they got to the Holy Land in 1099 they forced all the Jews they could find into a central synagogue and lit it on fire.

10. In 1121 Jews were expelled from Flanders, what is now Belgium.

11. In 1146 the Second Crusade begun as the French monk Rudolf called for the destruction of the Jews.

12. In 1180 French King Phillip Augustus expelled Jews from France, but not before seizing all their wealth and keeping it for himself.

13. In 1205 Pope Innocent 111 srote to the archbishops of Sens and Paris that "the Jews, by their own guilt, are consigned to perpetual servitude because they crucified the Lord."

14. In 1227 the Synod of Narbonne required Jews to wear an oval badge. This requirement was later reinstated by Hitler.

15. In 1229 the Spanish Inquisition starts to flush out Jews as Pope Innocent lV later authorizes the use of torture by Inquisitors.

16. In 1267 the Synod of Vienna ordered Jews to wear horned hats.

17. In 1290 Jews were expelled from England.

18. In 1298 Jews were persecuted in Austria, Bavaria, and France as about 100,000 Jews were murdered in a 6 month period.

19 .In 1394 Jews were exiled a second time from France.

20. In 1497 Jews were banished from Portugal.

21. In 1516 the Governor of Venice decided that Jews would be permitted to live in a ghetto area known as the "Ghetto Novo". This was the first Jewish ghetto in Europe.

22. In 1555 the Roman Catholic Papal bull, "Cum nimis absurdum", required Jews to wear badges, and live in ghettos. They were also not allowed to own property. Woman had to wear a yellow scarf, men had to wear a piece of yellow cloth on their hat to help identify them.

But as I read past the life of Martin Luther, a time when the Guttenberg press had given the average person the written word of God to read for themselves, these Catholic atrocities waned considerably. The state then moved in as the Catholic church waned in political power in Europe.

1. In 1648 Chmielnicki Bogdan led an uprising against the Polish rule in the Ukraine. The second goal was to kill Jews as about 100,000 Jews were slaughtered.

2. In 1905 the Okhrana, the Russian secret police, created a document called the "Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion", which is used to persecute Jews to this very day. This later incited violence against Jews in 1915 and 1917 in the region that cost about 300,000 Jewish lives.

Then Hitler finished if all off with the anti-Semitic climax of European oppression of the Jew.

Naturally, there is far more here than I listed and by no means a comprehensive list.

My whole interpretation of these facts is that the state is to blame, and since the Catholic church for a time took on the role of the state, they engaged in such behavior. Once the Catholic church became more of a religious institution in the 1940's than a political one, they secretly opposed the Holocaust. Notice though that I said secretly, because had they come out publicly against the Holocaust, they all would have wound up like Bonhoeffer with their precious treasures in the Vatican to be looted. They were not willing to give up their lives to make such a righteous stand nor willing to give up their treasures like the prophets and apostles and early church had willingly done before them.

And this sort of thing still goes on today in the Catholic church. They still have their little world city that engages in politics, albeit not to the same extent as it once did, thank God. The same reason that the Catholic church was afraid to speak out publicly against the Holocaust is the same reason a Left wing Pope get up their today to preach about the evils of building walls (Orange man bad don't ya know just like Hitler) instead of addressing the church identified Holocaust of abortion today. Much to their shame. They are more tuned into pleasing the Left wing world powers that seem to rule the world to help increase their own worldly influence in it than focusing on brining the kingdom of God to the world.

But am I condemning all Catholics? No, but to ignore these facts, such as the Pope ignoring the pedophile problem in the church and continuing to play politics, is why the church continues to wane in importance and influence spiritually in the world today.

IF God was willing to burn his temple in Jerusalem because of apostasy he certainly will have no qualms about doing the same to the Vatican.
I don’t believe it is possible to fully understand how the church softened the rule of monarchy and the atrocities of the Nazis. It seems too easy to throw rocks at her. That’s just human nature.

RIGHT dingbat--------it is IMPOSSIBLE...............but there are lots of idiots who
keep trying

This article could just as well go in the What Are You Reading forum since it does address a lot of history, but, Jewry is a religion. The author is a jew and no doubt he'll be attacked and likely as not the article won't be read- (it's gasp, anti semite and we are all aware that is a sin of the highest order, right?) but here it is. And it brings to light the question I have yet to have satisfactorily answered; Why do US Christians defend jews with such zeal?
This article, while not dwelling on it, points out the jews have for christianity in their "doctrine" which apparently Rabbi's are very well aware of, meaning the teaching is still in existence. Also, in my reading of the novel the Malta Exchange which told briefly of the founding of catholicism, which is the birth of christianity, the expanse of the catholic religion should not be discounted to help understand the fear and hatred the jews have of christianity. Yes, I said hatred. This article, while not saying that explicitly, points out the history of jewry which can only be concluded as hatred though fueled by fear is at the heart, the very core of what drives jewry. Of course if a reader has a different take on the article I would very much enjoy seeing it.

Oddities of the Jewish Religion

About a decade ago, I happened to be talking with an eminent academic scholar who had become known for his sharp criticism of Israeli policies in the Middle East and America’s strong support for them. I mentioned that I myself had come to very similar conclusions some time before, and he asked when that had happened. I told him it had been in 1982, and I think he found my answer quite surprising. I got the sense that date was decades earlier than would have been given by almost anyone else he knew.

Jews have animosity for Christians and the Rabbi's are aware of this meaning it's still in existence? Maybe there are good reasons why some might still feel that way

Anti-Semitism of the "Church Fathers"

Just one SMALL example. Wait; there are others

Again; Just one more example.

When Pope Francis embraced an anti-Semite, and the media didn’t mind

Still object because of the adverse view some Jewish individuals have towards Christians? Too bad
Pogroms

You obviously brought up the Israeli/ Palestinian Coonflict. That's what you do when attempting to justify over 2000 years of Anti Semitic Christianity which is still present . Obviously that Conflict contradicts the Anti Semitism of the Catholic Church which is now 2020 years old. In discussing the conflict you didn't mention Israelis. You mentioned Jews which have nothing to do with the politics there.

Go back into your Christian " hole" land on your knees and take what your " father" gives to you. You learned so much from him
How do you know he's not Jewish?

He's certainly not a Christian.

As an aside, you will not find a bigger supporter of the Jewish people than me, yet most (if not all) of the Jews on this site attack my faith regularly. If there is any animosity, it's coming from your friends.
I've not noticed that here and I'm a Catholic. I suppose we really don't care WHAT others think of us. There is one Lutheran however but I digress; amazing on how many other things we agree on. There was one Jew (non-religious) who was a right asshole but he was banned. Then again; all religions have some assholes.

Greg

RIGHT dingbat--------it is IMPOSSIBLE...............but there are lots of idiots who
keep trying
It’s nice that you have such a balanced view of the world and her history and are such a pleasant person to converse with, Rosie.

This article could just as well go in the What Are You Reading forum since it does address a lot of history, but, Jewry is a religion. The author is a jew and no doubt he'll be attacked and likely as not the article won't be read- (it's gasp, anti semite and we are all aware that is a sin of the highest order, right?) but here it is. And it brings to light the question I have yet to have satisfactorily answered; Why do US Christians defend jews with such zeal?
This article, while not dwelling on it, points out the jews have for christianity in their "doctrine" which apparently Rabbi's are very well aware of, meaning the teaching is still in existence. Also, in my reading of the novel the Malta Exchange which told briefly of the founding of catholicism, which is the birth of christianity, the expanse of the catholic religion should not be discounted to help understand the fear and hatred the jews have of christianity. Yes, I said hatred. This article, while not saying that explicitly, points out the history of jewry which can only be concluded as hatred though fueled by fear is at the heart, the very core of what drives jewry. Of course if a reader has a different take on the article I would very much enjoy seeing it.

About a decade ago, I happened to be talking with an eminent academic scholar who had become known for his sharp criticism of Israeli policies in the Middle East and America’s strong support for them. I mentioned that I myself had come to very similar conclusions some time before, and he asked when that had happened. I told him it had been in 1982, and I think he found my answer quite surprising. I got the sense that date was decades earlier than would have been given by almost anyone else he knew.

Jews have animosity for Christians and the Rabbi's are aware of this meaning it's still in existence? Maybe there are good reasons why some might still feel that way

Still object because of the adverse view some Jewish individuals have towards Christians? Too bad
Pogroms

You obviously brought up the Israeli/ Palestinian Coonflict. That's what you do when attempting to justify over 2000 years of Anti Semitic Christianity which is still present . Obviously that Conflict contradicts the Anti Semitism of the Catholic Church which is now 2020 years old. In discussing the conflict you didn't mention Israelis. You mentioned Jews which have nothing to do with the politics there.

Go back into your Christian " hole" land on your knees and take what your " father" gives to you. You learned so much from him

As an aside, you will not find a bigger supporter of the Jewish people than me, yet most (if not all) of the Jews on this site attack my faith regularly. If there is any animosity, it's coming from your friends.
I've not noticed that here and I'm a Catholic. I suppose we really don't care WHAT others think of us. There is one Lutheran however but I digress; amazing on how many other things we agree on. There was one Jew (non-religious) who was a right asshole but he was banned. Then again; all religions have some assholes.

Greg
I certainly don’t. There’s a law of compensation at work. Everything works for the good of those who love God. It may not always be readily apparent but time helps to bring the picture into focus.

nothing anyone else thinks, or says or does can harm us. Only we can harm us by what we think, say and do.

This article, while not dwelling on it, points out the animosity jews have for christianity in their "doctrine" which apparently Rabbi's are very well aware of, meaning the teaching is still in existence. Also, in my reading of the novel the Malta Exchange which told briefly of the founding of catholicism, which is the birth of christianity, the expanse of the catholic religion should not be discounted to help understand the fear and hatred the jews have of christianity. Yes, I said hatred. This article, while not saying that explicitly, points out the history of jewry which can only be concluded as hatred though fueled by fear is at the heart, the very core of what drives jewry. Of course if a reader has a different take on the article I would very much enjoy seeing it.

Israel can wipe out the Arabs and isn’t.
Jews do not discuss Christians...ever.

That's correct.

But non Jews love discussing Jews.

An eternal fascination.

keep trying
It’s nice that you have such a balanced view of the world and her history and are such a pleasant person to converse with, Rosie.
I don't converse with Rosie enough; she's a goodun!!

Greg
We probably agree on things more than we disagree. But on the things we disagree on I find her most unpleasant.

This article, while not dwelling on it, points out the animosity jews have for christianity in their "doctrine" which apparently Rabbi's are very well aware of, meaning the teaching is still in existence. Also, in my reading of the novel the Malta Exchange which told briefly of the founding of catholicism, which is the birth of christianity, the expanse of the catholic religion should not be discounted to help understand the fear and hatred the jews have of christianity. Yes, I said hatred. This article, while not saying that explicitly, points out the history of jewry which can only be concluded as hatred though fueled by fear is at the heart, the very core of what drives jewry. Of course if a reader has a different take on the article I would very much enjoy seeing it.

That's correct.

An eternal fascination.
It’s a good thing you don’t believe the world revolves around you.

Pogroms

Greg
I certainly don’t. There’s a law of compensation at work. Everything works for the good of those who love God. It may not always be readily apparent but time helps to bring the picture into focus.

nothing anyone else thinks, or says or does can harm us. Only we can harm us by what we think, say and do.

Yes indeed, but of course we remain diligent to the asses within our own faiths. I had a bit of a blue with a Catholic anti-semite on more than one occasion. He was imo an jerk. I was fortunate to have nuns teach me young that, because God promised the Jews to be THEIR God, he just doesn't break His promise. Yeah; I think they missed the boat on Jesus but that's for God to sort out. lol

Greg

That's correct.

An eternal fascination.

I thought it revolved around you.

And that's neither good nor bad.

Get back down on your knees to continue your lessons
Thanks for proving my point.
Your welcome. You insult the Jewish people but can’t take it’s when it’s given back
When did I insult Jewish people?

can you show me?

You're always insulting me.
That’s not really showing me.

Showing you what?

As vague as ever. :1peleas:

Pogroms

Greg

Yes indeed, but of course we remain diligent to the asses within our own faiths. I had a bit of a blue with a Catholic anti-semite on more than one occasion. He was imo an jerk. I was fortunate to have nuns teach me young that, because God promised the Jews to be THEIR God, he just doesn't break His promise. Yeah; I think they missed the boat on Jesus but that's for God to sort out. lol

Greg
No doubt every organization has its share of assholes. I don’t know how anyone can believe otherwise.

I’ve always thought each organization should police its own for the good of the organization. Unfortunately I don’t see that happening enough.

Thanks for proving my point.
Your welcome. You insult the Jewish people but can’t take it’s when it’s given back

can you show me?

Showing you what?

I’m not playing your games. Figure it out.

can you show me?

Showing you what?

I’m not playing your games. Figure it out.

I'm not playing games, so you can stop that nonsense for a start.

That's correct.

An eternal fascination.

Einstein put US back at the center of creation; cool hey!!!:beer::beer::beer::beer:

Greg

That's correct.

An eternal fascination.

Einstein put US back at the center of creation; cool hey!!!:beer::beer::beer::beer:

Greg

When you think about who "created" them. :)

Forum List

Back