Jeter vs Jeter

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I am a tremendous NYYankee fan......and, at one time, felt that way about Derek Jeter.

That ended when he took back the ball offered by Christian Lopez, when he should have declined same and told Lopez to make a fortune on Ebay with the ball.

In any case, I feel my epithany about Jeter was ahead of the curve....pun intended.

Excellent and revealing article that must be read by Jeter fans, and those who are no longer Jeter fans.

"Inside the Derek Jeter-Brian Cashman feud that festered for years before Stanton heist"

While Cashman insists that he liked Jeter as a player, it isn’t entirely clear that he means it. Or maybe it’s fairer to say that there were two Derek Jeters — the happy-go-lucky kid from Kalamazoo who came up at twenty-one and seduced the sport with his cool-hand poise, that gift for the big play on the grand stage, and the thirty-something Jeter who became somewhat hardened by fame. Treated like a civic institution in New York — worshiped by the faithful in their Jumpman-branded garb, teenage fan-girls rocking RE2PECT tank tops, and adored and protected by the tabloid scolds who trolled other stars on Page Six — he somehow remembered every slight and provocation. Jeter grew distant from writers who dared to notice that he couldn’t get around on a good fastball. His initial coldness toward Alex Rodríguez was as stark as it was cruel: there was that graceless moment in 2006 when a routine pop fly somehow fell between them. Jeter, hands on hips, glared daggers at A-Rod, emasculating him on national TV. That Derek Jeter wasn’t fun to general-manage — or to have playing behind you when you pitched.
https://nypost.com/2019/03/20/insid...that-festered-for-years-before-stanton-heist/

Jeter is the most overrated athlete in the history of the game

I don't know that he's over-rated. He was a good, solid player for the Yankees forever. Outside New York...not so much. I personally wish I could have hit him with a Taser for his ritual of stepping out of the box and adjusting BOTH batting gloves FOR EVERY FUCKING PITCH OF HIS FIFTY-YEAR CAREER. But that's just me.

As for Rodriquez-Jeter, I seem to recall that A-Rod quietly agreed to shift to Third Base, given Jeter's roots as SS in New York. He could have kicked up a fuss but didn't.

I don't know that he's over-rated. He was a good, solid player for the Yankees forever. Outside New York...not so much. I personally wish I could have hit him with a Taser for his ritual of stepping out of the box and adjusting BOTH batting gloves FOR EVERY FUCKING PITCH OF HIS FIFTY-YEAR CAREER. But that's just me.

As for Rodriquez-Jeter, I seem to recall that A-Rod quietly agreed to shift to Third Base, given Jeter's roots as SS in New York. He could have kicked up a fuss but didn't.

It appears the Karma bus is making a regular stop at the Marlins.....

Jeter was a good hitter...and, at best, a mediocre shortstop. In the field, he was awful-as in, historically bad, one of the worst defensive shortstops ever. That he won ONE Gold Glove is a travesty. He was frequently the THIRD-best shortstop on the team. He should have been playing second base or right field by 2000.

Jeter was a good hitter...and, at best, a mediocre shortstop. In the field, he was awful-as in, historically bad, one of the worst defensive shortstops ever. That he won ONE Gold Glove is a travesty. He was frequently the THIRD-best shortstop on the team. He should have been playing second base or right field by 2000.

Drop back when you sober up.

"Where does Derek Jeter Rank among All-Time Shortstops?

I referred to the JAWS listing above – JAWS is a nice metric that tries to combine the quantity and quality of a player’s career. It does this by averaging a player’s total WAR (Wins Above Replacement) number with their 7-year peak WAR number. The top 18 shortstops in terms of JAWS are:

• Honus Wagner 98.2 (131.0 Total WAR)
  • Alex Rodriguez 90.1 (116)
  • Cal Ripken 75.8 (95.5)
  • George Davis 64.5 (84.7)
  • Robin Yount 62.1 (77.0)
  • Arky Vaughan 61.8 (72.9)
  • Ernie Banks 59.7 (67.5)
  • Ozzie Smith 59.4 (76.5)
  • Luke Appling 59.2 (74.5)
  • Bill Dahlen 57.7 (75.2)
  • Alan Trammell 57.5 (70.4)
  • Derek Jeter 57.0 (71.8)
  • Barry Larkin 56.6 (70.2)
  • Bobby Wallace 56.0 (70.2)
  • Lou Boudreau 55.8 (63.0)
  • Joe Cronin 55.2 (66.4)
  • Pee Wee Reese 53.6 (66.3)
  • Jack Glasscock 51.4 (61.9)
Where does Derek Jeter Rank among All-Time Shortstops? : Seamheads.com

Yet again: Jeter was a BAD defensive shortstop. As far back as 2001, people noticed that. In 2007, his UZR was worst in the AL. (It was never better than average.) He was a good hitter, absolutely.

In the field, Derek Jeter was, at best, mediocre, and often dreadful.2002-2005, he was the worst defensive shortstop in baseball. Jeter winning even ONE Gold Glove is a travesty. https://www.webcitation.org/5u9QH1o...-all-but-four-shortstops-in-baseball-history/

He was never better than average, and was a defensive liability for most of his career.

Yet again: Jeter was a BAD defensive shortstop. As far back as 2001, people noticed that. In 2007, his UZR was worst in the AL. (It was never better than average.) He was a good hitter, absolutely.

In the field, Derek Jeter was, at best, mediocre, and often dreadful.2002-2005, he was the worst defensive shortstop in baseball. Jeter winning even ONE Gold Glove is a travesty. https://www.webcitation.org/5u9QH1o...-all-but-four-shortstops-in-baseball-history/

He was never better than average, and was a defensive liability for most of his career.

Absurd.

Forum List

Back