Zone1 Jesus Is Being Presented As Non-Binary Now

This is America and I do have a say in what I believe. You seem to have a problem with that. I have a problem with wrathful people who think they are qualified to speak for God on what is right and wrong.
I usually don't start speaking for God until after the third drink.

Minding your business means keeping your peculiar religious ideas out of the legal code. I guess I didn't make myself clear enough. The political half of your religion just can't seem to leave people alone.
That's a tough one because everyone has values and principles which are molded by our beliefs and experiences and everyone should be able vote their conscience accordingly. Even you made that argument for yourself when you wrote, "This is America and I do have a say in what I believe. You seem to have a problem with that. I have a problem with wrathful people who think they are qualified to speak for God on what is right and wrong."

No offense but it seems like that you both may have a problem with others voting their conscience. And that you both believe you are qualified to define right and wrong and that the other one isn't.

That's a tough one because everyone has values and principles which are molded by our beliefs and experiences and everyone should be able vote their conscience accordingly. Even you made that argument for yourself when you wrote, "This is America and I do have a say in what I believe. You seem to have a problem with that. I have a problem with wrathful people who think they are qualified to speak for God on what is right and wrong."

No offense but it seems like that you both may have a problem with others voting their conscience. And that you both believe you are qualified to define right and wrong and that the other one isn't.
People are religious mainly because they are afraid of death and can't bear the thought of their loved ones being non-existent. I'm not going to attack the thing that helps them deal with their dread. On the other hand there are some "sins" that help me get through life without regret and existential dread. They should leave my bad habits alone for the same reason.

People are religious mainly because they are afraid of death and can't bear the thought of their loved ones being non-existent. I'm not going to attack the thing that helps them deal with their dread.
I say it a little differently. It's not because they are afraid of death. It's because religion offers multiple functional advantages over non-belief and that we are hardwired to worship the Creator and that's why we flock together with others of similar mindsets. It's Darwinian so to speak. There are two components to natural selection; functional advantage and transfer of functional advantage to the next generation. David Foster Wallace said that we all worship something and the only choice in the matter is what we choose to worship. We are literally hardwired for it. Throughout history every society has overwhelmingly held the belief that man is more than just matter and that there is a higher power than man. When we look at the data today we see that more and more people are rejecting organized religion but have not abandoned their belief that they are more than just matter or that there is a force which connects or binds us all. From the atheist's vantage point these beliefs exist because of evolutionary forces. But the reality is that even that argument confirms that spirituality offers a functional advantage over materialism and that's why religion continues to exist.

On the other hand there are some "sins" that help me get through life without regret and existential dread. They should leave my bad habits alone for the same reason.
It's not virtuous if one is forced to be virtuous. So I don't necessarily disagree. The problem as I see it is that we live in a shared society with shared consequences. As such there will be standards that will be established and those standards will be debated and likely contentious. And that's when the fight started.

Correction, I'm anti religion. Mind your own damned business and worship as you please and you'll never hear me complain. Leave people alone to find heaven or hell on their own terms.

you come TO THE RELIGION FORUM all the time to complain, are you kidding? What, do the mods drag you here?

So you believe marriage is unnatural? I'm pretty sure Darwin would disagree.

too bad christian - in reference to heavenly nature the practice of monogamy is far and few between than those that can not survive without the trappings to persecute and victimize the innocent -

your own religion, the two marys, joseph and jesus were chosen by the heavens for their freedom from monogamous despotism ... and despite your c-bible joseph and mary never would have married by law and lived ever happily, ever after.

Forum List

Back