Jerry Lewis, comedy legend, dead at 91

Two legends died this week....two great men, who championed great causes and left their mark on us all, Dick Gregory and Mr. Lewis.

So sad, here he is with is son Gary Lewis.

A other song from is son.

I remember when I was little girl, sending off for one of those fund raising MDA kits...it came with a lot of pin up games you could play and bet money with....I don't know if I raised any money, but I do remember all the kids gathering around tossing their pennies on my makeshift table and having fun. Bottom line, Jerry did good and God gave him a long life to show, he really appreciated his efforts.

Two legends died this week....two great men, who championed great causes and left their mark on us all, Dick Gregory and Mr. Lewis.

Yes another loss of one of the great ones. Dick Gregory was one of those guys that was always funny. Too many of these legends are passing now.

I do not know if in his daily life he was serious not comic at all like Louis De Funès and Rowan Atkinson ?

I do not know if in his daily life he was serious not comic at all like Louis De Funès and Rowan Atkinson ?

He was serious. He lived in Vegas. I did, too, and a friend of mine used to hang out with him a lot. He was not that pleasant to be around, but he had a lot of influence and connections. I was told that he was very self-centered, egotistical, and moody.

He was serious. He lived in Vegas. I did, too, and a friend of mine used to hang out with him a lot. He was not that pleasant to be around, but he had a lot of influence and connections. I was told that he was very self-centered, egotistical, and moody.
Thank you for the answer, it seems that the comic actors are more detestable in everyday life, it was the case of Louis De Funes he did not have a very good reputation and a very proud person, I know less the history of Jerry Lewis and it seem that Mr Bean have the same reputation as Louis de Funès.

Last edited:
He was a good example of the "comedian" who is simply willing to do anything to get a laugh. JL often complained of the injuries and pain he experienced doing "pratfalls." Well, if he was actually funny, he wouldn't have to fall down to get a laugh.

Woody Allen is (was) funny. Jerry Lewis made you laugh with discomfort. Or not. When I was 10 I thought he was great.

I recall picking up and reading Dick Gregory's book N**** back in either the late 60's or early 70's.

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. I understand there are a good many Southerners in the room tonight. I know the South very well. I spent twenty years there one night.

Last time I was down South I walked into this restaurant and this white waitress came up to me and said, "We don't serve colored people here." I said, "That's all right. I don't eat colored people. Bring me a whole fried chicken."

Then these three white boys came up to me and said, "Boy, we're giving you fair warning. Anything you do to that chicken, we're gonna do to you." So I put down my knife and fork, I picked up that chicken and I kissed it. Then I said, "Line up, boys!"
As for Jerry Lewis, the only movie I remember seeing him in was his very brief scene in It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World where he's driving a car and runs over the police captain's hat. Every now and then I have to watch that movie just to recall all the many great ones, it is like a time capsule. Mostly recall Lewis' guest appearances on talk shows and of course the Labor Day Telethons.

Forum List

Back