Jelly batteries...cheaper, safer, smaller, and more powerful

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
A new polymer jelly could be the next big step forward for lithium batteries.

The jelly replaces the volatile and hazardous liquid electrolyte currently used in most lithium batteries.

Researchers from the University of Leeds hope their development leads to smaller, cheaper and safer gadgets.

Once on the market, the lithium jelly batteries could allow lighter laptop computers, and more efficient electric cars.

The newly developed jelly batteries should prevent "thermal runaway", during which batteries can reach hundreds of degrees and catch fire.

The Leeds-based researchers are promising that their jelly batteries are as safe as polymer batteries, perform like liquid-filled batteries, but are 10 to 20% the price of either.

The secret to their success lies in blending a rubber-like polymer with a conductive, liquid electrolyte into a thin, flexible film of gel that sits between the battery electrodes.

"The polymer gel looks like a solid film, but it actually contains about 70% liquid electrolyte," explained the study's lead author, Professor Ian Ward from the University of Leeds.

"The remarkable thing is that we can make the separation between the solid and liquid phase at the point that it hits the electrodes.

BBC News - Jelly batteries: Safer, cheaper, smaller, more powerful

OK, then how did you get aquire the latest in lithium polymer jel batteries, and where are the graphs comparing them to your older batteries.

More green unicorns.

Gel cells are old news....They're more expensive with little appreciable benefit of reliability or durability to justify the cost.

You might want to actually read the article.

A new jel in Lithium batteries dude and cheaper.

the great Dude knows all, even when he doen not ;)

You can pull your foot from mouth now.

Last edited:
More green unicorns.

Gel cells are old news....They're more expensive with little appreciable benefit of reliability or durability to justify the cost.

I read the article...

Researchers from the University of Leeds hope their development leads to smaller, cheaper and safer gadgets.

Your hope and unicorn shit in the college lab doesn't equal a cheaper battery at the boat shop.

I believe you mentioned something about removing metatarsals from the mandibular region?

More green unicorns.

I read the article...

Your hope and unicorn shit in the college lab doesn't equal a cheaper battery at the boat shop.

I believe you mentioned something about removing metatarsals from the mandibular region?

You got some in your boat?

LMAO.

Just go ahead and pull your foot from your mouth.

You got 3 lithium batteries on your boat?

Last edited:

I read the article...

You got some in your boat?

LMAO.

Just go ahead and pull your foot from your mouth.

You got 3 lithium batteries on your boat?
We have three batteries total...Two (in series) for the electric trolling motors and one for the boat's electrical system.

The gel cells that are available get priced out every year...As have NiCads.

The projected durability vs. price still doesn't make sense where it counts....The wallet.

A shame that enviroloons are such shitty salesmen.

Last edited:
Next step for the Rainbow Unicorn Policemen??? Push for legislation to outlaw Ni-cad and Lithium-ion batteries, and provide government loans to newly formed "jelly belly battery corp" for a minimum $10 trillion dollars!! Together, we can change the world!! WOOHOO!!!!

unicorn_rainbow.jpg

Republicans/rightys/neocons/tea partiers or whatever name you have for yourselves these days, sure are interesting folks when discussing the environment and/or new ideas. maybe we should always reject and ridicule this idea of new ideas and stuff. makes the head hurt, anyway. And I always love the way-out-of-line-considering-the-topic attack dog aggressive retorts. maybe a bit of over reaction? you guys seem so angry and pissed about everything environmental. lighten up. it's just a post someone wanted to share.

Last edited:
Republicans/rightys/neocons/tea partiers or whatever name you have for yourselves these days, sure are interesting folks when discussing the environment and/or new ideas. maybe we should always reject and ridicule this idea of new ideas and stuff. makes the head hurt, anyway. And I always love the way-out-of-line-considering-the-topic attack dog aggressive retorts. maybe a bit of over reaction? you guys seem so angry and pissed about everything environmental. lighten up. it's just a post someone wanted to share.

pissed?

I cant think of anywhere else on the internet I have more fun than in here dishing out public humiliation to the green k00ks who think theyre winning. The level of fail is now gone beyond epic to historic. Assholes no longer have a leg to stand on except discussions of drivel about temperatures on the internet.

And whats actually happening in the "real world" when suppossedly there is a total "consensus"?
DICK

Nobody cares about this shit anymore. Its not even debatable.

Shit........even Obama couldnt give a rats ass anymore, although he'll throw a bone or two the k00ks way just to keep them happy. But it wont mean dick in the bigger picture...........and thank God for that. Three years ago I had to worry about my electric bill doubling on account of the environmental nutters. NOw? No worries.........as their efforts fall deeper and deeper into the abyss.

Last edited:

pissed?

I cant think of anywhere else on the internet I have more fun than in here dishing out public humiliation to the green k00ks who think theyre winning. The level of fail is now gone beyond epic to historic. Assholes no longer have a leg to stand on except discussions of drivel about temperatures on the internet.

And whats actually happening in the "real world" when suppossedly there is a total "consensus"?
DICK

Nobody cares about this shit anymore. Its not even debatable.

Shit........even Obama couldnt give a rats ass anymore, although he'll throw a bone or two the k00ks way just to keep them happy. But it wont mean dick in the bigger picture...........and thank God for that. Three years ago I had to worry about my electric bill doubling on account of the environmental nutters. NOw? No worries.........as their efforts fall deeper and deeper into the abyss.

So is this post of yours an example of how "you are not pissed"?:tongue::lol:

thanks fer verifying!

I have tried a few different gel batteries for different applications and have found them no better or worse than a normal lead/acid battery with the exception that they do not like getting cold then they fail completely.

Future Headlines

An unconfirmed report from the Commerce Department says that Jelly Belly Battery Corporation may be awarded $500,000,000.00 in loan guarantees by the Obama administration to develop these Jelly batteries.

Un-named sources say that Obama really likes jelly beans and Michelle uses so many batteries for her "personal massage device", that "developing a newer, more powerful, greener, more expensive battery is a win/win. People need to stop having so many choices when it comes to batteries. It is my job to pick and choose for you". Developing..........:lol::lol:

Forum List

Back