Jehovah’s Witnesses complete entire Bible in American Sign Language

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
When Howard Mallory first saw the Gospel of Matthew rendered in American Sign Language nearly 15 years ago, he said he was able to understand it more easily than when reading it in English.

“Seeing it in sign language, it was amazing,” said Mallory, a deaf Jehovah's Witness from Northfield, New Hampshire. “Of course, we wanted more. Only one book was done.”

On Feb. 15, the last of the Bible's 66 books — the story of Job — was released in video on the Jehovah's Witnesses website, completing what Robert Hendriks, U.S. spokesman for the church, said is the only complete Bible in ASL.

There have been 60 million downloads of the free videos — the signers are all men, dressed in jackets and ties — with the English translation below, since the Gospel of Matthew was released in 2006.
Jehovah’s Witnesses complete entire Bible in American Sign Language - Religion News Service

Really? The first? That's kind of wow.

When Howard Mallory first saw the Gospel of Matthew rendered in American Sign Language nearly 15 years ago, he said he was able to understand it more easily than when reading it in English.

“Seeing it in sign language, it was amazing,” said Mallory, a deaf Jehovah's Witness from Northfield, New Hampshire. “Of course, we wanted more. Only one book was done.”

On Feb. 15, the last of the Bible's 66 books — the story of Job — was released in video on the Jehovah's Witnesses website, completing what Robert Hendriks, U.S. spokesman for the church, said is the only complete Bible in ASL.

There have been 60 million downloads of the free videos — the signers are all men, dressed in jackets and ties — with the English translation below, since the Gospel of Matthew was released in 2006.
Jehovah’s Witnesses complete entire Bible in American Sign Language - Religion News Service

So was it the KJV or the Green Dragon

It's too bad because the Jehovah's Witness Bible is deliberately mistranslated.

And for the Blind, what is available to read in ancient script?
braille.jpeg

For the life of me I can't understand what this braille plate says, it's all gibberish.

Last time a JW came to my door step I asked them if Jehovah died
I then quoted several passages from their own Bible in Rev. 1 and 2
That was a couple of years ago
I haven't seen them back since. Or their magazines left on my doorstep
They must have written me off as ripped

I did not realize that myself - I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Thank you for the link!

Here are two links from our website concerning the ASL Bible:

Excerpt:

"On February 15, 2020, Brother Geoffrey Jackson, a member of the Governing Body, released the final book of the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures in American Sign Language (ASL). It is the first complete sign-language Bible translation in the world. This historic announcement was a highlight of the dedication program for the new ASL Remote Translation Office (RTO) in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, U.S.A. The program was held at the Christian Convention Center of Jehovah’s Witnesses in West Palm Beach, Florida.

More than 2,500 attended the program while another 15,635 were tied in by livestream to Kingdom Halls throughout Belize, Canada, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Trinidad and Tobago, and the United States, bringing the total attendance to over 18,000."

Seems like a lot of work, for little gain.

It's too bad because the Jehovah's Witness Bible is deliberately mistranslated.

I don't believe that and I have researched many verses translated from the original Hebrew and Greek. Of course, no translation is perfect and even NW has different editions. My personal favorite is our 1984 reference edition.

Can you post any specific verses to which you refer? Meanwhile, two examples of comparative translation:

1. The Divine Name (H3068/Yehovah/Jehovah) is found nearly 7,000 times in the Hebrew Scriptures (= OT) but in all but 4 verses KJV removes it and substitutes Lord/H113/adon/H136/adonay. [see Psalms 83:18 KJV]

2. Some translations of Matthew 11:12 here:

Notice our Greek-English interlinear (KIT/Int). And notice how KJV promotes violence (the Crusaders would have loved KJV!) in contrast with our translation (NW).

No financial gain is involved. Jesus foretold many bad things for these last days which we do not wish to be part of - but Jesus also foretold something good which we are part of:

Matthew 24:14
(GNB) And this Good News about the Kingdom will be preached through all the world for a witness to all people; and then the end will come.

Or "to all nations." Revelation 14:6 adds "to all languages" - one translation (with Strong's numbers)

Revelation 14:6
(ABP+) AndG2532 I sawG1492 anotherG243 angelG32 flyingG4072 inG1722 mid-heavenG3321 havingG2192 [2good newsG2098 1eternal]G166 to announce good newsG2097 for the onesG3588 being settledG2521 uponG1909 theG3588 earth,G1093 andG2532 untoG1909 everyG3956 nation,G1484 andG2532 tribe,G5443 andG2532 language,G1100 andG2532 people,G2992

I think our website has over 1,000 languages btw:

www.jw.org

No financial gain is involved. ...

Was not thinking of money. But I meant the gain of a few people, who might be more able to appreciate the work, because it is sign language instead of the written word.

I hope the people involved are ALL of the opinion that there efforts are worth it, even if they only save ONE (or a few) soul(s), because I dont' see this having much of an impact on very many people.

No financial gain is involved. ...

Was not thinking of money. But I meant the gain of a few people, who might be more able to appreciate the work, because it is sign language instead of the written word.

I hope the people involved are ALL of the opinion that there efforts are worth it, even if they only save ONE (or a few) soul(s), because I dont' see this having much of an impact on very many people.

A sign of the last days!

Forum List

Back