Jamaica

Plenty..
Go to Negril first of all,Montego Bay sucks.
Dont know what you like as far as accommodations go,need to let me know if you're an all inclusive type or not.
Go here for a shitload of info...
Negril.com Message Board Forums

I'll say this..Jamaica isnt for everyone. If you're insulted by what can be intense sales pressure from the locals you need to stay in an all inclusive and dont leave the reservation.

Personally we stay in the smaller boutique type places and dont mind interacting with the locals. Once you figure them out they can be pretty cool.

Depending on whether you like the beach or the Cliffs(the West End) will make a big difference in which way I'd direct you as well.
I prefer the Cliffs and would recommend Catcha Falling Star or Rock House,while there are more expensive places you cant really beat these two for the money.
If I had to choose between the two I would go with Catcha,Kevin and Ty the bartenders are a riot.

Plenty..
Go to Negril first of all,Montego Bay sucks.
Dont know what you like as far as accommodations go,need to let me know if you're an all inclusive type or not.
Go here for a shitload of info...
Negril.com Message Board Forums

I'll say this..Jamaica isnt for everyone. If you're insulted by what can be intense sales pressure from the locals you need to stay in an all inclusive and dont leave the reservation.

Personally we stay in the smaller boutique type places and dont mind interacting with the locals. Once you figure them out they can be pretty cool.

Depending on whether you like the beach or the Cliffs(the West End) will make a big difference in which way I'd direct you as well.
I prefer the Cliffs and would recommend Catcha Falling Star or Rock House,while there are more expensive places you cant really beat these two for the money.
If I had to choose between the two I would go with Catcha,Kevin and Ty the bartenders are a riot.

I loved your summation Too funny! And spot on. Still cracking up.

We're thinking of spending three weeks in Jamaica this coming August. Anyone been, got any recommendations?

Family or romance? Oh and young romance versus old romance?

Help us out here. I'm into the old romance zone these days. Not into perky so it makes a difference in choosing where we party. :)

When we were there on a cruise we were told ....."for your own safety dont venture outside the compound"

When we were there on a cruise we were told ....."for your own safety dont venture outside the compound"

Hahaha you get that in New Orleans too. Just part of being smart when travelling.

I'm originally from TO so Jamaica is like a sister to me. Whenever travelling know where you are going and embrace it and love it but also find where you need to fear it especially if you are like my husband and I and we like to go off the beaten path. But you must be very very careful when you do this.

Hahaha you get that in New Orleans too. Just part of being smart when travelling.

I'm originally from TO so Jamaica is like a sister to me. Whenever travelling know where you are going and embrace it and love it but also find where you need to fear it especially if you are like my husband and I and we like to go off the beaten path. But you must be very very careful when you do this.
Been to New Orleans....Left day before Katrina hit, before We went had a customer who was from the area tell me not to go past French QTR.....Stayed in CBD at the Windsor Ct. One day we went to one of the plantations and on way back Canal st was stopped so I jogged over a street to go the couple blocks to the hotel. Thought I drove thru time warp or something, looked like bombed out war zone, junk cars parked at all angles in front of wrecked homes,,,remember this was before Katrina

I've been all over Jamaica.
The cruise lines and the all inclusive hotels dont want you leaving the reservation and spending your money elsewhere.
That being said there is crime but it's not nearly as bad as they say.
I dont doubt there is some of that but the chain link fence around the Port was lined solid with people just watching or trying to sell ya something. sorta lent a little credence to their caution. Took a bus tour thru a city and then on to a beach.

I've been all over Jamaica.
The cruise lines and the all inclusive hotels dont want you leaving the reservation and spending your money elsewhere.
That being said there is crime but it's not nearly as bad as they say.
I dont doubt there is some of that but the chain link fence around the Port was lined solid with people just watching or trying to sell ya something. sorta lent a little credence to their caution. Took a bus tour thru a city and then on to a beach.

The majority of those people are harmless. But anywhere you have a bunch of short visit tourist in Jamaica you're going to see this.
If you dont go to those places you wont have a problem.
And it helps if you know how to talk to them,they already think you're a rich American so avoid acting and dressing like one.
The first time the wife and I went to Jamaica we had problems with the "vendors".
The first few days we were pissed and said we wouldnt come back. By day three we were booking another stay.
Take the time to get to know the real Jamaicans and you find yourself enjoying there unique look on life.
Hell,I've been to ganja farms out in the bush,you just need to know the right people.

Been to New Orleans....Left day before Katrina hit, before We went had a customer who was from the area tell me not to go past French QTR.....Stayed in CBD at the Windsor Ct. One day we went to one of the plantations and on way back Canal st was stopped so I jogged over a street to go the couple blocks to the hotel. Thought I drove thru time warp or something, looked like bombed out war zone, junk cars parked at all angles in front of wrecked homes,,,remember this was before Katrina
New Orleans is the anus of North America.

So even out and about they trail ya?? What was your standard reply or approach?

So even out and about they trail ya?? What was your standard reply or approach?

If the locals see you as an easy mark they'll try and take advantage of you.
One of their favorite tactics for noobs is to ask you where you're staying in order to find out how much disposable income you might have....when they ask that you tell em with a big smile on your face that you're staying at their house. Nine out of ten of em will laugh and smile in acknowledgement that you aren't an easy mark. And it's even better if his buddies are hanging out watching his "sales skills" which is common because they like to give their buddies shit just like we do.

Another good tip if you like to walk seven mile beach..
You will be accosted every fifty yards or less and asked to buy anything from weed,coke,X and everything in between. How you respond to these beach entrepreneurs will dictate how the rest of your stay will go.
If you respond with arrogance and anger you will receive shitty treatment from all the other vendors and locals on the beach.
There are two good excuses you can put out... I get tested at work and I cant partake,or I'm a cop from atlanta so dont fuck with me. You can pretty much guess which will give you the better stay.

If you dont want to make an effort to blend with the locals I'd recommend vacationing in Florida.

New Orleans is the anus of North America.

I bet I know where you got your shoes.....

Sounds more like you're fending them off ......not blending..............

They value respect. If you go in with attitude they wont like you.
If you dont have the mentality to try and understand the culture I dont recommend you go to Jamaica, just stop in the port and get back on the boat.
I'm not knocking you if thats the way you are,I'm just saying that if you want the most out of Jamaica you have to put in some effort...you wont be disappointed if you like to experience new cultures.

Think I have better things to do than no thanks 10,000 times a day.........if you think thats enjoyable fine.........I dont see how it ads anything but annoyance......and there has to be more to Jamaican culture than fending off the locals

Forum List

Back