I've never shot a gun in my life.

Teddy Pollins

Feb 26, 2015
I'm in my mid thirties. I'm not against guns in anyway, just never have been around them. I've gotten 2 9mm. One for me and my wife. We would like to learn everything we can about weapons with the goal of being able to protect our family and just enjoy shooting recreationally. We also look forward to getting our boys into 4-H target shooting soon. My question for you all is: What are some of the best resources for beginners in gun culture? Is it really necessary? How can I get familiar with old traditional Gun culture?
gun-culture.gif

I'm in my mid thirties. I'm not against guns in anyway, just never have been around them. I've gotten 2 9mm. One for me and my wife. We would like to learn everything we can about weapons with the goal of being able to protect our family and just enjoy shooting recreationally. We also look forward to getting our boys into 4-H target shooting soon. My question for you all is: What are some of the best resources for beginners in gun culture? Is it really necessary? How can I get familiar with old traditional Gun culture?
gun-culture.gif

You know what you need now.

A .22 revolver or semi-auto, so you learn the basics of shooting without all the noise and expense of the 9mm.

gun-culture.gif

You know what you need now.

A .22 revolver or semi-auto, so you learn the basics of shooting without all the noise and expense of the 9mm.
Agreed. It's much easier to establish good marksmanship skills with a light pistol than something with more "oomph". I would also recommend both marksmanship and safety classes, especially for the youngsters. I used to teach both and the kids are always keenly interested.

I grew up with guns, have always shot guns and own quite a few.

JMO but 9mm is not a good place to start.

Be that as it may, get some professional help and don't get caught up in the current gun insanity.

Go to the NRA website and look for local instructors. It never hurts to have good guidance from someone especially at the range. You will need to know the do and don'ts of etiquette and what others there expect you to do. If you have no experience at all I wouldn't just go winging it.

Go to a gun store in your area. They will have information on gun safety training courses. They are very worthwhile.

They will also be able to tell you about shooting ranges in your area (if any). They always emphasize safe and effective gun handling.

Practice makes perfect.

Call your local gun ranges and sign up for a class.

BTW, some of the sillier leftists believe that owning a gun turns you into a slavering, trigger-happy wild man.

Try not to slobber on the ammo, it may misfire.

i'd get in touch with the NRA 'TED' , take some basic safety course for you and the wife . Pretty easy I think as most gun ranges are NRA affiliated . Join a gun club if one is in your area . Do some reading , buy an issue or 2 of the available gun mags . Thing I enjoy is reading about famous shooters in earlier times in America. One old guy in particular named ELMER KEITH was around as the really old cowboys , gun fighters were still around but were pretty old and dying off . Elmer was heavily influenced by these old gun fighters when he was a kid and gained a lot of gun knowledge and learned gun history and common gun handling . Elmer was a big influence in the gun industry helping to develop both the .357 and the .44 magnum . One book in particular is - HELL I WAS THERE - . Lots of colorful easy reading , mostly hunting and long range shooting with revolvers , some pistol and rifle . You said old style , well Elmer was old style . If you ever get to Boise Idaho check out the CABELA's for an interesting display and info on Elmer.

BTW, some of the sillier leftists believe that owning a gun turns you into a slavering, trigger-happy wild man.

Try not to slobber on the ammo, it may misfire.

That is because they think everyone else is as stupid as they are when it comes to handling that kind of responsibility. Just like in their personal lives, they feel better when government is calling the shots.

gun-culture.gif

Forgive me, Teddy, but didn't I respond to your thread about a high school assignment you were given concerning a debate your class was doing on the benefit of high taxes? Or was that someone else?

Are you a teacher or a student? High school? Needing help with an assignment?

Last edited:
When you have a gun actually pointed at you, you get a whole deferent drift on this issue. I shot a gun off once, after I took it away from the man threating my life. I shot it in to the grass, POP POP POP POP...I hate guns. Nobody needs a gun anymore, this isn't the frontier or the cowboy days anymore. Nope, so why all the bloody guns?

I grew up with guns, have always shot guns and own quite a few.

JMO but 9mm is not a good place to start.

Be that as it may, get some professional help and don't get caught up in the current gun insanity.

Typical Duddly post. It's OK for him to shoot guns and to own several, but God forbid you neophytes get "caught up in the current gun culture." What a hypocrite.

When you have a gun actually pointed at you, you get a whole deferent drift on this issue. I shot a gun off once, after I took it away from the man threating my life. I shot it in to the grass, POP POP POP POP...I hate guns. Nobody needs a gun anymore, this isn't the frontier or the cowboy days anymore. Nope, so why all the bloody guns?

Listen to MaryL

There is nothing on this planet that she has not experienced and is not an authority about.

And, what she doesn't know ^^^, she is more than willing to make up out of whole cloth ^^^.

:rolleyes:

Forum List

Back