It's unlikely the Challenger passengers died in the explosion.

They probably did die in the explosion. Even if they didn't, consider this: At zero feet altitude and a temperature at 59 degrees F, the air pressure is 29.92 inches.

The Challenger was at 46,000 feet when it went Kaboom. The air pressure would only be 6.1 inches and the temperature would be minus 70 degrees.

That would suck. At that altitude, the blood starts to boil.
So it depends on whether or not the cabin lost pressure (depressurized ?) before descending.

But why increase their grief if they DIDN'T know? I
They did. I remember this info from 30 years ago.
I didn't know this, thanks for the info. I can't imagine how horrific it must have been for the family and friends to witness it. Especially the ones that were there in Florida.
You bet. The engineers and physicist demonstrated pretty quickly that the force on the cabin wasn't even enough to seriously injure them. I remember reading this long ago. Not sure how long...30 years seems right.

I didn't know this, thanks for the info. I can't imagine how horrific it must have been for the family and friends to witness it. Especially the ones that were there in Florida.
You bet. The engineers and physicist demonstrated pretty quickly that the force on the cabin wasn't even enough to seriously injure them. I remember reading this long ago. Not sure how long...30 years seems right.
All I can think of is those poor, poor people. Knowing that they were just moments from death. So very sad. And I apologize for being such a jerk towards you on other threads. I hope you and your loved ones are coping well amidst the virus craziness.

All I can think of is those poor, poor people. Knowing that they were just moments from death. So very sad. And I apologize for being such a jerk towards you on other threads. I hope you and your loved ones are coping well amidst the virus craziness.
Well thank you for the kind words. I'm town on it. They fell for literally minutes. At least they got to make their peace, I suppose.

Well thank you for the kind words. I'm town on it. They fell for literally minutes. At least they got to make their peace, I suppose.
1585879616544.png

The cabin of the Shuttle was built to withstand much more then the rest of the vehicle. It is believed officially that there was a decompression of the cabin and that many of the astronauts survived the explosion. The cabin fell and hit the ocean killing whoever was left alive. The Shuttle's first few minutes or so nothing could be done if there was an emergency. The solid rocket motors once ignited can not be turned off and the Shuttle would need to expunge the boosters, separate from the main tank, orient itself for a landing somewhere or have the astronauts jump from it. If the Shuttle was designed on top of the booster stack it may have been different.

New Topics

Forum List

Back