It’s Time to Stop Rationalizing and Enabling Evangelical Vaccine Rejection

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
I am a God on this message board.
From conservative David French.

An excerpt:

There is no religious liberty interest in refusing the COVID vaccine.

As we approach nine months of vaccine availability and nine months of flood-the-zone coverage of vaccine safety and efficacy, it is clear that much (though certainly not all) of our remaining refusal problem is not one of information but one of moral formation itself. The very moral framework of millions of our fellow citizens—the way in which they understand the balance between liberty and responsibility—is gravely skewed.

To understand the skew, it’s first necessary to understand the proper balance, and while we have vaccine endorsements from Christian leaders from across the Catholic/Protestant spectrum, we also have guidance from church fathers—individuals who no one can claim have caved to some “establishment” or are motivated by supposed invites to mythical beltway “cocktail parties.” For example, read these famous words from Martin Luther, written during a plague in his own time:

Therefore I shall ask God mercifully to protect us. Then I shall fumigate, help purify the air, administer medicine, and take it. I shall avoid places and persons where my presence is not needed in order not to become contaminated and thus perchance infect and pollute others, and so cause their death as a result of my negligence. If God should wish to take me, he will surely find me and I have done what he has expected of me and so I am not responsible for either my own death or the death of others. If my neighbor needs me, however, I shall not avoid place or person but will go freely, as stated above. See, this is such a God-fearing faith because it is neither brash nor foolhardy and does not tempt God.
The balance is clear. It is incumbent on the Christian to take care of themselves, including by taking medicine “in order not to become contaminated” (a nice definition of a vaccine before vaccines were invented). To the extent that he or she takes risks, those risks should be on behalf of others. As a person created in the image of God, taking care of yourself is an independent good. Taking care of yourself so that you can care for others is an even nobler good.

Christian vaccine refusal not only rejects self-care, it enhances risks to innocent and vulnerable neighbors. Even vaccinated people can catch relatively rare breakthrough cases. And every person—regardless of vaccination status—is vulnerable to the strains placed on a region’s hospitals when COVID runs rampant.

I also fear that the relentless right-wing political focus on religious liberty has obscured two realities—that our liberties have limits when they collide with the rights of others, and that the exercise of our liberty carries with it profound moral responsibility.

vaccine endorsements from Christian leaders from across the Catholic/Protestant spectrum, we also have guidance from church fathers—individuals who no one can claim have caved to some “establishment” or are motivated by supposed invites to mythical beltway “cocktail parties.”
Sounds like those preachers are falling off the pulpit flat on their faces drunk in front of the whole congregation. Shot of methadone to help all the woke people get a good night's sleep? Or what the hell's in that "vaccine?"

Lots of doctors and medical professionals don't trust the vaccine and people pushing it.
Lots of doctors think if you eat bacon you'll burn in hell for all eternity, too. An overwhelming minority, of course, same as your antivaxxers. Let's compromise. If you're hospitalized with Covid and haven't been vaccinated, ask to be treated by an anti-vax doctor you can trust, and refuse a space in a hospital until one is found or until you make it to one.

Lots of doctors think if you eat bacon you'll burn in hell for all eternity, too. An overwhelming minority, of course, same as your antivaxxers. Let's compromise. If you're hospitalized with Covid and haven't been vaccinated, ask to be treated by an anti-vax doctor you can trust, and refuse a space in a hospital until one is found or until you make it to one.

Compromise..........

You worry about you and let me worry about me.

Evangelicals make up their religion as they go along for political reasons, as does the Catholic Church. Never a dull moment in what they will make up next. Now it's that the Supreme Being doesn't want you to get vaccinated and wear a mask. Neither of these "faiths" have come close to identifying with the life, teachings, and examples of the person they say is their "savior." A good friend of mine told me two nights ago that she thought that the obsession of these two faiths with the bloody tortuous manner of Jesus' death satisfied a psycho-sexual impulse. I can't disagree. His teachings certainly never took hold.

Evangelicals make up their religion as they go along for political reasons, as does the Catholic Church. Never a dull moment in what they will make up next. Now it's that the Supreme Being doesn't want you to get vaccinated and wear a mask. Neither of these "faiths" have come close to identifying with the life, teachings, and examples of the person they say is their "savior." A good friend of mine told me two nights ago that she thought that the obsession of these two faiths with the bloody tortuous manner of Jesus' death satisfied a psycho-sexual impulse. I can't disagree. His teachings certainly never took hold.

Are you okay

Are you okay
Yes. thank you for asking. The rest of us are not responsible for what the Evangelicals and the Catholics do. They can continue to make up a religion. It is obvious that these folks lost the plot a long time ago. We are just looking for the way forward into the future.

Yes. thank you for asking. The rest of us are not responsible for what the Evangelicals and the Catholics do. They can continue to make up a religion. It is obvious that these folks lost the plot a long time ago. We are just looking for the way forward into the future.

So, still not okay.

Got it

Sometimes with science, you need to play the odds. Since Biden hasn't been right about anything yet, science says he should be mostly ignored.

So, still not okay.

Got it
Explain what is "not okay" about it. You idiots can still have your cults and bimbos. You still can choose your own path, but many of us aren't on the same one. You still remain free to kiss frankie graham's ass or something. Just leave the rest out of your little love nest.

From conservative David French.

An excerpt:

There is no religious liberty interest in refusing the COVID vaccine.

As we approach nine months of vaccine availability and nine months of flood-the-zone coverage of vaccine safety and efficacy, it is clear that much (though certainly not all) of our remaining refusal problem is not one of information but one of moral formation itself. The very moral framework of millions of our fellow citizens—the way in which they understand the balance between liberty and responsibility—is gravely skewed.

To understand the skew, it’s first necessary to understand the proper balance, and while we have vaccine endorsements from Christian leaders from across the Catholic/Protestant spectrum, we also have guidance from church fathers—individuals who no one can claim have caved to some “establishment” or are motivated by supposed invites to mythical beltway “cocktail parties.” For example, read these famous words from Martin Luther, written during a plague in his own time:

The balance is clear. It is incumbent on the Christian to take care of themselves, including by taking medicine “in order not to become contaminated” (a nice definition of a vaccine before vaccines were invented). To the extent that he or she takes risks, those risks should be on behalf of others. As a person created in the image of God, taking care of yourself is an independent good. Taking care of yourself so that you can care for others is an even nobler good.

Christian vaccine refusal not only rejects self-care, it enhances risks to innocent and vulnerable neighbors. Even vaccinated people can catch relatively rare breakthrough cases. And every person—regardless of vaccination status—is vulnerable to the strains placed on a region’s hospitals when COVID runs rampant.

I also fear that the relentless right-wing political focus on religious liberty has obscured two realities—that our liberties have limits when they collide with the rights of others, and that the exercise of our liberty carries with it profound moral responsibility.

Nro
Establishment central

dttdgdggdggdgdgdbbdbdbd.jpeg

New Topics

Forum List

Back