"It's Time to Get Real About Abortion"

catzmeow

Gold Member
Aug 14, 2008
Gunshine State
Excellent reality check by David Frumm:

Let's get real about abortions - CNN.com

Abortion is a product of poverty and maternal distress.
A woman who enjoys the most emotional and financial security and who has chosen the timing of her pregnancy will not choose abortion, even when abortion laws are liberal. A woman who is dominated, who is poor and who fears bearing the child is likely to find an abortion, even where abortion is restricted, as it was across the United States before 1965.

So maybe at the next candidates' debate, a journalist will deflect the discussion away from "what if" and instead ask this:

"Rather than tell us what you'd like to ban, tell us please what you think government should do to support more happy and healthy childbearing, to reduce unwanted pregnancies and to alleviate the economic anxieties of mothers-to-be?"

So, you say you're anti-abortion. What are you willing to do (or have government do, on your behalf) to reduce unwanted pregnancies?

A woman who enjoys the most emotional and financial security and who has chosen the timing of her pregnancy will not choose abortion, even when abortion laws are liberal. A woman who is dominated, who is poor and who fears bearing the child is likely to find an abortion, even where abortion is restricted, as it was across the United States before 1965.

So maybe at the next candidates' debate, a journalist will deflect the discussion away from "what if" and instead ask this:

"Rather than tell us what you'd like to ban, tell us please what you think government should do to support more happy and healthy childbearing, to reduce unwanted pregnancies and to alleviate the economic anxieties of mothers-to-be?"

So, you say you're anti-abortion. What are you willing to do (or have government do, on your behalf) to reduce unwanted pregnancies?

I interpret this article as apologist. Apologizing for the after effects of an "unwanted pregnancy" on a woman's life. I am anti-abortion. That said, I think the epidemic of abortion is first a problem of personal responsibility, and distantly secondarily a matter of the one of many excuses a women uses for seeking and ultimately having one. Conceiving a life results in the acceptance, voluntarily or otherwise, of very heavy personal responsibility to which one ought to have to legally answer for/be held accountable for.

Before the result occurred of having an unwanted pregnancy, the individual ought to have given exteremely careful thought to the consequence of eliding contraception or common sense from their intimate relations or using controlled substances prior to the act, or the state of their personal finances. Abortion as a means used to escape personal responsibility for creation of another life is the real issue, alongside the murder of a developing infant to cure the personal inconvienence of an unwanted pregnancy.

The core of my feeling is that once pregnant, a second life with separate and equally valid human rights enters the picture. Prior to becoming pregnant, the individual was an autonomous, sentient, independent individual with full rights as guaranteed by the Constitution. This was the point where better decisions should have been made. When the individual ought to have asked herself such questions as "do I want to have another child?" "can I afford to?" "should I risk sex without contraception?" and on an on in this vein. Personal responsibility for a new life I believe trumps the aftermath, when the unwanted pregnancy is the aftermath of a voluntary decision.

In the case of a victim of rape, where the rape has resulted in pregnancy, special consideration should be afforded the mother and resulting child. What form this consideration might take is a highly valid topic for debate.

Personal beliefs aside, I would forward better sexual education for the youth of the nation as a first step toward reduction of the desire for abortions. It's a tired, worn out drum to beat but I believe general ignorance of biological functions results in and of itself in many unplanned pregancies. This better sexual education should begin at home and continue in schools. Perhaps create a future parents mentoring center in public schools tasked with counseling our children in the risks and rewards of sex of parenthood and of well thought out pregancies, etc.

Last edited:
I suspect the majority of responses will be that its not the governments job to promote pregnancy over abortion nor to offer assistance to women who would choose to carry to term if they felt more secure.

I actually agree with that position, I am however, pro-choice.

Is Frumm arguing that rich people never have abortions?

So, you say you're anti-murder. What are you willing to do to reduce overpopulation?

Wealthy women have abortions all the time.

Look up the case for legal abortion in Northern Ireland. They were able to prove that rich anti-abortion types were getting abortions themselves outside the country. Abortions are now legal in Northern Ireland.

Abortion is a "last resort" to an unwanted or defective birth. Birth control (when allowed by religion) is a good preventative measure but education and responsibility are the best first step. That requires ACTIVE parenting which is sadly lacking in our wonderful USA. I would estimate that most parents consider themselves "good parents" as long as they provide all the material things that their children want. I am not against this practice as long as responsibility is taught at the same time. In all actuality, beyond the basic needs there are only two thing that children need:
1. Love
2. loving discipline
That means that it is up to the parents to establish what is right and wrong and all the other rules needed to have a healthy life and finally to enforce the rules in a black and white fashion.
Love lets the child know it is cared for but if the child doesn't know what rules are in play at any given time they have to continually test to find out - they lose any sense of security in the process.
Children who are secure and employ a sense of discipline in their life are not swayed by peer pressure or the latest drug or fad craze.
This does require that parents live by the rules too. No speeding, no cheating on taxes, no taking of things that are not yours and so on. Children learn what they live and from what they are taught. They don't always learn what they are taught but they will learn something from that lesson.
Back to the topic at hand...
What is the real reason that a woman has an abortion? - guys, we have NO clue so butt out! Your opinions have no place in the reality of a woman's choice.
so, women, if you would be willing to share;
What would one put in a poll for reasons to have an abortion?
Please, men have enough respect to let the women answer this. If you want to get real this is one step on the way.

I fail to understand why it's the government that needs to do something about these things rather than the individual.

Spade?

Forum List

Back