It’s the sun and it’s coming for us

You think CMEs won’t do damage. Proof you’re uninformed.

CMEs occur on a regular basis ... and they aren't damaging ... in fact, the Sun spews this material all the time in all directions ... we call it the solar wind and it's mostly made of bare nekked protons ... CMEs are more concentrated and can damage satellites in orbit, but we simply turn off the satellites until the CME passes ... usually no damage at all ...

In 1854 we left everything turned on ... and in just a few places we had some fires started ... today we'll have a day's warning to prepare ... and we'll have everything turned off ...

You don't seem smart enough to understand your own links ... why should I believe you know anything about high-energy particle physics? ... where do bare nekked protons comes from in the first place? ...

CMEs occur on a regular basis ... and they aren't damaging ... in fact, the Sun spews this material all the time in all directions ... we call it the solar wind and it's mostly made of bare nekked protons ... CMEs are more concentrated and can damage satellites in orbit, but we simply turn off the satellites until the CME passes ... usually no damage at all ...

In 1854 we left everything turned on ... and in just a few places we had some fires started ... today we'll have a day's warning to prepare ... and we'll have everything turned off ...

You don't seem smart enough to understand your own links ... why should I believe you know anything about high-energy particle physics? ... where do bare nekked protons comes from in the first place? ...
A major Cme will could do significant damage to the electrical grid. you’ve failed to comprehend the links I’ve posted. Why?

A major Cme will could do significant damage to the electrical grid. you’ve failed to comprehend the links I’ve posted. Why?

"Could" is right ... point to where your first link mentions CMEs ... try reading it before you claim it does ... and I pointed out the lies in your second link ... you have no response? ...

I think it is you who fail to understand the links you've posted ... start with the first one ... point to where it mentions CMEs ...

Here is a good video series for you to get up to speed. Watch the entire series starting with this video.

"Could" is right ... point to where your first link mentions CMEs ... try reading it before you claim it does ... and I pointed out the lies in your second link ... you have no response? ...

I think it is you who fail to understand the links you've posted ... start with the first one ... point to where it mentions CMEs ...

denying the dangers of a major Cme is foolish. Does this help?

Coronal mass ejections: What are they and how do they form?​

By Daisy Dobrijevic published May 26, 2022
These colossal clouds of plasma can wreak havoc with power grids and satellites, but can also trigger stunning aurora displays.

These relatively slower travel times are useful as they give us more time to prepare for such an arrival. CMEs can wreak havoc with power grids, telecommunication networks and orbiting satellites and expose astronauts to dangerous doses of radiation. Conversely, CMEs are a welcomed visitor for skywatchers worldwide as they can trigger impressive aurora displays that are visible at latitudes beyond their "normal" polar range.

Technological malfunctions​

Large CMEs can cause technological malfunctions that are especially problematic in our modern world.

The Carrington Event in 1859 caused worldwide telegraph system failures. According to History.com(opens in new tab) there were even reports of operators receiving electric shocks and sparks showering from telegraph machines, setting papers ablaze. In 1989, a CME accompanied a solar flare that hit Earth, plunging the entire province of Quebec, Canada, into an electrical blackout that lasted 12-hours, according to a NASA statement(opens in new tab). The event cost Quebec's utility company Hydro-Quebec at least $10 million in damages(opens in new tab).
Coronal mass ejections: What are they and how do they form?

Last edited:

Lol

Read the book "One Second After"
It is an eye opening experience reading it.
I remember hearing in a interview some time back and this person said if the grid went down, 30%-40% of the population would be dead in the first month depending on where you live. I thought that had to be crazy exaggerated.
Until I read this book.

One Second After (A John Matherson Novel, 1)​

I remember hearing in a interview some time back and this person said if the grid went down, 30%-40% of the population would be dead in the first month depending on where you live. I thought that had to be crazy exaggerated.
Until I read this book.

That's a fictional story ... and we give literary license allowing an ICBM to reach North Carolina undetected ... and why do you think 30-40% of the world's population live in North Carolina? ... or are you saying 30-40% of just North Carolina would die in the first month ... is that 30-40% of those that survive the blast? ...

How much energy does it take to bring all the overhead wires in the State of North Carolina to their melting points, and melting these wires ... ah, wait, you want the metal to be set afire (yes, metal burns) ... that's one fuck load of energy, all inside a tiny bomb designed to burn up nano-scale transitors? ... the difference is John Masterson is making money on this idea and you're not ...

=====

Again for those TOO STUPID to know ... we'll have a full day warning before a CME hits us ... that's longer than a second ...

Until I read this book.

According to my research, it would require a super large solar flare and CME to take out the country’s entire grid or most of it. If the earth’s magnetic field is weakening as experts claim, we become more exposed as it weakens. Of course if government and energy companies are really doing things to protect the grid, the damage might be minimized.

Without electricity for a several month period, millions dying seems likely.

That's a fictional story ... and we give literary license allowing an ICBM to reach North Carolina undetected ... and why do you think 30-40% of the world's population live in North Carolina? ... or are you saying 30-40% of just North Carolina would die in the first month ... is that 30-40% of those that survive the blast? ...

How much energy does it take to bring all the overhead wires in the State of North Carolina to their melting points, and melting these wires ... ah, wait, you want the metal to be set afire (yes, metal burns) ... that's one fuck load of energy, all inside a tiny bomb designed to burn up nano-scale transitors? ... the difference is John Masterson is making money on this idea and you're not ...

=====

Again for those TOO STUPID to know ... we'll have a full day warning before a CME hits us ... that's longer than a second ...
You like to ask dumb questions. Why?

You like to ask dumb questions. Why?

It exposes the liars ... they don't answer simple questions ... like what the link in the OP has to do with CMEs ... if the OP doesn't answer, then we catch him in a "lie of omission" ... and if that's the basis of his argument, then he is a liar ...

Any more questions? ...

It exposes the liars ... they don't answer simple questions ... like what the link in the OP has to do with CMEs ... if the OP doesn't answer, then we catch him in a "lie of omission" ... and if that's the basis of his argument, then he is a liar ...

Any more questions? ...
No it doesn’t. It makes you look foolish. No one believes 30-40% of the world's population lives in North Carolina.

Why are you so confrontational and disagreeable? Do you consider yourself an expert on solar conditions? It’s as if you’re being disagreeable just because you’re an asshole.

Experts believe a big one is coming and it could be devastating. I tend to believe them since there have been many in the past.
An Expert Is a Liar for Hire

Think of how important a wimpy academic social-misfit will become if he takes a public pose as a comic-book superhero out to save the world. If he doesn't come up with something scary, he will be stuck in his boring, empty, and cloistered Ivory Tower.

Strange Strong

The strong force that held the protons together is the real source of radiation. It can't just disappear in fission, so it must turn into something powerful and deadly. It has 10 to the 38th power times the force of gravitation.

=====

Still won't be able to defend against it.

=====

Again for those TOO STUPID to know ... we'll have a full day warning before a CME hits us ... that's longer than a second ..
Uh...yeah... it is a fictional book. I think everyone knows that. Except you apparently.
The rest of your gibberish makes little sense, and you seem to be reading my post and injecting all kinds of your own thoughts into it - and then wanting to blame me for you having those thoughts.

Childish Nerds Wallowing in Sensationalism

Stephen King has become the role model for Postmodern scientists.
Oh STFU...
It is a story based on an unlikely worst case scenario EMP attack on the U.S.
What made this book get discussed so much wasn't the reality or accuracy of the EMP attack. What caught people's attention was the extraordinary number of deaths that happened and the fact the author sourced those numbers.
It got people to talk... Gee.. would those kind of numbers of people really die if, for whatever reason, there was a large scale loss of power?
And the answer from all kinds of experts was - yes. They would preface that by saying the event itself (massive EMP attack) is very unlikely to succeed.. but if other events took place - namely - severe solar event... we would be very fucked. And it doesn't take a genius to think for more than 20 seconds as to why such high number of people would die.

Forum List

Back