It's one of our kitties' birthday today........

bluzman61

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2019
Valparaiso, Indiana USA
Our male, Henry, full name Oh! Henry, turned 10 years of age today. We know his exact birth date because his mother was brought into the shelter where he adopted him from when she was pregnant with him and his siblings. He was the last of his litter to be adopted, he was most likely the runt. We adopted him when he was just over 5 months old. I picked him because my mom noticed him alone in the cage, clamoring for attention. She also noticed the beautiful coloring of his coat. He's a tabby, with dark brown, black, and silver coloring, with what my mom called "brindle" markings. He was small when we adopted him, and he hasn't gotten a whole lot bigger, except around the middle. He really is a handsome cat. He's also extremely affectionate, and seems to have at least 7 or 8 different meows he vocalizes. He kind of howls like a dog when he's hungry for his daily dinner of wet food. He also will scratch at our front door, hoping to get outside. He's never been an outdoor cat, I think the outside just really intrigues him. We actually had to take him back to the shelter about 5 years ago because we were having problems with our landlord. It broke my heart to have to take him back. He was so confused. I struck a deal with the shelter, asking them if they could please hold him until we got our living arrangement worked out. I also donated about 100 dollars to the shelter during this time. So after a little over 4 months, during which time they held him for us, I went back and re-adopted him. I surprised my sister because I hadn't told her I was bringing him home that day. We were thinking maybe another month down the road. He was ecstatic to be back home, of course, and so were we. We both love the little guy dearly because he's brought so much joy and laughter to our household. He can be very silly at times. He pretends that he's NOT going to make it until dinner sometimes by lying on his back, with all four legs in the air, looking like he's a goner. He doesn't do this as much as he used to, but it still makes us crack up when he does. Our mom, who passed away in October of 2013, summed up our little Henry perfectly. She said about him, "He's such a nice little cat". And this he is.

Mmmmm ... cat.

Sweet-and-Sour-Chicken-Recipe-tasteandtellblog.com-1-new-600x900.jpg

He is trying to teach you to speak cat. Pay attention and you will soon understand everything he says. He already understands everything you say.

Our male, Henry, full name Oh! Henry, turned 10 years of age today. We know his exact birth date because his mother was brought into the shelter where he adopted him from when she was pregnant with him and his siblings. He was the last of his litter to be adopted, he was most likely the runt. We adopted him when he was just over 5 months old. I picked him because my mom noticed him alone in the cage, clamoring for attention. She also noticed the beautiful coloring of his coat. He's a tabby, with dark brown, black, and silver coloring, with what my mom called "brindle" markings. He was small when we adopted him, and he hasn't gotten a whole lot bigger, except around the middle. He really is a handsome cat. He's also extremely affectionate, and seems to have at least 7 or 8 different meows he vocalizes. He kind of howls like a dog when he's hungry for his daily dinner of wet food. He also will scratch at our front door, hoping to get outside. He's never been an outdoor cat, I think the outside just really intrigues him. We actually had to take him back to the shelter about 5 years ago because we were having problems with our landlord. It broke my heart to have to take him back. He was so confused. I struck a deal with the shelter, asking them if they could please hold him until we got our living arrangement worked out. I also donated about 100 dollars to the shelter during this time. So after a little over 4 months, during which time they held him for us, I went back and re-adopted him. I surprised my sister because I hadn't told her I was bringing him home that day. We were thinking maybe another month down the road. He was ecstatic to be back home, of course, and so were we. We both love the little guy dearly because he's brought so much joy and laughter to our household. He can be very silly at times. He pretends that he's NOT going to make it until dinner sometimes by lying on his back, with all four legs in the air, looking like he's a goner. He doesn't do this as much as he used to, but it still makes us crack up when he does. Our mom, who passed away in October of 2013, summed up our little Henry perfectly. She said about him, "He's such a nice little cat". And this he is.

Last year, we lost our cat who was 19 years old. My youngest was in kindergarten when we got her and now she is a 1LT in the Army. My wife dragged me to the animal shelter one day and this scrawny tomcat that resembled our recently departed kitty got my wife's attention. He was looking like he was on death's door and the shelter said they could not get him to eat.

After hearing nothing but how much she wanted to try to save that cat, I relented and she went and got him. The shelter waived the adoption fee and practically begged her to take him, fearing that he needed the attention they could not give.

Three months later, he had a nice smooth coat, was gaining weight, and fell in love with the family. He understands everything you tell him and he loves to snuggle with me when he sleeps. He gets long with the three dogs just fine, but cannot stand another cat. The little fellow was a gift from God after losing our kitty after so long.

Last year, we lost our cat who was 19 years old. My youngest was in kindergarten when we got her and now she is a 1LT in the Army. My wife dragged me to the animal shelter one day and this scrawny tomcat that resembled our recently departed kitty got my wife's attention. He was looking like he was on death's door and the shelter said they could not get him to eat.

After hearing nothing but how much she wanted to try to save that cat, I relented and she went and got him. The shelter waived the adoption fee and practically begged her to take him, fearing that he needed the attention they could not give.

Three months later, he had a nice smooth coat, was gaining weight, and fell in love with the family. He understands everything you tell him and he loves to snuggle with me when he sleeps. He gets long with the three dogs just fine, but cannot stand another cat. The little fellow was a gift from God after losing our kitty after so long.
Thanks for your reply, Admiral. Sorry to hear about you losing your previous cat of 19 years. That had to be really tough. But it's wonderful to hear you have another loving cat in your household now. I truly believe being able to have loving pets that you love in return is one of many ways that shows God loves us.

Happy birthday Henry.

Sux having to give him up that time but I remember on a split up ex wouldn't let me have my dog. Lived where I couldn't have one then she up and goes "take this dammed dog or I'm giving it to the first person comes along" Put the dog in a nice home couple weeks. Moved out, into the woods in a 16 foot stripped travel trailer. We were both happy.

Happy birthday Henry.

Sux having to give him up that time but I remember on a split up ex wouldn't let me have my dog. Lived where I couldn't have one then she up and goes "take this dammed dog or I'm giving it to the first person comes along" Put the dog in a nice home couple weeks. Moved out, into the woods in a 16 foot stripped travel trailer. We were both happy.
If he could, Henry would say thank you very much! He got a late night surprise last night, I gave him some tuna. Our female cat, Emily, got some, as well. The problem with giving Henry tuna, which I do only rarely, is he expects it for at least the next few nights. Emily, while she really likes tuna as well, couldn't care a less. Henry IS so much more food oriented, I believe it MAY be because he was the runt of his litter, and most likely the last to get to his mother's "food line", so to speak.

Last edited:
Oh I gave them tuna too.

Had a Blue heeler and I was feeding her different, mackerel was one thing. She loved it. One day outside, stinking of fish terrible! Told her "no more mackerel for you!" Then I see her go in the woods and roll. It was a part opened can of sardines someone threw out about a year earlier.

Forum List

Back