It's Happening Again - Homes Lost - Some Rent Control Needed

FALSE! And this is the first error that landlords and other high-horse landlords make. Whether renting or owning (and I've done both throughout my life) the domicile you live in is your HOME. Period.

Landlords often have the idea, that the houses, apartments, etc that they rent, are only their toys for them to play with. This warped notion is a big part of the problem.
Pieces of gold are not the # 1 element of human survival. Housing is (according to anthropologists)

Whether renting or owning (and I've done both throughout my life) the domicile you live in is your HOME. Period.

You're lying. Period.

Hard to tell a modern day liberal from a communist. They are globalists
(ie. INTERnationalists) same as any communist ever was. Their economic policies are about the same. Look at Biden. He has no country. He doesn't care about the USA, He's wrecking it. Then he goes overseas and plays pattycake with the Europeans. Kisses China and Mexico's asses

Hard to tell a modern day liberal from a communist.

But enough about you.

It's happening again. 2 years ago I and hundred of others in my apartment complex were forced out of our homes (apartments), when a new landlord bought the complex we were living in, and immediately raised our rents from $550/month to $900/month (for a 1 bedroom).

Now the complex I'm living in (which I came to, to escape from the previous one), has also been bought, and this new owner, like in the other complex, has also raised the rents very high. From $600/month to $850/mo.

There are certain things to take note of here. This is not a typical apartment complex. Although there is no age restriction, almost all the residents here are senior citizens, retired, and on LOW fixed incomes. Many do not own a car. Must are unable to move, and the housing market here (Tampa, FL) is such that there simply is no place to move to around here that is less than about $900/mo for 1 bdrm. Most residents are trapped here, and either cannot pay the new rent, or like myself, can just barely pay it, and still cover other necessities.

So one greed freak, ignoring the fact that the complex is much more than just HIS business, it is also the homes of hundreds of people, looks at this as nothing but a lucrative cash cow to manipulate, just for him.

So now we get to the real crux of all this. It comes down to what government is. Why it exists. It is here for the PROTECTION of the people. It is FOR the people. As much as l respect business ownership and private enterprise (I owned my own business for 12 years in the past), I recognize that business owners should not be be allowed to do ANYTHING. Rights of private property must have limits where the public would be excessively burdened to the point of some people becoming homeless.

As is the case with any business, owners cannot be allowed to do anything at all. Amusement park owners must comply with regulations that keep their roller coasters and other rides, safe. Builders must meet codes that restrict asbestos and other carcenogenic materials, and those that would allow buildings to collapse.

It should be noted that unlike musical instruments, fishing equipment, computers, and stuff that are not necessities, housing is among the group of things that people HAVE TO HAVE. That makes its position unique, relative to government Only food is as essential. And when there is no alternative, the public should be protected by business price gouging. Gasoline, food, housing, electricity, and other necessities do require SOME degree of regulation.

Let's hear what some people who are in this predicament have to say, not those who own homes and don't face danger of becoming homeless. THis is far more than just somebody's economic ideology, who has no personal housing worries. Th reason why this is in Health & Lifestyle is because the residents who are in serious peril, are the point of reference in this thread, not those involved in business investment.
How do you know that the owner's expenses haven't gone up?

Maybe the building needs repairs or the tax burden has changed ?

Maybe you should get together win a few other tenants and buy a multifamily home and then you could control your own expenses.

Suck it up. Be a man. Do the work.

Stop whining like a liberal.
Do WHAT 'work" ? Telling government to do its job of protecting the American people isn't whining. It is exercising the constitutional right to petition the government. It's called being a responsible citizen, when some citizens (landlords) are being IRresponsible.

Do WHAT 'work" ? Telling government to do its job of protecting the American people isn't whining. It is exercising the constitutional right to petition the government. It's called being a responsible citizen, when some citizens (landlords) are being IRresponsible.

The work of moving and or getting a roommate.
The work of moving and buying your own place.

Quit whining that the government needs to steal someone's property to give to you.

Private property is not a 100% right.

Not if you're the one benefitting from the theft, eh tovarisch?

If an interstate needs to be built, your private property is trash

In that case, the government should pay compensation.

If somebody decides to build a bowling alley next door to you,

Local noise regulations.

There's plenty of ways that private property can be disaffected.

Well, you do love theft.
7 posts from you in my alerts this morning. It would be a good guess that you are nit an unbiased, objective poster in this thread. Quite the contrary, YOU"RE a LANDLORD, aren't you ?

And you're sure as hell not a low income renter, whose being forced out of his home, with nowhere to move to. Which makes just about everything you say in thread, a pie of mush.

As for for your mushy posts >
1. As a LL, YOU are the one benefitting from the theft of astronomical rent increases.
2. Government should compensate for highway construction on your property - agreed.
3. Local noise regulations often don't cover loud noises. If they do that is govt regulation of business - like rent control. You're starting to get the idea. :biggrin:
4. YOU love theft > raising rents 50-100%.

7 posts from you in my alerts this morning. It would be a good guess that you are nit an unbiased, objective poster in this thread. Quite the contrary, YOU"RE a LANDLORD, aren't you ?

And you're sure as hell not a low income renter, whose being forced out of his home, with nowhere to move to. Which makes just about everything you say in thread, a pie of mush.

As for for your mushy posts >
1. As a LL, YOU are the one benefitting from the theft of astronomical rent increases.
2. Government should compensate for highway construction on your property - agreed.
3. Local noise regulations often don't cover loud noises. If they do that is govt regulation of business - like rent control. You're starting to get the idea. :biggrin:
4. YOU love theft > raising rents 50-100%.

Quite the contrary, YOU"RE a LANDLORD, aren't you ?

Fuck that.
I'd never want to deal with whiny tenants.
So many better, more liquid, less stressful investments.

And you're sure as hell not a low income renter,

Saving, investing, planning. I've done the things you should have done.

You’re not being forced out, you’re just being charged more.
FALSE! 2 years ago, 80% of the people in my previous apt complex moved (including me). I had been there 8 years. Some had been there over 20 years. You think they chose to move, and would have moved if the rent had not been increased 64% from 550/mo to 900 ? Of course they were forced out.

How do you know that the owner's expenses haven't gone up?

Maybe the building needs repairs or the tax burden has changed ?

Maybe you should get together win a few other tenants and buy a multifamily home and then you could control your own expenses.
Not when this is going on ALL OVER the Tampa Bay area, and all over the state. It is a result of overpopulation and housing saturation, that landlords are raising rents sky-high, for 2 reasons. Greed, and the lack of anything to stop them.

Wolves can't be expected to stop attacking sheep. But the ranchers should be expected to stop the wolves.

Last edited:
The work of moving and or getting a roommate.
The work of moving and buying your own place.

Quit whining that the government needs to steal someone's property to give to you.
I AM buying my own place. Never again will I be subject to the grabs of the greed freaks. But I shouldn't HAVE TO be doing that. It's happening because wimp and unscrupulous government is placing the whims of a small number of landlords, above the health of massive numbers of renters.

Quite the contrary, YOU"RE a LANDLORD, aren't you ?

Fuck that.
I'd never want to deal with whiny tenants.
So many better, more liquid, less stressful investments.

And you're sure as hell not a low income renter,

Saving, investing, planning. I've done the things you should have done.
FALSE! I AM a low income renter (but not for long) - I never want to deal with greedy landlords again.

I AM buying my own place. Never again will I be subject to the grabs of the greed freaks. But I shouldn't HAVE TO be doing that. It's happening because wimp and unscrupulous government is placing the whims of a small number of landlords, above the health of massive numbers of renters.

Thank God!!!

Your liberal whining is beyond tiresome.

Your error is imagining a place a tenant rents is their home. Silly.
It belongs to the landlord. A conservative would understand that.
FALSE! It is both belonging to the landlord AND belonging to the tenant.

Landlords are not alone in having some responsibility for the well-being of the PEOPLE whose lives they deal with. Business owners of drug companies have to be sure that their drugs are not harmful. They also sometimes violate that (ex. Viiox). Car companies need to make sure their cars are safe to be on the road. Building constructers have to keep their materials strong enough to prevent build collapse.

All these business owners have to be careful when they have a business that deals with people's lives. They choose to be in that type of business, then they undergo the work of keeping it consistent with the well-being of the people who use their product or service. They can't just go full-throttle, gung-ho unrestrained, however they feel like it, just because it makes more money for them.

Government officials who support anti-rent control laws should also consider the harm that is falling on non-real estate businesses, who suffer, as well as middle & low income renters. It's a much bigger issue than just landlords and renters.

The $350/mo more in rent that tenants pay, is $350/mo LOSS IN SALE$ for other businesses (multiplied by thousands). Time for those businesses to get off their asses, and say something.

It'd be a shame if the government tried to steal your place to give it to someone else.
1638460598506.png
......and stupid as well.

Forum List

Back