It can't happen here

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
"The novel that foreshadowed Donald Trump’s authoritarian appeal."—Salon

It Can’t Happen Here
is the only one of Sinclair Lewis’s later novels to match the power of Main Street, Babbitt, and Arrowsmith. A cautionary tale about the fragility of democracy, it is an alarming, eerily timeless look at how fascism could take hold in America. Written during the Great Depression, when the country was largely oblivious to Hitler’s aggression, it juxtaposes sharp political satire with the chillingly realistic rise of a president who becomes a dictator to save the nation from welfare cheats, sex, crime, and a liberal press. Called “a message to thinking Americans” by the Springfield Republican when it was published in 1935, It Can’t Happen Here is a shockingly prescient novel that remains as fresh and contemporary as today’s news.

https://www.amazon.com/Cant-Happen-Here-Signet-Classics/dp/0451465644&tag=ff0d01-20

I read this and William Shirer's 'Rise and Fall of the Third Reich' when I was a teenager. And had nightmares for weeks afterwards. Now I am seeing those nightmares become a reality. With the appointment of the Nazi Bannon to chief advisor, Trump has shown the course he intends to take. Batten down the hatches, boys, a storm is brewing.

• Thanks
Reactions: xyz
"The novel that foreshadowed Donald Trump’s authoritarian appeal."—Salon

It Can’t Happen Here
is the only one of Sinclair Lewis’s later novels to match the power of Main Street, Babbitt, and Arrowsmith. A cautionary tale about the fragility of democracy, it is an alarming, eerily timeless look at how fascism could take hold in America. Written during the Great Depression, when the country was largely oblivious to Hitler’s aggression, it juxtaposes sharp political satire with the chillingly realistic rise of a president who becomes a dictator to save the nation from welfare cheats, sex, crime, and a liberal press. Called “a message to thinking Americans” by the Springfield Republican when it was published in 1935, It Can’t Happen Here is a shockingly prescient novel that remains as fresh and contemporary as today’s news.

https://www.amazon.com/Cant-Happen-Here-Signet-Classics/dp/0451465644&tag=ff0d01-20

I read this and William Shirer's 'Rise and Fall of the Third Reich' when I was a teenager. And had nightmares for weeks afterwards. Now I am seeing those nightmares become a reality. With the appointment of the Nazi Bannon to chief advisor, Trump has shown the course he intends to take. Batten down the hatches, boys, a storm is brewing.
I just re read the book last month , amazing, its just like what is going on now

Oh you mean the blue collar forgotten Americans shouldn't have voted for Trump??

But they did vote for Trump and he's the next POTUS.

13533229_10209047616843540_1795172899028295608_n.jpg

I read this and William Shirer's 'Rise and Fall of the Third Reich' when I was a teenager. And had nightmares for weeks afterwards.

What happened? Misplaced the keys to your safe space?

You know you've got deep emotional issues when you can't handle reading a history book.

It's too bad more people didn't read that book. We are probably going to end up reliving it.

I read this and William Shirer's 'Rise and Fall of the Third Reich' when I was a teenager. And had nightmares for weeks afterwards.

You know you've got deep emotional issues when you can't handle reading a history book.

It's too bad more people didn't read that book. We are probably going to end up reliving it.
We don't read your mein kampf either......

I'm sure the prospect of that makes gub'mint worshippers like yourself just giddy, after all you seem to like having politicians and bureaucrats dictate your and everybody Else's lives.:cool:

I'm sure the prospect of that makes gub'mint worshippers like yourself just giddy, after all you seem to like having politicians and bureaucrats dictate your and everybody Else's lives.

Guy, you need to go back to the Libertarian Kiddy Table and talk about your Ayn Rand. The grownups are talking here.
LOL, the needle on the JoeB turn table is skipping again...... someone please fix that record.

Of course, one wouldn't expect any sort of wit or originality from someone that took his IQ test twelve times and failed every one of 'em. Congratulations on hitting par again Joe. :rolleyes:

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." -- George Carlin

LOL, the needle on the JoeB turn table is skipping again...... someone please fix that record.

Of course, one wouldn't expect any sort of wit or originality from someone that took his IQ test twelve times and failed every one of 'em. Congratulations on hitting par again Joe

Yawn, Libertarians.... you guys take yourselves sooo seriously....because no one else does.

Of course, one wouldn't expect any sort of wit or originality from someone that took his IQ test twelve times and failed every one of 'em. Congratulations on hitting par again Joe

Yawn, Libertarians.... you guys take yourselves sooo seriously....because no one else does.
12autd.jpg

Barak Obama immediately declared upon taking office that he would not be constrained by his oath of office, which he did not mean, by the Constitution of the United States, or by the Rule of law. He did so by declaring to the nation that he REFUSED to enforce any law he did not agree with. The law he was specifically talking about at that moment was the DOMA. Since then his list has grown quite long:

DOMA, US Immigration Law, Law Prohibiting Illegals from Voting in US Elections, Having to Have Congress Ratify Any Treaty,
Requiring Congressional approval to take the country to war
Criminal Law - Perjury/Security Violations/ Hatch Act, etc (Only when a liberal does it), Obstruction of Justice, Illegal Arms Dealing, Aiding and Abetting Terrorists, and on and on and on...

Despite his vows of 'the smoothest transition ever'
Despite his vows of 'the most transparent ever'
Despite his repeated vows like
- Every ACA meeting will be held on TV
- Americans will have 48hrs to read any bill before it is voted on
- It won't cost a dime
- It will Pay for itself
- If you like your doc/plan you can keep them
- This was not MY 'Red Line' - it was the World's
So very much of it has been nothing but LIES!

Barak Obama assumed the role of a Despot, ruling as he has seen fit, un-constrained by Constitution or Rule of Law. He has ruled by executive fiat, by Executive Orders, by by-passing Congress, through Czars given the Un-Constitutional authority to by-pass Congress to create and effect law. The other day it was reported he set a new US Record for the number of regulations he signed into existence in 1 day.

This has not been a government of the people, by the people, for the people - it has been a government of Obama, by Obama, and for Obama...and it has all been imposed, like the ACA, on the majority of Americans who have opposed it. Before Liberals deny this they should remember that throughout his Presidency the majority of Americans have stated they feel the country was heading in the wrong direction, that when he declared the 2014 elections were all about HIM - his policies, his agenda, his Presidency Liberals received an historic record-setting ass-kicking, and once again after he made the same declaration before this election about the 1016 Presidential election the Democrats again suffered an historic record-setting defeat.

Coincidence? :p NOT!

America has had it's fill of millionaire, elitist, globalist, corrupt, career, self-promoting, self-enriching, Washington Insider Party/'Me'-1st 'dictator-wannabe Politicians who keep the nation divided and fighting each other so they can continue to fleece and sell-off the country.

Obama's vision for America was soundly rejected in 2014. His vision for America - and Hillary Clinton - were soundly REJECTED...AGAIN...in this election.

If their reaction from 2014 remains the same after this loss, as I expect it will, they will double-down on their efforts to FORCE American what they have to offer - what they have tried to impose on America repeatedly - rather than take a good look at themselves and actually LISTEN to what people / Americans want. They didn't learn from 2014, which is why they lost in 2016.

Now the butthurt radical left wing, funded by Soros and Hillary and supported / encouraged by Barry, are out burning flags, calling for the racist murders of whites, calling for the overthrow of the govt, and calling for the assassination of the newly elected President. What does our President do when called upon to speak out and call for an end to these seditious subversive racist terrorist acts? He ENCOURAGES them to continue - 'March on!'

WORST PRESIDENT IN US HISTORY!'

Thanks Joe, I always get a laugh out of the fact that you think calling me a libertarian somehow insults me, I realize that you're too vapid to actually understand anything about libertarianism but the fact that you can't even figure out that calling someone what they self identify as doesn't exactly qualify as witty flame material. :lmao:

"Stupid is as stupid does" -- Forrest Gump

New Topics

Forum List

Back