It begins: White man throws black family out of segregated restaurant in NYC

I think you posted percentages. Another way to put it is like this. 10 Democrat states had all their senators vote against the Civil rights act and not any republican state did.
Which shows Democrats and Republicans in the north voted alike, as did Democrats and Republicans in the Confederate states.

Again, it wasn’t a Democrat/Republican spilt. It was a regional split.

Which shows Democrats and Republicans in the north voted alike, as did Democrats and Republicans in the Confederate states.

Only if you ignore the fact that the democrats controlled the south.

Republican's majority vote in favor of the civil rights act passed that legislation overcoming the democrats opposition.

Yes the south in 1964 was Democrat country.

Last edited:
Only if you ignore the fact that the democrats controlled the south.

Republican's majority vote in favor of the civil rights act passed that legislation overcoming the democrats opposition.

Yes the south in 1964 was Democrat country.
Mostly Democrat. But even the few Republicans there still sided with with their Democrat counterparts. Just like the Democrats and Republicans in the north. Proving it wasn't Democrat/Republican thing, it was a regional thing.

Mostly Democrat. But even the few Republicans there still sided with with their Democrat counterparts. Just like the Democrats and Republicans in the north. Proving it wasn't Democrat/Republican thing, it was a regional thing.
I can understand the democrats not wanting to be alone on this one but the fact is, the democrats had to be drug across the fence. Republicans passed the bill. You can clung to your opinion all you like but the majority in the south was democrats, sure there were a couple Republicans but that was it. Democrats owned the south.

Without the Republicans the democrats would of denied Civil rights to African Americans.

I can understand the democrats not wanting to be alone on this one but the fact is, the democrats had to be drug across the fence. Republicans passed the bill. You can clung to your opinion all you like but the majority in the south was democrats, sure there were a couple Republicans but that was it. Democrats owned the south.

Without the Republicans the democrats would of denied Civil rights to African Americans.
That doesn't counter anything I said. The vote was still separated by region.

Forum List

Back