Issues on which I disagree with the right

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
This can be the start of debate, or just a bit of disclaimer for me.

I'm libertarian. As I predicted in the introductions thread, I seem to be disagreeing with progressives/leftists on here and thus may appear to some of you to be right-wing. So, here's where I'm not right-wing:

Pretty much any right-wing belief that opposes liberty or equality of opportunity, or that favors government involvement in areas in which the government should butt out.

So - even though I wish there were far fewer abortions, or even no abortions - I don't favor banning them.

I don't favor prayers in public schools, because I think the 1A does not allow government officials to establish a religion in a tax-funded institution.

As a libertarian, I'd like to see government get out of the business of licensing marriage, but if they do license marriage, it should be available to all sexes, all perceived genders and in any number - barring under-age marriage. Libertarianism is for adults.

I don't favor the war on drugs.

I don't favor the wars in the middle-east.

I don't favor going to war to protect Taiwan.

The MIC has been wagging the dog far to long, IMHO.

I'm libertarian. As I predicted in the introductions thread, I seem to be disagreeing with progressives/leftists on here and thus may appear to some of you to be right-wing. So, here's where I'm not right-wing:

Pretty much any right-wing belief that opposes liberty or equality of opportunity, or that favors government involvement in areas in which the government should butt out.

So - even though I wish there were far fewer abortions, or even no abortions - I don't favor banning them.

I don't favor prayers in public schools, because I think the 1A does not allow government officials to establish a religion in a tax-funded institution.

As a libertarian, I'd like to see government get out of the business of licensing marriage, but if they do license marriage, it should be available to all sexes, all perceived genders and in any number - barring under-age marriage. Libertarianism is for adults.

Libertarian, eh? In this country the Libertarian Party has only received 2 electoral college votes in presidential elections. Both were from faithless electors.
Have you ever thought about that?

Libertarian, eh? In this country the Libertarian Party has only received 2 electoral college votes in presidential elections. Both were from faithless electors.
Have you ever thought about that?
Often.

Yes, I fully realize that it is a lost cause. Especially in light of the swing to authoritarianism that the country has taken in the last two years.

But my beliefs don't change based on popular sentiment.

I don't even know if the libertarian party has a color and I certainly didn't become libertarian because porcupines are cuter than elephants or donkeys.

libertarians shouldn't believe in public education at all.

Your view of foreign policy is also clearly flawed. Although the middle east isn't important hemming in China certainly is

Next, you're going to tell us "I believe in everything, but I don't practice anything".

Wikipedia states:

Libertarianism (from French: libertaire, "libertarian"; from Latin: libertas, "freedom") is a political philosophy that upholds liberty as a core principle. Libertarians seek to maximize autonomy and political freedom, emphasizing free association, freedom of choice, individualism and voluntary association.

Liberty involves a lot of laws, rules, and policing. Otherwise you do not have liberty, you have anarchy.

0SdkiSH.jpg

Last edited:
Often.

Yes, I fully realize that it is a lost cause. Especially in light of the swing to authoritarianism that the country has taken in the last two years.

But my beliefs don't change based on popular sentiment.

I don't even know if the libertarian party has a color and I certainly didn't become libertarian because porcupines are cuter than elephants or donkeys.
This country cannot run by itself.

libertarians shouldn't believe in public education at all.
True.

I have to express many beliefs about current events in the form of "given that we have . . . "

Just like "Given that we have state-issued marriage licenses, their should be no discrimination as to which adults get them."

Chiming into the same-sex marriage debate by saying, "government should just stop issuing marriage licenses," would go over well on a libertarian forum, but would confuse most twoparty followers.

Next, you're going to tell us "I believe in everything, but I don't practice anything".
Disagree.

I "practice libertarianism," by not advocating people's freedom be reduced, AND by avoiding attitudes which might lead to freedom being reduced. In other words, I try not to be judgmental about people doing things that I do not like but would not ban. Because a judgmental attitude towards something is often the first step in legal restrictions.

It's not just unselfishness that drives that reasoning. For example, I play poker as a hobby business. I believe that poker is a game in which intelligent people can win, while games like blackjack, roulette, craps are basically legalized fraud and state-run lottos are a tax on people incredibly bad at math. But I rarely say so, because it could give ammo to people who want to ban gambling, which poker legally is.
Wikipedia states:

Libertarianism (from French: libertaire, "libertarian"; from Latin: libertas, "freedom") is a political philosophy that upholds liberty as a core principle. Libertarians seek to maximize autonomy and political freedom, emphasizing free association, freedom of choice, individualism and voluntary association.

Liberty involves a lot of laws, rules, and policing. Otherwise you do not have liberty, you have anarchy.
Agreed.

As a libertarian, I'd like to see government get out of the business of licensing marriage, but if they do license marriage, it should be available to all sexes, all perceived genders and in any number - barring under-age marriage. Libertarianism is for adults
Again, talking out both sides of your mouth

I encourage leftists to get abortions, even retroactively into the 196th trimester. Abortion is a vile, abhorrent and barbaric practice, but leftist DNA is a biohazard.

CONGRESS SHALL MAKE NO LAW, this does not mean that individual states or communities cannot establish certain religions or regulate speech, protests, the press and freedom to assemble. This differs from the 2nd Amendment that blankets all of the citizens of the republic with a right no entity is allowed to infringe upon.

On this issue I have no fucks to give either way. I just think fags are disgusting, but if I was a woman I'd be a dyke.

I don't favor the war on drugs. Ditto

I don't favor the wars in the middle-east. Ditto, but I was in OIF and OEF. I think we did the people of Iraq a favor, and the mooselimb jihadists fucked around and found out in Afghanistan.

I don't favor going to war to protect Taiwan. I support defending Taiwan simply because the chi-coms are our enemy and we have been sworn to defend them for decades. Killing commies is a noble endeavor.

The MIC has been wagging the dog far to long, IMHO. Who are the MICs? The Irish?

What does that mean? Give an example
For example, banning flag-burning.

Any law that bans burning a flag in a situation in which burning a blank piece of cloth would be legal, is a violation of rights.

The mere fact of being able to burn a U.S. flag without being arrested is part of what makes us a free country.

Wikipedia states:

0SdkiSH.jpg
Exactly, talking out both sides of his mouth

Any law that bans burning a flag in a situation in which burning a blank piece of cloth would be legal, is a violation of rights.

The mere fact of being able to burn a U.S. flag without being arrested is part of what makes us a free country.
While you might see the word frequently enough, you won't find many libertarians on this board.

True.

I have to express many beliefs about current events in the form of "given that we have . . . "

Just like "Given that we have state-issued marriage licenses, their should be no discrimination as to which adults get them."

Chiming into the same-sex marriage debate by saying, "government should just stop issuing marriage licenses," would go over well on a libertarian forum, but would confuse most twoparty followers.

Yea i get it, you want it both ways

You're not a real believer in the NAP

A real libertarian shouldn't care about child marriage or public education. lol

Only rational uses of government are in service of the NAP. You want the claim of intellectual integrity when you have no more than anyone else.

Name a conservative that disagrees with that?

CONGRESS SHALL MAKE NO LAW, this does not mean that individual states or communities cannot establish certain religions or regulate speech, protests, the press and freedom to assemble. This differs from the 2nd Amendment that blankets all of the citizens of the republic with a right no entity is allowed to infringe upon.
I believe that there have been cases in which the 1A was ruled to apply to individual states establishing a religion.

Either way, as long as I pay taxes to support public schools, I have a right to send my children there without their being indoctrinated into the local or state religion.
I don't favor going to war to protect Taiwan. I support defending Taiwan simply because the chi-coms are our enemy and we have been sworn to defend them for decades. Killing commies is a noble endeavor.

The MIC has been wagging the dog far to long, IMHO. Who are the MICs? The Irish?
Sorry. MIC=Military Industrial Compex.

Let the Asian nations, and Australia take care of that.

Forum List

Back