ISS object "the red thing"

Overtime Paycheck

May 6, 2020
I was watching the ISS camera as it entered the terminator zone at 1:47am-1:50am EST. The red thing appeared and I screen shotted it for 100 pictures or so. Here's a collage of 8 pictures of it when it appeared out of nothing and as the dark side of the earth rolled around. 1 full photo (5/8) for wide observation.

What is this thing? How big is it? Miles and miles wide?

20200507_021517.jpg
20200507_021428.jpg
20200507_020500.jpg

I was watching the ISS camera as it entered the terminator zone at 1:47am-1:50am EST. The red thing appeared and I screen shotted it for 100 pictures or so. Here's a collage of 8 pictures of it when it appeared out of nothing and as the dark side of the earth rolled around. 1 full photo (5/8) for wide observation.

View attachment 333035View attachment 333036View attachment 333037
That could be anything, from a glint of grazing incident light hitting the camera from an oblique angle, to some light source on the ground, like a red sprite or other light souce from a storm, etc.

That could be anything, from a glint of grazing incident light hitting the camera from an oblique angle, to some light source on the ground, like a red sprite or other light souce from a storm, etc.
Whatever it is it moves at precisely the same speed as the ISS.

I was thinking that maybe it was a chip in the glass that houses the camera, but then again is there is enough air up there to make a chip burn? Is that possible? If it were friction from particles then you should see it 24/7 but that isn't the case.

Watching the red thing into the dark side of the earth you can clearly see that it gives off its own light and randomly fluctuates between bright and dim.

Last edited:

Whatever it is it moves at precisely the same speed as the ISS.

I was thinking that maybe it was a chip in the glass that houses the camera, but then again is there is enough air up there to make a chip burn? Is that possible? If it were friction from particles then you should see it 24/7 but that isn't the case.

Watching the red thing into the dark side of the earth you can clearly see that it gives off its own light and randomly fluctuates between bright and dim.
If it moves with the ISS, you can bet that it is a reflection of some kind.

Might be methane gas in Oklahoma!

Forum List

Back