Israeli ministers approve new restrictions on dovish groups

pbel

Gold Member
Feb 26, 2012
The Israeli so-called Zionist Democracy is now attacking its own citizens for daring to promote peace...Israel is beginning to implode from within.

JERUSALEM (AP) — Israeli Cabinet ministers on Sunday gave a preliminary approval for a bill that imposes restrictions on nonprofit groups that receive foreign funding, drawing accusations it is meant to crack down on government critics.

Related Stories
  1. Dovish Israeli groups say they face harsh crackdown Associated Press
  2. Israel ministers endorse bill to spotlight foreign-funded NGOs AFP
  3. Israeli government targets foreign government funding of NGOs Reuters
  4. Israel minister bars critical veterans group from schools AFP
  5. Israel's vice premier resigns amid harassment allegations Reuters
  6. Give The Gift Of College Fidelity Investments Sponsored
    Thank you for your feedback
    We'll review and make changes needed.Undo
    Why don't you like this ad ?
    • It's offensive to me
    • I keep seeing this
    • It's not relevant to me
    • Something else
    Undo
    I don't like this ad
The bill, proposed by Justice Minister Ayelet Shaked and approved by a committee of ministers, would affect organizations that receive more than half their funding from a foreign government.

Critics said the legislation is meant to stifle dovish organizations critical of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government policies toward the Palestinians, since such non-government groups tend to rely heavily on donations from European countries.

In contrast, pro-government and nationalistic nonprofit groups tend to rely on wealthy private donors, who are exempt from the measures under the proposed bill. The legislature is expected to approve the bill as early as this week.

Opposition leader Isaac Herzog quickly blasted the bill as a "muzzling law" that would bring about "thought police."

The bill requires affected organizations to declare their sources of funding on every report and in parliamentary discussions. Their activists also will be required to wear special tags when working in Israel's parliament.

View gallery

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu listens during the weekly cabinet meeting in Jerusalem , S …
Proponents of the bill say that foreign governments have standard diplomatic channels at their disposal through which they can push their agendas, and that funding nonprofit groups amounts to meddling in Israeli affairs.

"I expect the European Union to respect the democratic decisions of Israel," said Shaked, the justice minister.

Dovish nonprofit groups said they are being unfairly singled out and noted that hard-line groups that support Jewish settlers in the West Bank and east Jerusalem are exempt from the measures.

"If you mark us in a way you do not mark any other group, our voice becomes less legitimate," said Avihai Stollar, a spokesman for Breaking the Silence, a group of former Israeli combat soldiers who criticize Israeli policies in the occupied West Bank.

"Instead of dealing with the violence of the radical right, they are putting up a smoke screen by picking on human rights groups in Israel," he added.

Agreed Lipush

GOOD

giphy.gif

I think we should do the same here in the USA. We already have more than enough corporate influence in our politics let alone foreign influences.

The Israeli so-called Zionist Democracy is now attacking its own citizens for daring to promote peace...Israel is beginning to implode from within.

JERUSALEM (AP) — Israeli Cabinet ministers on Sunday gave a preliminary approval for a bill that imposes restrictions on nonprofit groups that receive foreign funding, drawing accusations it is meant to crack down on government critics.

Related Stories
    • It's offensive to me
    • I keep seeing this
    • Something else
    Undo
    I don't like this ad
The bill, proposed by Justice Minister Ayelet Shaked and approved by a committee of ministers, would affect organizations that receive more than half their funding from a foreign government.

Critics said the legislation is meant to stifle dovish organizations critical of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government policies toward the Palestinians, since such non-government groups tend to rely heavily on donations from European countries.

In contrast, pro-government and nationalistic nonprofit groups tend to rely on wealthy private donors, who are exempt from the measures under the proposed bill. The legislature is expected to approve the bill as early as this week.

Opposition leader Isaac Herzog quickly blasted the bill as a "muzzling law" that would bring about "thought police."

The bill requires affected organizations to declare their sources of funding on every report and in parliamentary discussions. Their activists also will be required to wear special tags when working in Israel's parliament.

View gallery

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu listens during the weekly cabinet meeting in Jerusalem , S …
Proponents of the bill say that foreign governments have standard diplomatic channels at their disposal through which they can push their agendas, and that funding nonprofit groups amounts to meddling in Israeli affairs.

"I expect the European Union to respect the democratic decisions of Israel," said Shaked, the justice minister.

Dovish nonprofit groups said they are being unfairly singled out and noted that hard-line groups that support Jewish settlers in the West Bank and east Jerusalem are exempt from the measures.

"If you mark us in a way you do not mark any other group, our voice becomes less legitimate," said Avihai Stollar, a spokesman for Breaking the Silence, a group of former Israeli combat soldiers who criticize Israeli policies in the occupied West Bank.

"Instead of dealing with the violence of the radical right, they are putting up a smoke screen by picking on human rights groups in Israel," he added.

Wonderful news. It's about time.

Related Stories
    • It's offensive to me
    • I keep seeing this
    • Something else
    Undo
    I don't like this ad

View gallery

Wonderful news. It's about time.

And false in the extreme.

Israeli politics have always been contentious, small wonder one group is accusing the other, happens all the time.

Nothing to see here

Move along

activists also will be required to wear special tags

Ah that fascist state, with a short memory, starting to show it's true colours again....

I don't see it as a problem with organisations having to declare their donations and where they come from... It appears that this is already a requirement within Israel...

Expecting the EU to respect the "democratic decisions" of Israel is funny... Europe hates fascists remember, especially when they pretend to be 'democratic'!

The government of Israel has always taken pains to disparage Arabs and attribute to them the genocidal designs of the Nazis, history’s most infamous mad men. This character assassination has kept world Jewry fearful of another holocaust and acquiescent when it comes to Israeli actions executed in the name of security, no matter how inhumane these actions are, and no matter how ultimately self-destructive and insecure they make Jews.

Perpetuating distrust and conflict: Israel’s use of character assassination

I think its a great idea to have foreign influences out in the open. Particularly when it comes to politics. I damn straight wish they'd do that here. I'd be all for seeing politicians forced to wear jackets covered in their major contributors logos, and have those logos sized proportionally with the % of total contributions made. And I'd have even more fun with it by making the average private donation be the dimensional standard at say 4 square inches. It'd be a real gas to see just how much fabric was left on some of these jackets.

In any case Israel is doing just fine and the move is meant to make note of which of these pacifists is being funded by interests violently apposed to the state of Israel.

My bet is the result will be so embarrassing that much of that foreign funding will drop out of the picture. Exactly as intended

Article makes a good point here:

Article makes a good point here:

I'm not so sure thats true.

From what I understand its any group that receives more than 50% of its funding from foreign sources. There is no provision excluding individual groups.

Feel free to show us all the exact wording of the proposal

"the bill targets only so-called pro-peace groups and that pro-nationalistic nonprofits are exempt."

Anti-Israeli NGOs Will be Forced to Reveal Sources of Funding - Israel News

Liar liar
Pants on fire

The bill targets NGOs
All NGOs who get more than 50% of their money from foreign sources

ACCORDING TO YOUR OWN REFERENCE
Any NGO that is mostly funded by foreign governments would be required to say so in all publications and public reports, in any contact in writing, and at meetings with public officials and employees. The NGO’s representatives would have to wear name tags stating the name of their organization when they are at the Knesset, as lobbyists must.
Read more at Anti-Israeli NGOs Will be Forced to Reveal Sources of Funding - Israel News
End Quote

Exactly as I said earlier

Myth Busted ;--)

Its not hard to see that the adversaries of peace will even resort to outright lies in order to forward their hatred of the Israeli people

Its not hard to see that the adversaries of peace will even resort to outright lies in order to forward their hatred of the Israeli people
Can you point out the lies with links that you speak about?

Can you point out the lies with links that you speak about?

I already have in multiple posts. I'm sorry but you are just going to have to try and keep up a little better, rather than expect everyone to repeat themselves.

I'd suggest going back and reading the last few dozen posts

Last edited:
"the bill targets only so-called pro-peace groups and that pro-nationalistic nonprofits are exempt."

Anti-Israeli NGOs Will be Forced to Reveal Sources of Funding - Israel News

Liar liar
Pants on fire

The bill targets NGOs

Any NGO that is mostly funded by foreign governments would be required to say so in all publications and public reports, in any contact in writing, and at meetings with public officials and employees. The NGO’s representatives would have to wear name tags stating the name of their organization when they are at the Knesset, as lobbyists must.
Read more at Anti-Israeli NGOs Will be Forced to Reveal Sources of Funding - Israel News
End Quote

Myth Busted ;--)

You busted nothing, the old declare victory and leave technique is just childish. You have become the propaganda mongering champion though. You have run through nearly all the Hasbara propaganda (lies) available.

The coup de grace.

"Blau found that American donations fund everything from air conditioning for settlers to payments to the families of convicted Jewish terrorists. Among the recipients of tax-exempt American donations is Honenu, a right-wing legal aid group that has provided stipends to Yigal Amir, Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin’s assassin. The yeshiva whose rabbis wrote the “The King’s Torah,” a book purporting to demonstrate when it is legitimate to kill non-Jews, also benefits from tax-deductible contributions from the United States.

Yet the proposed legislation would exclude these organizations and their funders. Only money from “foreign political entities” are targeted, a formulation designed to ensnare Israel’s human rights community, which receives significant funding from European governments motivated by shared values and an interest in protecting the millions of Palestinians living under military rule."

Read more: Proposed Israeli NGO Law Is Hypocritical Attack on Left

Lets review then Montie

You said
End Quote

And I proved you wrong with your own link

Liar liar
Pants on fire

The bill targets NGOs

End Quote

Myth Busted ;--)
End Quote

Forum List

Back