Israeli Airstike Kills Hamas Founder

nothing like a little over-reaction to both sides to keep the violence going.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/407399.html

Hamas: Sharon has opened the gates of hell

By Arnon Regular, Haaretz Correspondent, News Agencies and Haaretz Service

Hamas leaders vowed Monday to "cut off" the head of Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, after their spiritual leader Sheikh Ahmed Yassin was killed in a missile strike by Israeli helicopter gunships in Gaza City.

"Sharon has opened the gates of hell and nothing will stop us from cutting off his head," leaders of the radical Islamic group vowed.

"Words cannot describe the emotion of anger and hate inside our hearts," said Hamas official Ismail Haniyeh, a close associate of Yassin in Gaza. He said that "the enemy should expect a response that will turn the ground under his feet to hell ... All of Palestine will turn into a volcano that will burn up the enemies."

Top Hamas official Abdel Aziz Rantisi said "Yassin is a man in a nation, and a nation in a man. And the retaliation of this nation, will be of the size of this man. You will see deeds not words." Rantisi himself was wounded in an Israeli airstrike in June 2003, when a helicopter launched missiles at his car.

The group vowed that Islamic groups around the world will join together to retaliate for the assassination and implied that the United States could be a target.

"The Zionists didn't carry out their operation without getting the consent of the terrorist American Administration, and it must take responsibility for this crime," Hamas said in a statement faxed to The Associated Press. "All the Muslims of the world will be honored to join in on the retaliation for this crime," the statement said.

The threat against the United States would represent a change of tactics for the militant group, which has always said its fight was with Israel and not with the United States.

Tens of thousands of Palestinians, many in tears, poured into the streets of Gaza City immediately after the strike. Gunmen fired into the air and militants threw dozens of pipe-bombs to express their outrage. The Palestinian Authority declared three days of mourning.

The Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigade, a militant group connected to PA Chairman Yasser Arafat's Fatah faction, declared war on Israelis in response to the assassination. "War, war, war on the sons of Zion. An eye for an eye. There will be a response within hours, God willing," the group said in a statement.

The armed wing of Fatah said in a statement that "he who signed the order to assassinate Yassin has effectively signed the death warrant of hundreds of Israelis." It said that all Zionists, both in Israel and abroad, is now an assassination target for the organization.

PA officials condemned the attack. "This is a crazy and very dangerous act. It opens the door wide to chaos. Yassin is known for his moderation and he was controlling Hamas and therefore this is a dangerous, cowardly act," said Prime Minister Ahmed Qureia.

"Assassinations, incursions, walls, will not produce peace and security, on the contrary, it will just add fuel to the fire," said Cabinet Minister Saeb Erekat.

Sufyan Abu Zaydeh, a Palestinian Authority official, said the killing of Yassin was reminiscent of Israel's assassination of Hamas bombmaker Yehiye Ayash in Gaza in January 1996. Hamas responded to the killing of Ayash, nicknamed "The Engineer" by Israel, with a series of deadly suicide bombings inside Israel that killed close to sixty people in the space of 10 days. Yassin's killing, Abu Zaydeh said, would spark "a harsh wave of attacks."

While I am usually a strong supporter of Israel, I feel President Bush should STRONGLY condemn Israel for this latest action. I know they have to defend themselves, but there was no reason to kill Gandalf from Lord of the Rings. Damn, sure am glad they filmed all three parts at the same time!

just when you think progress is being made Sharon pulls this stunt. I would have to say that the gloves are now off, Eygpt is taking a stance on this as a blow against Islam. Oh shit!!!

I'm all for it. Hamas is just as bad a terrorist organization as al Qaeda. Taking this guy out is no different than taking out OBL or Saddam. Hats off to the Israelis for offing another worthless terrorist.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
I'm all for it. Hamas is just as bad a terrorist organization as al Qaeda. Taking this guy out is no different than taking out OBL or Saddam. Hats off to the Israelis for offing another worthless terrorist.
im thinking i have to agree Jeff. a terrorist is a terrorist. doesnt matter if hes in a wheelchair or not.
all i can say about the after affects... bring them on. im sure whatever they do weve had worse!

Well, I have no sympathy for those who are going to take the terrorist's side in this war. If Egypt wants to face off with Israel over this, Egypt is going to get a swift kick in the nuts from the Israelis.

ragheaded bastards would pull their collective heads out of their collective asses and get some fresh aire, maybe they would see that the world aint out for them. If you act like a terrorist you is one. and if you are one dont be surprised when you are blown to
your paridise. know to the western world as Hell

wouldnt be surprised if all of the Islamic countrys tried to come down on the Israelli's...seeing as how we are drawn pretty thin, but we are over in the nieghborhood.

i still feel we need to round up all our troops and bring them home no matter what the assignment is. close the damn borders. im sure the res tof the world could survive without us. or kill each other in the process anyway. either way i wouldnt cry too much

we did stir upthe hornets, cant come home till its quiet[er] then it is now. werent for thew USA the terrorist would have free riegn on the world. least they are not screwing shit up on our shores.

Originally posted by jon_forward
we did stir upthe hornets, cant come home till its quiet[er] then it is now. werent for thew USA the terrorist would have free riegn on the world. least they are not screwing shit up on our shores.
other than terrorist i dont think anyone has the stones to try to bring it over here. i think i read something one time about china not wanting to come over here to start anything for one reason; freedom to keep and bear arms. everybody and their brother has guns now days. if that alone is a deterant to other countries, so much the better. ill buy more

what makes you say that? I dont believe we have left Israel outin the cold, just taking a little stand-off approach to this new development. those that are against Israel have been from day one, they arejust now coming out of the closet.

Originally posted by William Joyce
At this point, those who support Israel are enemies of the United States.

Right and anyone supporting terrorism is on our side. haha. good one.

Originally posted by SPIKESMYGOD
While I am usually a strong supporter of Israel, I feel President Bush should STRONGLY condemn Israel for this latest action. I know they have to defend themselves, but there was no reason to kill Gandalf from Lord of the Rings. Damn, sure am glad they filmed all three parts at the same time!

mm, he looks like gandalf. But would gandalf have lightened restrictions in the belief structure of Hamas so that women could participate in suicide bombing, beginning with a mother of two who bombed an Israeli checkpoint where they had previously refrained from checking women for explosives? That's what he was up to the last time I saw this guy in the news anyway.

Need I remind all of the liberal who seem to think this Hamas leader was some prestigious religious leader that should be mourned that his followers were dancing in the streets on 9/11 and he would have been, too, had he not been a parapalegic? Hamas is an enemy of the United States, they just haven't taken any direct action. The only reason a few of their leaders have claimed they won't attack the U.S. is because they're afraid the U.S. will come down on them as hard as we did al-Qaida if they do.

Forum List

Back