Israeli actors sit out show at settlement theater

pbel

Gold Member
Feb 26, 2012

I'm really glad to see that Israelis are also protesting Israeli policies and joining the anti-settlement boycotts...It tells me that this issue will succeed and perhaps a real peace will bloom.

Israeli actors sit out show at settlement theater

JERUSALEM (AP) -- A trio of Israeli stage actors is refusing to perform in an acclaimed play before a theater in a West Bank Jewish settlement, part of a burgeoning domestic movement against the government's settlement policies.

The protest mirrors a global movement against the settlements that has put Israel's government in an increasingly difficult situation as the current round of peace talks with the Palestinians continues.

The international community, including the U.S., has long considered Israeli construction of homes for Jews in the West Bank, captured territory claimed by the Palestinians, as an obstacle to peace.

This sentiment, long held also by Israel's dovish left, now appears to be gaining steam at home following a string of harsh global condemnations of settlement construction in recent months. Some on Israel's left fear the scale of the settlements soon will pass the tipping point where a pullout may become too difficult, and Israel will be forced to essentially absorb the West Bank and its millions of Palestinians.

In a joint statement, the Cameri and Beit Lessin theaters said that three cast members in their production of "Best Friends" had asked to be excused from performing at the cultural center in Ariel, a settlement built deep inside the West Bank. It said they were granted exemptions and will be replaced by alternates, allowing the show to go on.

One of the actresses, Sarit Vino-Elad, said she could not bring herself to step foot in a theater built on occupied land and which posed an obstacle to peace with Palestinians.

Last edited:
I'm really glad to see that Israelis are also protesting Israeli policies and joining the anti-settlement boycotts...It tells me that this issue will succeed and perhaps a real peace will bloom.
Space cadettes tend to exibit such viewpoint, of course.
JERUSALEM (AP) -- A trio of Israeli stage actors is refusing to perform in an acclaimed play before a theater in a West Bank Jewish settlement, part of a burgeoning domestic movement against the government's settlement policies.
Three dumbass actors, much ado about nothing, no news, of course.

Forum List

Back