Israel 'may attack Iranian nuclear programme'

akiboy

Mar 28, 2006
Mumbai
AP

Occupied Jerusalem: Israel's deputy defence minister suggested in comments published on Friday that Israel might be forced to launch a military strike against Iran's nuclear programme the clearest statement yet of this possibility from a high-ranking Israeli official.

"I am not advocating an Israeli pre-emptive military action against Iran and I am aware of its possible repercussions," Deputy Defence Minister Ephraim Sneh, a former general, told The Jerusalem Post daily.

"I consider it a last resort. But even the last resort is sometimes the only resort." Government spokeswoman Miri Eisin said Sneh's comments did not necessarily reflect the view of Israel's government or Prime Minister Ehud Olmert.

Olmert said he was confident in the US handling of the international standoff over Iran's nuclear programme.

"I have enormous respect for President Bush. He is absolutely committed," Olmert said in an interview on NBC's Today show.

"I know that America will not allow Iran to possess nuclear weapons because this is a danger to the whole Western world."

The United States and its European allies have proposed a raft of sanctions to try to curb the country's nuclear development.

Israel crippled Iraq's nuclear programme 25 years ago with an airstrike on its unfinished nuclear reactor. Experts say Iran has learned from Iraq's mistakes, scattering its nuclear facilities and building some underground.

Sneh's tough talk is the boldest to date by a high-ranking Israeli official.

AP

Occupied Jerusalem: Israel's deputy defence minister suggested in comments published on Friday that Israel might be forced to launch a military strike against Iran's nuclear programme the clearest statement yet of this possibility from a high-ranking Israeli official.

"I am not advocating an Israeli pre-emptive military action against Iran and I am aware of its possible repercussions," Deputy Defence Minister Ephraim Sneh, a former general, told The Jerusalem Post daily.

"I consider it a last resort. But even the last resort is sometimes the only resort." Government spokeswoman Miri Eisin said Sneh's comments did not necessarily reflect the view of Israel's government or Prime Minister Ehud Olmert.

Olmert said he was confident in the US handling of the international standoff over Iran's nuclear programme.

"I have enormous respect for President Bush. He is absolutely committed," Olmert said in an interview on NBC's Today show.

"I know that America will not allow Iran to possess nuclear weapons because this is a danger to the whole Western world."

The United States and its European allies have proposed a raft of sanctions to try to curb the country's nuclear development.

Israel crippled Iraq's nuclear programme 25 years ago with an airstrike on its unfinished nuclear reactor. Experts say Iran has learned from Iraq's mistakes, scattering its nuclear facilities and building some underground.

Sneh's tough talk is the boldest to date by a high-ranking Israeli official.

Olmert apparently has some inside info that the rest of us is not aware of. The chances that Bush will stop Iranian nuclear ambitions with a Democratically controlled congress is nil. They better load up thier own bombers.

Olmert apparently has some inside info that the rest of us is not aware of. The chances that Bush will stop Iranian nuclear ambitions with a Democratically controlled congress is nil. They better load up thier own bombers.

Why? The Democrats aren't worried about Iran's nuclear program?

Akshay

Democrats are reactionists. They'll wait until Iran has nukes and threatens to use them, then blame President Bush for not doing something to stop them.

Then why are the AMericans voting for the Dems.? I can understand their anguish over Iraq and other issues but by reading your post I understand the Democrats shut the door after the horse has bolted and then blame someone else for it!

Akshay

Then why are the AMericans voting for the Dems.? I can understand their anguish over Iraq and other issues but by reading your post I understand the Democrats shut the door after the horse has bolted and then blame someone else for it!

Akshay

Because many liberals hold to the mistaken belief that if we appease people like bin laden and as Masri, and nations such as Iran and/or N Korea that they will either leave us alone because we have shown them we mean them no harm.

Their politically correct brainwashing refuses to accept the possibility that those people could hate us sumply because we exist and are scheming every minute on how to strike out at us.

They are incapable of differentiating between their utopian ideology and the reality in which we live.

Then there is the fact that they are firmly entrenched as the only opposition to the Republican party. A position they have held since before they shifted too far left. We have to have two parties at least or we suffer totalitarianism, and we need the Dems so every once in awhile we can give them some power so we can learn to appreciate what we had.

Forum List

Back