Is this racist?

No more racist than a black owned restaurant selling southern cuisine as ‘soul food’.
Does the menu include an enchilada combo called ‘The **** Special’? Or ‘The Wetback Burrito’ covered in Rio Grande sauce? ‘Alien Avocado Dip’? ‘Illegal Fajitas’? ‘Undocumented Tacos’? ‘Border Wall Queso’?

Selling and making soul food isn't racist in and of itself.

However, name the restaurant "Little Sambo's" or "Uncle Tom's" and it is. It's not the food they make, it's the name they called the place.
I bet your okay with a bar called red necks.

I never heard the expression "beaner" before and I'm 50% Hispanic. Really, it's irrelevant if it's racist. I don't think it is since I never heard it. But, like i said its irrelevant. What is relevant is this guy's business. Can he get enough business with a name some find offensive? Probably not, but he's free to keep it and fight that battle, or he can change it. If it were me I'd change it. Well, I would have tested and googled the name first so this would not happen to me.

No more racist than a black owned restaurant selling southern cuisine as ‘soul food’.
Does the menu include an enchilada combo called ‘The **** Special’? Or ‘The Wetback Burrito’ covered in Rio Grande sauce? ‘Alien Avocado Dip’? ‘Illegal Fajitas’? ‘Undocumented Tacos’? ‘Border Wall Queso’?

However, name the restaurant "Little Sambo's" or "Uncle Tom's" and it is. It's not the food they make, it's the name they called the place.
‘Soul food‘ is a racist misnomer.

Well, here in Amarillo, there is a new restaurant opening up, and it's causing a bit of a stir here in town. The local evening news just reported that a white lawyer named Jesse Quackenbush has opened up a new restaurant that serves fancy bean dishes, burritos and coffee, and has named it "The Big Beaner". He says that it's not racist, and that it is a humorous way to advertise the food that they serve.

Unfortunately for him, Amarillo has a large Hispanic population, and one of the racial slurs used against Mexicans is to call them "beaners", a reference to the fact that their diet includes beans as one of their main foods.

So, I already know what some people's opinions are about this place, I've posted a link that a DJ here wrote. Unfortunately, the local news doesn't have this up on their website yet, so when I can get a news story, I will post that link as well.

How many are upset or are offended by things like "white wall tires", "crackers and soup", "white bread".

Well, here in Amarillo, there is a new restaurant opening up, and it's causing a bit of a stir here in town. The local evening news just reported that a white lawyer named Jesse Quackenbush has opened up a new restaurant that serves fancy bean dishes, burritos and coffee, and has named it "The Big Beaner". He says that it's not racist, and that it is a humorous way to advertise the food that they serve.

Unfortunately for him, Amarillo has a large Hispanic population, and one of the racial slurs used against Mexicans is to call them "beaners", a reference to the fact that their diet includes beans as one of their main foods.

So, I already know what some people's opinions are about this place, I've posted a link that a DJ here wrote. Unfortunately, the local news doesn't have this up on their website yet, so when I can get a news story, I will post that link as well.

Yep its racist or whatever you call it when someone disparages an ethnic group.

How many are upset or are offended by things like "white wall tires", "crackers and soup", "white bread".
Nobody I know, but people I personally know. Doesn't have time to sit around and look for things to be offended about. A few years back I think there was a black Democrat politician was offended after someone said the black hole in space got something. Lol

Who made up those terms and who does it offend?

Depends on who named it red necks.

What's the problem with The Crazy Chicken?

What's the problem with The Crazy Chicken?
Don't let PETA find out what the name of the company means.

Other members and guests, I am guessing, had my reaction upon reading the OP: good-natured laughter.

On a serious note, however, that name is totally inappropriate -- and downright silly.

I agree, however, with other posters that probably it does not offend a lot of Hispanic people.

Why? Because demographers tell us that Hispanic people will eventually become the majority in this country. So it will be they who get the last laugh!

Who made up those terms and who does it offend?
I am guessing you are too young.

Forum List

Back