Is this Christian hate-speech in the Bible?

Anonymous1977

(NOT AFFILIATED WITH GROUP CALLED, "ANONYMOUS")
Nov 7, 2014
האי שלי
Greetings to all,

I was on another website discussing this passage from the Bible and whether or not it is hate-speech and I thought that I would ask the question here.

The passage is 2 Cor. 6:14-15...I want to cite the passage from the Amplified Bible because in researching the Amplified Bible at Wikipedia.org (at Amplified Bible - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia ,) I found out this about the Amplified Bible:

"...This unique system of translation allows the reader to more completely grasp the meaning of the words as they were understood in the original languages..."

So we see from the website that the Amplified Bible gives a more thorough translation of the meaning of the Bible's words in it's original languages...OK. Now, here is 2 Cor. 6:14-15, Amplified Bible:

"(14)Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers [do not make mismated alliances with them or come under a different yoke with them, inconsistent with your faith]. For what partnership have right living and right standing with God with iniquity and lawlessness? Or how can light have fellowship with darkness? (15)What harmony can there be between Christ and Belial [the devil]? Or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever?"

I would like to ask Christians, is characterizing those who do not believe in Christianity as "iniquitous," "lawless," "dark," and "devilish" hate-speech from the Bible?

Peace and may God Bless you.
Anonymous1977

Greetings to all,

I was on another website discussing this passage from the Bible and whether or not it is hate-speech and I thought that I would ask the question here.

The passage is 2 Cor. 6:14-15...I want to cite the passage from the Amplified Bible because in researching the Amplified Bible at Wikipedia.org (at Amplified Bible - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia ,) I found out this about the Amplified Bible:

"...This unique system of translation allows the reader to more completely grasp the meaning of the words as they were understood in the original languages..."

So we see from the website that the Amplified Bible gives a more thorough translation of the meaning of the Bible's words in it's original languages...OK. Now, here is 2 Cor. 6:14-15, Amplified Bible:

"(14)Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers [do not make mismated alliances with them or come under a different yoke with them, inconsistent with your faith]. For what partnership have right living and right standing with God with iniquity and lawlessness? Or how can light have fellowship with darkness? (15)What harmony can there be between Christ and Belial [the devil]? Or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever?"

I would like to ask Christians, is characterizing those who do not believe in Christianity as "iniquitous," "lawless," "dark," and "devilish" hate-speech from the Bible?

Anonymous1977
The way I see it this is the best passage in the Bible advocating the separation of Church and State.

Some non-believers certainly believe to be hate speech the counsel found in II Cor 2 6:14-15 and other passages that encourage separatism from non believers and no doers of the word.

That strain of separation is still alive today, encouraged by the Pilgrims, the blue light and Church of Christ and Mormon movements of the Case Western Reserve in the 1830s, and the Azusa Street Movement of 1906. There are many others, including the Jehovah Witnesses.

I knew a JW mother, a woman I liked personally, engage in shunning her daughter when she married a non-JW guy. The shunning was very hateful in my opinion.

Just remember

Even if two people have fundamental differences, it is not always the case those differences will survive.

I think the "advice" is just another threat to keep the sheep from straying through engaging people with different perspectives about reality. A few major religions are like that.

If you read the passage in context Paul is warning the Early Christians to not make alliances with just anyone because such alliances would not benefit them. And no one should. It makes no sense to ally yourself with anyone if you are diametrically opposed to each other except for one or two issues. That would be like the United States government allying with Islamic fundamentalists so they can both topple the Soviet Union. There is a saying "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" but often that isn't true and if you dare to help share the yoke of your enemy's enemy then you just might be sharing the yoke with someone who is just as bad as the enemy you oppose. This isn't hate speech, it is just common sense.

well , I was talking speech or shunning as I thought that the topic was about Speech and I saw mention of shunning Delta . I have no problem with shunning or avoiding those that I dislike or disapprove of as its just practicing good DISCRIMINATION !! As the USA is a secular land Honor killing is against the law in the USA and most western lands [at this time but you just wait] .

Christianty's a religion of peace and love, not hate...

1 When the LORD thy God shall bring thee into the land whither thou goest to possess it, and hath cast out many nations before thee, the Hittites, and the Girgashites, and the Amorites, and the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites, seven nations greater and mightier than thou;

2 And when the LORD thy God shall deliver them before thee; thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them; thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor shew mercy unto them:

3 Neither shalt thou make marriages with them; thy daughter thou shalt not give unto his son, nor his daughter shalt thou take unto thy son.

4 For they will turn away thy son from following me, that they may serve other gods: so will the anger of the LORD be kindled against you, and destroy thee suddenly.

- Deuteronomy 7, KJV
DEUTERONOMY CHAPTER 7

do it as you like Delta and I'll do as I like , I certainly won't physically hurt or kill as punishment but I do practice good DISCRIMINATION in my day to day life . My parents told me as I was growing that I would be known by the friends I keep !!

24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

- Romans 1, KJV

Funny how anti-sex Christianity is when modern science tells us all the benefits of sex and love.

"Religious Roots
The origins of the fundamental reciprocal relationship between physical violence and physical pleasure can be traced to philosophical dualism and to the theology of body/soul relationships. In Western philosophical thought man was not a unitary being but was divided into two parts, body and soul. The Greek philosophical conception of the relationship between body and soul was quite different than the Judeo-Christian concept which posited a state of war between the body and soul. Within Judeo-Christian thought the purpose of human life was to save the soul, and the body was seen as an impediment to achieving this objective. Consequently, the body must be punished and deprived. In St. Paul's words: "Put to death the base pursuits of the bodyקfor if you live according to the flesh, you shall die: but if by the spirit you mortify the deeds of the flesh, you shall live" (Romans 8:13). St. Paul clearly advocated somatosensory pleasure deprivation and enhancement of painful somatosensory stimulation as essential prerequisites for saving the soul."

"It is evident that the Judeo-Christian concept of body pleasure is quite the opposite of that outlined by Aristotle, particularly, the relief of body pain and discomfort through somatosensory pleasure. This denial of somatosensory pleasure in Pauline Christian doctrine has led to alternative forms of 'relief' through such painful stimulations as hair-shirts, self-scourgings, self-mutilations, physical violence against others, and in the non-sensory pleasures of drugs."
BODY PLEASURE AND THE ORIGINS OF VIOLENCE By James W. Prescott

I see it as alright if that's what a person believes !!

Honor killings okay then since that's what some believe?
If you take the scripture as it is offered, the comment would be that someone who does not believe in honor killings ought not marry someone who does......to me that seems to be very sound advice......I might go so far as to say one should not marry someone who believes in honor killings even if they also believe in honor killings......

If you read the passage in context Paul is warning the Early Christians to not make alliances with just anyone because such alliances would not benefit them. And no one should. It makes no sense to ally yourself with anyone if you are diametrically opposed to each other except for one or two issues. That would be like the United States government allying with Islamic fundamentalists so they can both topple the Soviet Union. There is a saying "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" but often that isn't true and if you dare to help share the yoke of your enemy's enemy then you just might be sharing the yoke with someone who is just as bad as the enemy you oppose. This isn't hate speech, it is just common sense.

Well, I disagree...I think that characterizing someone as "iniquitous," "lawless," "dark," and "devilish" because they are not Christians is VERY hateful...

Anonymous1977

If you take the scripture as it is offered, the comment would be that someone who does not believe in honor killings ought not marry someone who does......to me that seems to be very sound advice......I might go so far as to say one should not marry someone who believes in honor killings even if they also believe in honor killings......

Peace, PostmodernProph.

I can agree that the best relationships are with people who are most like yourself...but why doesn't the Scripture (2 Cor. 6:14-15) just say "don't form relations with non-Christians because they are different from you and that will cause your relationship to not be a good one"? Why characterize non-Christians as "iniquitous," "lawless," "dark," and "devilish"?

I myself find that very hateful...

Peace:).
Anonymous1977

Peace, PostmodernProph.

I can agree that the best relationships are with people who are most like yourself...but why doesn't the Scripture (2 Cor. 6:14-15) just say "don't form relations with non-Christians because they are different from you and that will cause your relationship to not be a good one"? Why characterize non-Christians as "iniquitous," "lawless," "dark," and "devilish"?

I myself find that very hateful...

Peace:).
Anonymous1977
as opposed to someone who believes in honor killings?.....

as opposed to someone who believes in honor killings?.....

Well, honor-killing was brought up by someone else...I'm not very well studied on that issue and I don't believe everything that the American media says...my issue in the thread was Christian "hate-speech" (in the Bible.)

Anonymous1977

Christianty's a religion of peace and love, not hate...

1 When the LORD thy God shall bring thee into the land whither thou goest to possess it, and hath cast out many nations before thee, the Hittites, and the Girgashites, and the Amorites, and the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites, seven nations greater and mightier than thou;

2 And when the LORD thy God shall deliver them before thee; thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them; thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor shew mercy unto them:

3 Neither shalt thou make marriages with them; thy daughter thou shalt not give unto his son, nor his daughter shalt thou take unto thy son.

4 For they will turn away thy son from following me, that they may serve other gods: so will the anger of the LORD be kindled against you, and destroy thee suddenly.

- Deuteronomy 7, KJV
DEUTERONOMY CHAPTER 7

Why do you associate Christianity with God's commands to the Israelite nation?

24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

- Romans 1, KJV

Funny how anti-sex Christianity is when modern science tells us all the benefits of sex and love.

"Religious Roots
The origins of the fundamental reciprocal relationship between physical violence and physical pleasure can be traced to philosophical dualism and to the theology of body/soul relationships. In Western philosophical thought man was not a unitary being but was divided into two parts, body and soul. The Greek philosophical conception of the relationship between body and soul was quite different than the Judeo-Christian concept which posited a state of war between the body and soul. Within Judeo-Christian thought the purpose of human life was to save the soul, and the body was seen as an impediment to achieving this objective. Consequently, the body must be punished and deprived. In St. Paul's words: "Put to death the base pursuits of the bodyקfor if you live according to the flesh, you shall die: but if by the spirit you mortify the deeds of the flesh, you shall live" (Romans 8:13). St. Paul clearly advocated somatosensory pleasure deprivation and enhancement of painful somatosensory stimulation as essential prerequisites for saving the soul."

"It is evident that the Judeo-Christian concept of body pleasure is quite the opposite of that outlined by Aristotle, particularly, the relief of body pain and discomfort through somatosensory pleasure. This denial of somatosensory pleasure in Pauline Christian doctrine has led to alternative forms of 'relief' through such painful stimulations as hair-shirts, self-scourgings, self-mutilations, physical violence against others, and in the non-sensory pleasures of drugs."
BODY PLEASURE AND THE ORIGINS OF VIOLENCE By James W. Prescott

How is that anti-sex?

New Topics

Forum List

Back