Is this a good idea?

A Two-Track High-School System Is a Must for Education Reform Dr. Jim Taylor

Why would anybody think this would be a good idea? I would want all American students to experience the intellectual subjects. I am tired of the anti intellectualism! We need more thinkers not workers/pawns!
It seems to me there already is a two track system. It's just not formalized, AP classes and honor classes for those set on attending college and the standard curriculum for the remainder of the students. However, I don't favor a formulated track that binds students to a set curriculum. Students should have the freedom of choice as long they meet state requirements for graduation.

Why would anybody think this would be a good idea? I would want all American students to experience the intellectual subjects. I am tired of the anti intellectualism! We need more thinkers not workers/pawns!
It seems to me there already is a two track system. It's just not formalized, AP classes and honor classes for those set on attending college and the standard curriculum for the remainder of the students. However, I don't favor a formulated track that binds students to a set curriculum. Students should have the freedom of choice as long they meet state requirements for graduation.

This 100%. The problem with the AP/Honors is sometimes kids have storng subjects. I have a student who's a really poor writer, and struggles to pass my (honors) English class. I honestly think that he might need to be moved down to regular next year. He's excelling in all of his other subjects though.

I do think that we need more options for students to go into a career school though.

One person told me creating separate schools caused the students to become more arrogant and the system perpetuated stereotypical behavior. I don't think we want a class war on our hands.

I agree but not everyone is highly intelligent. We need builders and ditch diggers too. ;)

It should be a choice one has to go to one or the either. Want to try your hand at science or math??? Well, here you go...Want to learn how to build a house or to plant a farm?? You go here. Both are good pathways.

One person told me creating separate schools caused the students to become more arrogant and the system perpetuated stereotypical behavior. I don't think we want a class war on our hands.

There wouldn't be any class war as we shouldn't make our schools based on the dollar. We'd make them based on the personal choice of education. ;) Maybe the first 8 years everyone would go to the same school, but then it splits into two choices...Do you want to go to a trade high school or do you wish to try your hand at science & math, etc.

There wouldn't be any class war as we shouldn't make our schools based on the dollar. We'd make them based on the personal choice of education. ;) Maybe the first 8 years everyone would go to the same school, but then it splits into two choices...Do you want to go to a trade high school or do you wish to try your hand at science & math, etc.
This is exactly what happens in many of the countries that out rank the US. The problem as I see, we have oversold a college education to parents, students, and employers. There are companies now that won't even consider you for a job in shipping and receiving unless you have 2 years of college.

Forum List

Back