Is there a Stupid bias in Media?

william the wie

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2009
If you are trying to reach a demographic that is more easily misled by advertising you are biasing toward the stupid and while stupid tends towards the liberal and innumerate that strikes me as incidental. Liberals per se are not the target but rather the stupid. I thought this distinction important to point out.

If you are trying to reach a demographic that is more easily misled by advertising you are biasing toward the stupid and while stupid tends towards the liberal and innumerate that strikes me as incidental. Liberals per se are not the target but rather the stupid. I thought this distinction important to point out.

Of course. And it's nothing new. The term "vast wasteland" describing television was coined in 1961. Nothing's changed but technology. I assume here you're speaking of television.

Television cannot do nuance or deep thought. It does two-dimensional eye candy made out of emotions. That's why the hit shows are fake wrestling and paternity suits and confessionals and cops chasing robbers and people voted off the island for not eating enough bugs. That's why your local Fraction News dismisses what went on in city council so they can bring you a fire that happened somewhere you've never even been. That's why Fox Noise is made of colorful sets with angry old white guys pounding on the table and short-skirted bimbos while suggestive conspiratorial chyrons run across the screen. That's why even the Weather Channel gives up on its informational scope to bring you specials on the flood/tsunami/heat wave/cold wave that will kill you tomorrow. And that's why A&E effectively went from Arts and Entertainment to Farts and Eccentrics.

LCD $ell$, m'boy. It's not hard to see why they put it out there. A worthier question is: why do we watch it?

people who we call the ''stupid' are not the rock bottom poor in society either...they don't even watch the news for the most part, nor do they vote in numbers...

it's more than likely those who do work for a living, married, probably with children as well....and probably middle class by most aspects of the term...?

people who we call the ''stupid' are not the rock bottom poor in society either...they don't even watch the news for the most part, nor do they vote in numbers...

it's more than likely those who do work for a living, married, probably with children as well....and probably middle class by most aspects of the term...?
The people who veg out in front of the TV are more likely to be single and therefore poor.

The people who veg out in front of the TV are more likely to be single and therefore poor.
the single are young for the most part and they don't veg out watching politics on tv, sorry....they just don't..... survivor, dancing with stars, soap operas, etc etc etc...but NOT the news....william

Forum List

Back