Is there a psychological reason for TV viewers being turned off by anything set in space?

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
I heard a guy on a forum dedicated to a sci fi show say that mainstream TV and movie viewers seem all too ready to watch things that involve our future near extinction by things from Space or by other means. They don't want to see a new Space Opera, but they do want to see how we fight back against the Aliens or Zombies that nearly killed off the human race. And they will go in droves to see humans who have superpowers in Space or wherever else.

Is he right? If so then why? Is it because the post apocalyptic and superhero shows are of better quality? Is it because the stress of their lives make them feel powerless and that causes them to flock to superheroes and zombie apocalypses?

Or has space become too damn boring for most people?

I could get behind something set in space.

1593217922231.png

Dunno about anyone else, but one show that I watched religiously when it was on was the series "Firefly", which is basically a spaghetti western set in space aboard the ship Firefly. And, I gotta say, it was a damn good show.

Nope, stories set in space are something I kinda like. Gravity and Ad Astra were extremely good movies.

Space stuff tends to get lost in nomenclature people don't want to put the effort into learning.

Space stuff tends to get lost in nomenclature people don't want to put the effort into learning.

Never had that problem as space has always fascinated me. I remember that when I was 7, my mother got me a Time/Life book set covering all sorts of things. My favorite one had a purple cover on it, and a picture of a galaxy, and it was called The Universe. Out of all the books in the series that I had, that was the one I read the most. All the other books looked damn near brand new many years later, but that one was dog eared and had a crack down the spine.

Space has always fascinated me.

Dunno about anyone else, but one show that I watched religiously when it was on was the series "Firefly", which is basically a spaghetti western set in space aboard the ship Firefly. And, I gotta say, it was a damn good show.

Nope, stories set in space are something I kinda like. Gravity and Ad Astra were extremely good movies.
They don't write them like Firefly anymore. Mores the pity. One of the best SF shows ever.

The expanse is my current favorite, but I loved firefly and serenity.

Never had that problem as space has always fascinated me. I remember that when I was 7, my mother got me a Time/Life book set covering all sorts of things. My favorite one had a purple cover on it, and a picture of a galaxy, and it was called The Universe. Out of all the books in the series that I had, that was the one I read the most. All the other books looked damn near brand new many years later, but that one was dog eared and had a crack down the spine.

That book was the best!!!

1593219582815.png

scifi is always going to have their own species, own names for this that and the other to where if you don't watch religiously, you may not know what is going on. It would be like watching Lost and trying to figure out the plot. space scifi plots are all derivative at this point.

View attachment 355595
Oh my gosh, I remember these books!

View attachment 355595

Thank you very much for the pic. It brings back many good memories.

Forum List

Back