Is there a justification for having prisons?

anotherlife

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2012
Cross-Atlantic
i can't find a life form that is capable to functioning in a hermetic enclosure. Even those life forms that operate within enclosures, are after entering and exiting those enclosures, at their own "will".

So what do humans really do, when they imprison life forms, such as animals in zoos or people in prisons? I would like to postulate that this way humans do evil.

All kinds of texts have always warned against doing evil. But are humans above the consequences of doing evil, when they offload the evil deeds to some institution, such as a prison system that they create?

Is personal responsibility lifted by institutional validation?

Discuss.

keep-calm-and-abolish-prisons.png

i can't find a life form that is capable to functioning in a hermetic enclosure. Even those life forms that operate within enclosures, are after entering and exiting those enclosures, at their own "will".

So what do humans really do, when they imprison life forms, such as animals in zoos or people in prisons? I would like to postulate that this way humans do evil.

All kinds of texts have always warned against doing evil. But are humans above the consequences of doing evil, when they offload the evil deeds to some institution, such as a prison system that they create?

Discuss.
Kings have used prisons since ancient times.

Normally they were simply holding pens until an accused could be tried and punished.

The punishment was usually decapitation or dismemberment of some sort such as cutting off an ear, a hand, or an eye.

Do you want to go back to that instead?

Probably not (rhetorical question).

Since we seldom execute today in the USA, and almost never in the rest of the world, prisons are a necessary evil.

The modern theory of imprisonment is to get felons off the streets.

Sociology of punishment - Wikipedia

The U.S. is only 5% of the worlds population yet has 25% of the worlds prisoners despite the fact crime in the U.S. is at a 30+ year low.

Why is this? This is because the U.S. (a police state) victimizes people by criminalizing them for doing things that are not morally wrong (e.g. crimes where there is no actual victim). The majority of people in prison in the U.S. are the result of Nixons "war on drugs" and politicians "get tough on crime" bullshit. Add to this all of the privately owned prisons in the U.S. (many politicians have stock in these prisons) and how the states must pay for empty beds. In short, the contracts between participating states and private prisons make it mandatory that every prison bed be occupied. If they are not, the state has to pay penalties. Interesting, huh?

Now, to the original posters concerns:
Every prison in the U.S. should be torn down and more humane facilities built. Stop housing and treating the inmates like dogs and housing them like cattle and start (re)building their characters. Stop using them for slave labor and return the jobs they do to the public where it needs to be.
For information on the prison industry visit:
http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-pr...es-big-business-or-a-new-form-of-slavery/8289

What other forms of punishment would you be willing to accept, if not a prison or jail? Without those, there wouldn't be a justice system including trials for guilt or innocence. What? Just kill the perceived offender on the spot? That's why the world has laws, courts & such.

As for zoos & animal sanctuary's.......would you like it if a tiger had you or kids in it's sights for a meal?

The U.S. is only 5% of the worlds population yet has 25% of the worlds prisoners despite the fact crime in the U.S. is at a 30+ year low.

Why is this? This is because the U.S. (a police state) victimizes people by criminalizing them for doing things that are not morally wrong (e.g. crimes where there is no actual victim). The majority of people in prison in the U.S. are the result of Nixons "war on drugs" and politicians "get tough on crime" bullshit. Add to this all of the privately owned prisons in the U.S. (many politicians have stock in these prisons) and how the states must pay for empty beds. In short, the contracts between participating states and private prisons make it mandatory that every prison bed be occupied. If they are not, the state has to pay penalties. Interesting, huh?

Every prison in the U.S. should be torn down and more humane facilities built. Stop housing and treating the inmates like dogs and housing them like cattle and start (re)building their characters. Stop using them for slave labor and return the jobs they do to the public where it needs to be.
http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-pr...es-big-business-or-a-new-form-of-slavery/8289
Bad genes.

Granny says, "Dat's right...

... where else ya gonna put...

... alla rapists, murderers, bank robbers, serial killers, dope dealers...

... an' yankee media lefty types?"

Discuss.

They are removed from society. That is the point.

Discuss.
Some people need to be removed from society because they have chosen not to abide by the accepted rules

So if you want to get rid of prisons you can have all those miscreants live with you

Personally I'm all for dumping them all on a deserted island and letting them fend for themselves

serial-killer-quiz-orig.jpg

I think prisons should be only short stays before executions. It used to be normal to execute thieves, robbers, and other punks quickly. I think it is also true, that prisons are mostly just to launder private politician cash through taxpayer dollars.

I think prisons should be only short stays before executions. It used to be normal to execute thieves, robbers, and other punks quickly. I think it is also true, that prisons are mostly just to launder private politician cash through taxpayer dollars.
Then you must love Norway and their lite handslap for Breivik.

Discuss.
Some people need to be removed from society because they have chosen not to abide by the accepted rules

So if you want to get rid of prisons you can have all those miscreants live with you

Personally I'm all for dumping them all on a deserted island and letting them fend for themselves
That island used to be named Australia.

Forum List

Back