Is There A God?

Buck111

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2016
On the big blue marble
Most people think of "god" as a being who resembles them, hangs out in a place called "heaven" and passes harsh judgements on us. "He loves us", they say. "But, He is not going to love us if we don't obey him and do as he says. He will send us to hell if we disobey him and don't keep his commandments."

Now, that's all a bit confusing to me. How can he love us and then punish us in hell for all eternity if we don't obey his laws? Always heard that love is unconditional; why is gods love conditional?

For some reason I am suppose to bow to and worship some guy who has never physically revealed himself to me. I am suppose to do it on "faith" (whatever that is).

Now, don't get me wrong, I do believe there is a higher power - a force so strong it can create and destroy everything. And I believe that higher power to be intelligent. What I cannot believe any longer, after decades of doing so, is this higher power is jealous and petty and will put me in hell for also being jealous and petty. I don't believe this higher power will call for the murdering of people, yet put me in hell for murdering without his consent. If my purpose in being on this big blue marble is to aspire to be like him, then it is my responsibility to be jealous, petty and a murderer. If this truly is the way he is, then I don't want to be like him.

There are many, many different religions on this planet. Many are indigenous to particular regions or eras of the world. For instance: You have Judaics here, Muslims there, Buddhists over there and Christians all over the place. ALL of these religions began in different locales or in close proximity to each other at different times in history. Each became government sponsored according to what manner the government chose to use them. The United States was once considered a Christian country. So was much of Europe. Israel is considered to be a Jewish state. Thailand recognizes Buddhism as its traditional religion. Islam (the Muslim religion) is practiced throughout the middle east. There are way more than four religions - I am only using four as examples to save time and space.

Nearly all religions have three things in common: 1. They believe in a god. 2. Only their religions is right. 3. Fear.
Those are the three main things they all have in common. While some are non-violent, many will kill you or condemn you to hell for believing differently from them. Even sects within each religion will condemn or kill each other for not believing as they do, even though those sects claim to worship the same god (i.e. Catholics and Protestants; Secular and ultra-orthodox Jews).

I believe that #3, Fear, is the main motivator when it comes to peoples beliefs in their religions. People are terrified of the unknown. Death is an unknown. We don't know where we are going when we die, but we don't want to end. Death is permanent and scary as hell - unless you believe in hell, then you can avoid it. All you have to do is believe and do a few rituals, follow some commandments and, POOF, you will live forever in a wonderful mansion with or without (depending on your religion) 72 virgins.

No, I am not an atheist. Atheism is a religion as wicked as all of the rest. It is based in hatred and condemnation of those who are not atheists. Just like every other religion, atheism, seeks to dictate how others should think, believe and live. Many atheists would behead you, burn you at the stake, or hang you from a cross, just as quickly as any other religion has done in the past.

So, what religion am I? Just like being a Democrat, a Republican, a Libertarian, a Anarchist, a Voluntaryist...I am none. Or am of none. I do not subscribe to any religious dogma any more than I subscribe to any political dogma. I believe there is a force of energy that is so great it can create things from nothing, including the human life form. I don't believe that energy wants me to murder, be jealous, or be petty. I believe that I was created in that energies imagine, because I too am energy and energy never dies. Energy does not know heaven, nor does it know hell. Energy is immune to such stupidity.

Last edited:
Most people think of "god" as a being who resembles them, hangs out in a place called "heaven" and passes harsh judgements on us. "He loves us", they say. "But, He is not going to love us if we don't obey him and do as he says. He will send us to hell if we disobey him and don't keep his commandments."

Now, that's all a bit confusing to me. How can he love us and then punish us in hell for all eternity if we don't obey his laws? Always heard that love is unconditional; why is gods love conditional?

For some reason I am suppose to bow to and worship some guy who has never physically revealed himself to me. I am suppose to do it on "faith" (whatever that is).

Now, don't get me wrong, I do believe there is a higher power - a force so strong it can create and destroy everything. And I believe that higher power to be intelligent. What I cannot believe any longer, after decades of doing so, is this higher power is jealous and petty and will put me in hell for also being jealous and petty. I don't believe this higher power will call for the murdering of people, yet put me in hell for murdering without his consent. If my purpose in being on this big blue marble is to aspire to be like him, then it is my responsibility to be jealous, petty and a murdered. If this truly is the way he is, then I don't want to be like him.

There are many, many different religions on this planet. Many are indigenous to particular regions or eras of the world. For instance: You have Judaics here, Muslims there, Buddhists over there and Christians all over the place. ALL of these religions began in different locales or in close proximity to each other at different times in history. Each became government sponsored according to what manner the government chose to use them. The United States was once considered a Christian country. So was much of Europe. Israel is considered to be a Jewish state. Thailand recognizes Buddhism as its traditional religion. Islam (the Muslim religion) is practiced throughout the middle east. There are way more than four religions - I am only using four as examples to save time and space.

Nearly all religions have three things in common: 1. They believe in a god. 2. Only their religions is right. 3. Fear.
Those are the three main things they all have in common. While some are non-violent, many will kill you or condemn you to hell for believing differently from them. Even sects within each religion will condemn or kill each other for not believing as they do, even though those sects claim to worship the same god (i.e. Catholics and Protestants; Secular and ultra-orthodox Jews).

I believe that #3, Fear, is the main motivator when it comes to peoples beliefs in their religions. People are terrified of the unknown. Death is an unknown. We don't know where we are going when we die, but we don't want to end. Death is permanent and scary as hell - unless you believe in hell, then you can avoid it. All you have to do is believe and do a few rituals, follow some commandments and, POOF, you will live forever in a wonderful mansion with or without (depending on your religion) 72 virgins.

No, I am not an atheist. Atheism is a religion as wicked as all of the rest. It is based in hatred and condemnation of those who are not atheists. Just like every other religion, atheism, seeks to dictate how others should think, believe and live. Many atheists would behead you, burn you at the stake, or hang you from a cross, just as quickly as any other religion has done in the past.

So, what religion am I? Just like being a Democrat, a Republican, a Libertarian, a Anarchist, a Voluntaryist...I am none. Or am of none. I do not subscribe to any religious dogma any more than I subscribe to any political dogma. I believe there is a force of energy that is so great it can create things from nothing, including the human life form. I don't believe that energy wants me to murder, be jealous, or be petty. I believe that I was created in that energies imagine, because I too am energy and energy never dies. Energy does not know heaven, nor does it know hell. Energy is immune to such stupidity.

My personal view is very similar to yours, however I do believe humans genuinely make a connection to some metaphysical power. Religions are simply evidence of this connection and the validity of it. We don't understand it, therefore, our understandings are flawed and we create these dogmatic set of beliefs to explain it.... we call them religions. But there is something "spiritual" that humans connect with and it enables a thing we refer to commonly as "inspiration" ...the word "spirit" is rooted here. Through our ability to connect with something greater than self, we are able to become inspired to do things we otherwise would never have faith to attempt. It's the reason we're not still climbing around in trees.

So to me... "God" is this spiritual energy we connect with. I have no reason to believe it judges you or condemns you or cares about you in any sort of way... it's simply there as a force to guide you on a path that seems to be inclined toward light and away from dark... toward goodness and away from evil. I don't believe in religions but I have no animosity toward them because at least these people (for the most part) are practicing and exercising spiritual awareness of some kind. I think humanity will forever be better off for that and wouldn't want to see a world devoid of it.

Now, don't get me wrong, I do believe there is a higher power - a force so strong it can create and destroy everything. And I believe that higher power to be intelligent. What I cannot believe any longer, after decades of doing so, is this higher power is jealous and petty and will put me in hell for also being jealous and petty. I don't believe this higher power will call for the murdering of people, yet put me in hell for murdering without his consent. If my purpose in being on this big blue marble is to aspire to be like him, then it is my responsibility to be jealous, petty and a murderer. If this truly is the way he is, then I don't want to be like him.

Depends on what your definition of hell is.
I believe God is using hyperbole to get people to repent.
Bible gives us an out with the word "like"
Doesn't serve much purpose to have people burning but never consumed.
But they may feel like that when they learn what they missed out on.

To think that there is not a more powerful figure out there than Humans is ignorant!
To think that a more powerful figure must be omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent is fanciful.
1463026305004.jpg

Depends on what your definition of hell is.
I believe God is using hyperbole to get people to repent.
Bible gives us an out with the word "like"
Doesn't serve much purpose to have people burning but never consumed.
But they may feel like that when they learn what they missed out on.

To me, there is no actual hell other than the one we suffer here on earth.
The bible was written by men to influence men. It is not the divine word of any "god". It has been changed and bastardized so many times, if it really ever had any truth in it, that truth is gone.

Otherwise, you can use logic.
You mean like paying attention to the actual meaning of the word 'religion' instead of inventing my own meaning?

religion

a. The belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers, regarded as creating and governing the universe:
PS. I didn't bother checking out government rulings. Trawling through a link to make someone's unvoiced argument for them is not my idea of fun.

Apparently you missed this one:

3. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion: a person for whom art became a religion.

I worry for your eternal life ... even if you don't know about it.

Frankly, it is your egotism that will doom you. To believe that you are the most intelligent being will be your downfall. It's not your place to question God, only to question your own fallibility.

When the day comes, one of us will be right -- and one of us will be wrong. If I'm wrong, I have lost nothing. But, you ... if you're wrong, you're fucked.

To think that there is not a more powerful figure out there than Humans is ignorant!
To think that a more powerful figure must be omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent is fanciful.

And we see why the far left drones always fail at each and every posting!

But then again you saw Obama as your god, just like you want government to be your God..

To believe that you are the highest form of life is egotistical, fanciful, and fatal. The very thought amuses me.

Maybe it is because the far left sees themselves as Gods and all should bow to them..

To believe that you are the highest form of life is egotistical, fanciful, and fatal. The very thought amuses me.

Maybe it is because the far left sees themselves as Gods and all should bow to them..

You are exactly correct --- their elitism and perception of superiority makes it impossible for them to acknowledge a higher power ---- like God ,,, or the Electoral College.

Forum List

Back