Is there a gay gene?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
I think this is the wrong question. No gene will override our ability to make decisions and force us into a sexual encounter. I think a better question is "is homosexuality the result of hormones?"

When a male-to-female transsexual began her process of change, then-he identified as heterosexual, with no interest in male-homosexuality. Once he began female hormone therapy however, he noticed he was having such feelings. Though he eventually married a woman, and remains married to her to this day, the change from male to female hormones resulted in a noticed change of sexual interest. (Dr. Marci Bowers et al.)

The whole controversy over whether or not there is a gay gene seems to me more about explaining or justifying homosexuality to heterosexuals. "It's not a choice, they were born that way so leave them alone." But as a bisexual male myself, I don't need an excuse for why I'm attracted to both men and women. In my case I think it's simply no one ever sat me down and convinced me one was good, the other isn't. So my sexual history began with sex simply about the enjoyment of physical and emotional pleasures. But with no emphasis on gay or straight. After several heterosexual experiences, I naturally became curious about homosexuality and eventually had the opportunity to experiment. And I discovered I quite enjoyed it.

Ultimately, sex is about giving someone else pleasure. And we can all do that to anyone we choose to (and who's agreeable heh.) I think the categorization of gay or straight is artificial and not objective reality. Pleasure's pleasure and not dependent upon the recipiant. Eroticism occurs in our minds and we'll all interpret the acts however we decide to. Who we're with doesn't really enter into it unless we decide to focus on that aspect. But every person's body is warm, feels good against our own, and once we get over the gay/straight superficiality we come to realize everyone feels the same.

But who we share ourselves with is always the result of choice. Whether there's a genetic or hormonal component to it is perhaps immaterial. Making someone feel good, and they us is what sex is all about. Only recently was gay or straight even coined. Prior to such definitions everyone simply enjoyed sex with whomever (ancient Greece and Rome et al.)

Instead of clinging to such ideas, try thinking of sexuality as simply something that's a lot of fun. Afterall, when we masturbate, we're all enjoying the feel and feelings of our own sex - the purest form of homosexuality. :)

skinny-jeans.jpg

Is there a gay gene?

Yes there is

I think this is the wrong question. No gene will override our ability to make decisions and force us into a sexual encounter. I think a better question is "is homosexuality the result of hormones?"

When a male-to-female transsexual began her process of change, then-he identified as heterosexual, with no interest in male-homosexuality. Once he began female hormone therapy however, he noticed he was having such feelings. Though he eventually married a woman, and remains married to her to this day, the change from male to female hormones resulted in a noticed change of sexual interest. (Dr. Marci Bowers et al.)

The whole controversy over whether or not there is a gay gene seems to me more about explaining or justifying homosexuality to heterosexuals. "It's not a choice, they were born that way so leave them alone." But as a bisexual male myself, I don't need an excuse for why I'm attracted to both men and women. In my case I think it's simply no one ever sat me down and convinced me one was good, the other isn't. So my sexual history began with sex simply about the enjoyment of physical and emotional pleasures. But with no emphasis on gay or straight. After several heterosexual experiences, I naturally became curious about homosexuality and eventually had the opportunity to experiment. And I discovered I quite enjoyed it.

Ultimately, sex is about giving someone else pleasure. And we can all do that to anyone we choose to (and who's agreeable heh.) I think the categorization of gay or straight is artificial and not objective reality. Pleasure's pleasure and not dependent upon the recipiant. Eroticism occurs in our minds and we'll all interpret the acts however we decide to. Who we're with doesn't really enter into it unless we decide to focus on that aspect. But every person's body is warm, feels good against our own, and once we get over the gay/straight superficiality we come to realize everyone feels the same.

But who we share ourselves with is always the result of choice. Whether there's a genetic or hormonal component to it is perhaps immaterial. Making someone feel good, and they us is what sex is all about. Only recently was gay or straight even coined. Prior to such definitions everyone simply enjoyed sex with whomever (ancient Greece and Rome et al.)

Instead of clinging to such ideas, try thinking of sexuality as simply something that's a lot of fun. Afterall, when we masturbate, we're all enjoying the feel and feelings of our own sex - the purest form of homosexuality. :)

I believe that the existence of bisexual people suggest that a person's sexuality is very much a choice. The mind is a powerful thing. It's kind of like the story about the emperor that had no cloths. Because of the social stigma associated with homosexual sex, many would never admit to such an attraction if it were ever to occur. And many gays also don't want to admit heterosexual attractions. The wife of the mayor of NY was supposedly a lesbian. Is she still a lesbian or did she evolve to become bisexual.

There is also a very common situation in which a husband with a wife a several children suddenly declares his gayness and leaves his wife. Did he not enjoy sex with his wife when he was "making those babies with her"?

I don't know if there is a gay gene, per say, but I do think homosexuality is biological.

There is also a very common situation in which a husband with a wife a several children suddenly declares his gayness and leaves his wife. Did he not enjoy sex with his wife when he was "making those babies with her"?

Just because he suddenly declared it doesn't mean he wasn't always gay. Homosexuality just started become accepted mainstream within the past decade. The men who have done what you describe did so out of societal pressures and fear of openly admitting who they really were. It was a facade so they wouldn't be outcast by their family and friends. They pretended to be somebody they weren't.

Not genetic, but probably epigenetic.

Epigenetic changes involve the switching on and off of genes due to outside influence. Epigenetic is why
pregnant women must not smoke or drink alcohol - two substances that affect gene expression.

So homosexuality is most likely "passed on" by hormonal changes that occur during pregnancy. Some are also studying whether sperm from gray haired (older) fathers tend to have epigenetic changes that make offspring prone to homosexuality.

Much more needs to be done in this field to determine if traits that are environmentally caused and inherited can be demonstrated clearly.

Regards from Rosie

Homosexuality is a severe form of mental illness.

Couldn't agree more

And those who practice this perversion should be locked up in the interest of public safety

I don't know about that - simple castration would suffice ...lol

...and given treatments until they are cured. ... :cool:

Ex-Gay is the only way out , it does work despite what the Gay Agenda tells you

Homosexuality is a severe form of mental illness.

And those who practice this perversion should be locked up in the interest of public safety and given treatments until they are cured. ... :cool:

I think you are just looking for company.

StraightJacket.jpg

I hope it's biological, you would have to be one sick fuck to choose to be a homo

That's a very enlightened perspective, but based on your life experience. My opinion is that it could be genetic, environmental or a combination. There are people raised by heterosexual parents who felt they were always drawn physically to the same gender, with no interest in the opposite sex. I've also known 2 women who admitted that they chose, or felt they had no other choice, than to be with women after being molested by their fathers.

In a word, no.

No

One anecdotal story is not evidence, especially when you consider that the amount of hormones are unnatural, and way above what is normally present in an adult female of comparable age.

Were you exposed to manufactured estrogen in doses high enough to trigger changes in secondary sexual characteristics?

No?

How do you explain your preferences if it is hormonal and there aren't any hormones involved?

You also think you have the answers, even when you don't.

Not only were their words in Ancient Greek for heterosexual and homosexuals, there were even words for tops and bottoms.

Wait, that just proves you don't know nearly as much as you thought, which means you still don't have the answers.

I don't see seeing sex as fun and talking about straight and/or gay sex as mutually exclusive.

Then again, I am smarter than you are.

Last edited:
Not genetic, but probably epigenetic.

Epigenetic changes involve the switching on and off of genes due to outside influence. Epigenetic is why
pregnant women must not smoke or drink alcohol - two substances that affect gene expression.

So homosexuality is most likely "passed on" by hormonal changes that occur during pregnancy. Some are also studying whether sperm from gray haired (older) fathers tend to have epigenetic changes that make offspring prone to homosexuality.

Much more needs to be done in this field to determine if traits that are environmentally caused and inherited can be demonstrated clearly.

Regards from Rosie

Epigenetics is for people that want to insist that you can't control yourself, but can't prove it is genetics. In other words, it is for people who use fake science to justify their personal beliefs.

That's a very enlightened perspective, but based on your life experience. My opinion is that it could be genetic, environmental or a combination. There are people raised by heterosexual parents who felt they were always drawn physically to the same gender, with no interest in the opposite sex. I've also known 2 women who admitted that they chose, or felt they had no other choice, than to be with women after being molested by their fathers.

Would say that when people are molested when young, and wind up identifying as homosexual, that's more a matter of conditioning. I believe most sexual attractions take shape when young. So it's easy to imagine that if someone's first experience with sexuality is in the form of abuse, they'll naturally be repelled by the sex of whoever molested them.

But I don't believe it's limited to conditioning. Though most of what we do is the result of early conditioning. We learn language by imitating the speakers around us, and it's how and when accents form. And I think we learn sexuality the same way. But much of how we eventually become is because of societal standards. Since most of society is hard-wired towards heterosexuality, most of us identify that way. When some id as homo or bisexual I think conditioning played a part in early development that they would rebuff societal standards in favor or the different orientation. But ultimately, everything's the result of choice.

Who knows? It wouldn't shock me if one day scientist discover a gay gene. I do think it's biological, something wired in your brain that makes you attracted to the same sex. Then of course you choose what you are attracted to. So yeah, biological/choice 50/50.

Let's take for example, a chubby chaser. My buddy is a good looking guy, always got hit on by hot women, and every girlfriend he had was a little chubby. Now he's married to a chubby, and still to this day doesn't oogle over skinny women. Not my personal choice, but as he says, his brain is just wired that way. And of course, he picked a chubby for his wife. Was it a choice or his pre-wired brain? Or both?

There is no controversy. It's like saying there is controversy about whether the two lost tribes of Israel migrated to Central America, and are the ancestors of the Amerindians. Just because a lot of people want it to be true, doesn't mean there is "controversy." It just means there are lots of delusional people.

The American gay community has been searching in vain for a "gay" gene for decades. They want a gay gene to exist because it will make them feel more "normal." But simple logic refutes the claim. Gays don't reproduce, as a general rule, so if it were genetic, then within a generation or two there wouldn't be any gays left, right? There are sets of identical twins where one of them is gay. Lots of gay people with all hetero siblings.

No reputable scientist has ever found anything that could credibly be shown as a genetic marker indicating "gayness." Indeed, the discovery of such a gene could result - as with Down's Syndrome - the virtual end of homosexuality in the developed world; parents who discovered through prenatal testing that their kids were gay would abort. Sorry to say.

But it is a phenomenon that is puzzling indeed. What possible factor could cause a man to be sexually attracted to another man? It is a biological absurdity. The penis as a sex organ is biologically ideal for penetrating a vagina for the purpose to inseminating a woman. Another man, on the other hand, has no vagina, and the male-aggressor must seek sexual gratification in another man's anus.

Yuk.

Like it or not, that Robertson guy had a point.

Forum List

Back